Restoring VZ 24

Jager1130

Restoring VZ 24

Post by Jager1130 »

So this is my first time on the forum, so sorry if this is in the wrong place or whatnot, but I'm just looking for advice/help fixing this old VZ 24. I got it already sporterized but it was done pretty poorly, the Boyd's stock its in is nice but just looking at the picatinny rails makes me cringe every time.. any ideas on what I can do to remedy this? Just remove the mounts, put original furniture on it and live with the holes in the receiver?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... dTNkhCUkJR
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Restoring VZ 24

Post by 72 usmc »

Well you got a bent bolt, the rails for a scope/tapped holes and a chopped stock. Parts are so expensive it's not worth the effort to restore because it got the scope holes and messed up bolt. So that seems to be a nice stock, why not get a scope you like and use it as a hunting rifle?? Or you can get a complete VZ 24 stock with metal & hand guard (so searching for all the parts does not kill you on shipping) at generally under $140 depending on auction and source. Sometimes around 60-80 bucks. The bolt is nuts unless you get a bolt body and use all the other bolt parts. But will it headspace??? It may take two or three bodies unless you are at a gun show and can try the bolts for fit. But you need a field gauge. Can you live with that crazy bent bolt? It's cheeper. The day of $25 bolts is gone; a replacement bolt is likely $100-140. Scope holes can be filled with a cut off and smoothed screws. Of course if you want a scope you would most likely keep the bent bolt. So , :think: Lets say a complete stock $125 and a bolt 125 you got $250 plus shipping in a rifle with tapped holes. Not good. Or you get a nice scope $200-600 and stock $125 and you got a shooter. Even with a cheep $125 scope + stock 125 you are back at $250. Or the best bet is to get a scope and keep everything as is for a shooter. Then buy a nice complete VZ 24 intact specimen with crest and an original sling at a gun show say a 350-450 adventure. Or you are lucky and an old fart dies and you see an RC K98k at $450-600 . Maybe an Israeli 308 k98 ? It's like restoring an old car, it will be cool, but you will never be able to get the money out of it- it's a money pit.
check out this post: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =13&t=1911

How much do you love that rifle, how well does it shoot? Does it have a mint bore and matching bolt with correct headspace? Back in the day of cheep parts, restoration was fun. It is still fun, but it is now a money pit.
:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: My 2 cents, get an intact Vz stock, find a scope you like, and enjoy it as a shooter especially if the bent bolt matches & its got a mint bore.

There are some complete stocks on flee bay. Caution with shipping, some of the anti gun shippers damage stocks, I got a K98k stock cracked and a C shaped box. Always pay for Insu. and signature delivery.
Check the barrel and be sure it was not shortened. Check the rifle headspace on a FIELD gauge. See how it shoots prior to any decision.
If you are 19 you got a lifetime to find a nice collector 8mm Mauser, Most of the old guys are dropping like flys and the good stuff is coming out of the wood work-- You just got stumble onto the right small gun show or club show where the kid or wife is getting rid of the old guys collection. Go to gun shows big & small. Good things come to those that wait... I have had 2 friends want to sell guns due to a lack of money. It will be interesting when gun shows reopen and see what is being sold off for much needed cash. It will be a buyers market for those that have cash.

Sorry, I see you are in Calf. do they even have gun shows? I shook the dust off and left years ago.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
LEP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by LEP »

1 option is to put it in military dress and add a vintage scope for a 'faux' sniper. I do know where complete stock sets for a VZ-24 can be sourced.
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

1 option is to put it in military dress and add a vintage scope for a 'faux' sniper.
I like that idea :dance: , but it comes at a cost. Miller tyme would know a good price estimate and where to find a correct scope. He collects sniper rifles. Maybe PM him. His latest toy http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =13&t=4035
None made at Brno: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... iper-rifle
views of sniper scopes on VZ 24
https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... per-Photos
https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=231464
So I am not into sniper rifles but they do make Reproduction scopes for a K98 ZF 39 but I think its a $400-500 scope???? Again PM Miller Tyme. here is one of his K98Ks: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =13&t=3363

