http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:40 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Have a 1945 sporting receiver, acquiring a mismatched sporting front end, will eventually cut to 20". Will need the heat shield/bayo lug (and the appropriate mag tube end, now that I think of it).

I see two sources for the 1897 version online, including IMA-USA and partsforantiqueguns.com, but not sure these will do the job. Will they fit? Will they stay on? Was there really a difference between the two attachments in the field or did they use the same and just modify the guns to fit? Partsforantiqueguns.com says theirs requires a shim between the unit and the barrel.

If anyone's done this here, share your story.

Zieg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I don't know if any of the repro bayo adaptors will fit. But I can tell you there is in fact a difference in the muzzle diameter between Model 12 riot or sporting barrels and the trench guns barrels. When the Military converted M12 riot guns to trench gun configuration they used a sleeve that fit over the muzzle end of the barrel which enabled the bayo adaptor to fit correctly. So, yes, you may have to shim or make some sort of sleeve in order to make the adaptor fit properly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:06 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I've used the reproductions from Numrich, and they fit the Model 12. You need to use care in cutting the grooves for the retaining bolts. Cut too deep and the bolts may pop through the bore. Too shallow and the threads will strip during installation.

Frequently wrong, never in doubt!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:04 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

It's starting to take shape in my head, but it will no doubt all come together as the parts arrive. I will document this with pics and post them here so folks will be able to duplicate it. Interesting that there's a threaded screw on the studded magazine plug. Numrich is sold out of that screw so I'm going to see whether the spring-loaded take down pin from the flat plug will take its place. Again, just a thought as I don't have the parts yet.

Zieg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:23 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Quote:
I'm going to see whether the spring-loaded take down pin from the flat plug will take its place

It will not fit. It's a totally different part. Check eBay and Gunbroker for reproduction plugs with the screw included. They are widely available.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:29 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

The more I look into it, the more difficult it becomes . . . Other forends do not fit, barrels require precise fitting, and so on. The cost and inconvenience were too great. So I bought a solid frame '97 instead! Have begun work on the project with a badly altered '97 and will post results in a separate topic later. Thanks for the advice, even though it fell through.

Zieg

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:56 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

If you are going to convert an 1897, you might want to pony up the extra $75 for a repro heat shield from East Taylor LLC: http://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/winreparts.html

The barrel on the Winchester 1897 is as thick as a black iron pipe. You can make the heat shields from Numrich and Sarco fit, but the slots for the bolts will cut nearly all the way through the barrel, and you'll install it with a hammer. You can file away metal from the inside of the Numrich/Sarco heat shield to lessen this, but it is laborious. Measure the OD of the barrel at 20.5", and the ID of the heat shield before you start.

You'll still need a repro plug for the mag tube, and the proper screw.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:37 am 

These folks are some of the best in the country for rebuilding Winchesters. I have dealt with them for years.
http://wrightsgunsmiths.com/wrightsgunsmiths_004.htm

"If you need Anything more, you either love to waste money on useless crap, or have to wear flip flops, because you are too stupid for Velcro sneakers." Burner