http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:59 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have always wanted a trench shotgun but the choices being Chinese knockoff or $3000 for the real deal held be back.
The Stevens 620 is pretty much unchanged from civilian to military models. Oddly enough the civilian shotguns sell for dirt. The value is pathetically low for a nice pump gun. I picked up my donor shotgun for $125.
First thing to go was about 8" of barrel bringing it to about 19". Next the big teardown to every screw and spring. Since the civie model was checkered on the stock and fore end that had to go. The rear sling swivel was donated from a 1903 and the stock was not only relieved but the swivel recessed in the relief. The wood was then stripped and refinished with BLO. A reproduction heat shroud for a 1897 was procured and modified to fit the Stevens. Old scratched up blue was certainly not good enough for this build so the whole thing was blasted and parkerized. The original civie logos were blasted off for a cleaner look. Every trench gun needs a sling and bayonet so the 1917 versions of both were added.
I did not want there to be any confusion with the real deal so I did not add the proof marks or any other correct markings.
Total cost was only about $300 and I really had a lot of fun building it

Attachments:
IMG_3342 (2).JPG
IMG_3342 (2).JPG [ 3.8 MiB | Viewed 3414 times ]
IMG_3340.jpg
IMG_3340.jpg [ 98.89 KiB | Viewed 3414 times ]
IMG_3339.jpg
IMG_3339.jpg [ 95.3 KiB | Viewed 3414 times ]
IMG_3337.jpg
IMG_3337.jpg [ 99.91 KiB | Viewed 3414 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:16 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

That looks great! I've been looking to do a Stevens 520 in a similar manner. I did a Vietnam Stevens 77E out of a 77D last spring. I went the other way with my bluing and when I bought the 77, it had perfect bluing. I used a Scotch Brite pad to knock it off. There's a Westernfield in a local shop that looks very, very similar to the Stevens 520, but it's not an exact match. I'm sure someday if I haven't found a 520, I'll cave and make it from this.

For what it's worth, I've had the Norinco 1897s, 1887s and original Winchester ones. I feel much better taking the Norinco trench gun out shooting and hunting than I ever did with the original ones - the Norincos are very well made :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Westernfield is, I believe, a Montgomery Wards brand of the Savage/Stevens shotgun, it's the same exact gun except Westernfield is stamped on it.

The Norinco seems good for the price, if only I could get one without the electropencil proof marks. A Stevens is probably the best route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:01 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Very nice. I really those old trench guns. I'd like the norinco 1897 clone, but your Stevens looks great. s to newer trench guns, i 'd like to get a mossberg 590, but I want the long baonet. not the short m7's. and the m9's are just too expensive..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:39 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Very nice! I was lucky enough to stumble onto a US 520-30 before the prices went through the roof (pics attached). The heat shield is from a Winchester, but the rest is correct. The 520/620 is an original John Browning design, with the 520 being the earlier hump-backed model, similar in profile to an A5.

I've also made up a Model 12 trench gun using a hacksawed barrel from the "barrel bin" at a shop in Maine. I'd not want to do this to a nice old Model 12, but I kept all the old parts and can put it back to right whenever I want. But for now it's one nasty looking piece of work. No wonder the Germans filed a protest with the allies over their use in sweeping trenches in WWI.

Attachments:
Slide1.jpg
Slide1.jpg [ 850.16 KiB | Viewed 3371 times ]

Frequently wrong, never in doubt!