An original stock and reproduction scope and you are ready to go and such a rifle would turn some eyes at the range for a cool factor 10+

This guy sold Mosin stuff, https://www.accumounts.com/german-k98.html
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
Jager1130

Post by Jager1130 »

72 usmc wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:41 pm It's like restoring an old car, it will be cool, but you will never be able to get the money out of it- it's a money pit.
check out this post: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =13&t=1911

How much do you love that rifle, how well does it shoot? Does it have a mint bore and matching bolt with correct headspace? Back in the day of cheep parts, restoration was fun. It is still fun, but it is now a money pit.
:character-oldtimer: :character-oldtimer: My 2 cents, get an intact Vz stock, find a scope you like, and enjoy it as a shooter especially if the bent bolt matches & its got a mint bore.

There are some complete stocks on flee bay. Caution with shipping, some of the anti gun shippers damage stocks, I got a K98k stock cracked and a C shaped box. Always pay for Insu. and signature delivery.
Check the barrel and be sure it was not shortened. Check the rifle headspace on a FIELD gauge. See how it shoots prior to any decision.
If you are 19 you got a lifetime to find a nice collector 8mm Mauser, Most of the old guys are dropping like flys and the good stuff is coming out of the wood work-- You just got stumble onto the right small gun show or club show where the kid or wife is getting rid of the old guys collection. Go to gun shows big & small. Good things come to those that wait... I have had 2 friends want to sell guns due to a lack of money. It will be interesting when gun shows reopen and see what is being sold off for much needed cash. It will be a buyers market for those that have cash.

Sorry, I see you are in Calf. do they even have gun shows? I shook the dust off and left years ago.
A money pit, that's what I was afraid of :(

Sadly bolt is not original and bore is not mint, but not bad either, "worn in" is how I would describe it. I'd seen a few on eBay from $50-100 or so, thanks for the advice about the insurance I wasn't aware people would be out damaging product, eesh.

I'm taking it out shooting first time tomorrow, if it handles well and I like the feel I'll see what the next steps are, I suppose finding a proper scope mounting system that will get the rings high enough that the scope clears the bolt! I've seen pics of the old factory scope mounts, they're crazy high up by modern standards, but even repros are very expensive.

Yeah, Cali ain't the place for me, I can't even buy long guns anymore(they raised the minimum age to 21 right after I got this a year ago!), but I'm looking to move to a better place shortly with gun shows galore. Thanks for your advice and insight!
Jager1130

Post by Jager1130 »

LEP wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:13 am 1 option is to put it in military dress and add a vintage scope for a 'faux' sniper. I do know where complete stock sets for a VZ-24 can be sourced.
Yeah I've been able to find complete stock sets in well used condition but serviceable and solid. The trouble I've had with that is finding a scope mount and scope within a reasonable price for a gun with no historical value.. Not trying to put a $500 scope on a $400 gun :snooty:
I am quite fond of military-original rifles though, my M48BO all matching is my favorite gun right now, I'm starting up a Mauser collection it seems..
bobvz

Post by bobvz »

If you want a hunting rifle I'd recommend parting out the stock and barreled action separately. Take the money and buy a Savage 110 or Remington 700. Someone would like the action for a sporter project. And maybe the stock. If you want a good historic shooter save the money and wait for an opportunity.
echo1

Post by echo1 »

Just scope it and be done. Move on to the next Item. PAX
Jager1130

Post by Jager1130 »

Well after seeing everyone's ideas, I've settled on what LEP suggested and ordered an original stock set off eBay, will save this sporter stock for another one later on I suppose, pulled out the scope mounts. It shot perfectly accurate, pinging steel at 100 yards, landed 4/5 shots within 10 seconds(just shooting fast as I accurately could), the rear scope mount rubbed the bolt as I worked it though so putting a scope on it is a no go for this one.. maybe someday I can afford a repro scope mount and I'll slap that on it, thanks for y'all's suggestions, input and info!

Return to “Czech Rifles”