Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

98/22's

Keiths
United States of America

98/22's

#1 Post by Keiths » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:41 am

I had been trying to sell a 98/22 on another website that has an active classified area, and there doesn't seem to be any interest. Is there something wrong with the 98/22's that would make them hard to sell? Just curious. I airways thought they were good rifles. I originally bought a few to sporterize, and changed my mind. Decided to keep them original. Not trying to sell here. Just trying to find out if it's a rifle that's worth trying to sell or if there's something i don't know about them. They seem to be good rifles, but maybe I missed something.
Last edited by Keiths on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shoggoth80
United States of America

Re: 98/22's

#2 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:22 pm

I don't think so. It may be a combination of factors such as wrong target audience, lack of knowledge, asking price etc.

I haven't seen many Mauser rifles that are poorly built. I have seen some that have seen seriously hard use over the years. Do you have an ad up?

EdHoffer
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by EdHoffer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Keiths wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:41 am
I had been trying to sell a 98/22 on another website that has an active classified area, and there doesn't seem to be any interest. Is there something wrong with the 98/22's that would make them hard to sell? Just curious. I airways thought they were good rifles. I originally bought a few to sporterize, and changed my mind. Decided to keep them original.
I saw this and another of your posts. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it seems it you are hoping to get a nibble for a offer to buy. If you don't change the wording this post might go bye bye.

Keiths
United States of America

#4 Post by Keiths » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Will do.

EdHoffer
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by EdHoffer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:31 pm

I've been involved with Czech rifles, pistols and weaponory for a few decades. Here is my take on the 92/22. They were built without for profit and without an iron foot on their throat. Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic has it seems been more concerned with the craftsmanship versus who the order was for. Even the 24's with of course some sabotage, where excellently built. If you look at the quality of their weaponry throughout the ages, even before they were Czech but Austrian/Hungarian the product was ornate and perfection.

The 98/22 both types of sights, GEW or Ladder where in my opinion if you found one with a good bore and lands were excellent shooters, and accurate.

I have numerous Czech firearms, and only bought those that I approved of in my strict guidelines. Whether a 22/23/24 all with iron sights will on average consistently 2 inches or better (sand bag rest). The 22's I find to be a tad more accurate than their shorter barreled cousins, but the shorter barrel causes me problems with the shorter sight distance.

By far in my "biased opinion", with the exception of my virtually new rock river arsenal 1903A's, and others they are my pride and joy.

I hope that answers your questions in whole. It comes down to a careful condition check (hopefully) before you purchase and your marksmanship skills.

The Turks are a another question. Where they Czech manufacture, or Turk Manufacture. Even with Cz machines, not all machinist are alike. The Turks I have examined, and the few I have many were not purchased because of rough spots. Barrel Condition -- well they tended to get well used over there, and the arid desert isn't exactly middle Europe.

Ed

Keiths
United States of America

#6 Post by Keiths » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:00 pm

That is truly a wealth of information. Thank you. I've always liked Czech guns, new or old. I originally bought them to sporterize, but their condition was better than most I had seen. I'm glad I kept them original. They have the ladder sights.

Return to “Czech Rifles”