http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

i have done a little research and so far i haven't found anything suggesting that they cant but my girlfriends brother who is Korean and a lawful permanent resident for many years now would like to purchase a pistol for home defense here in Houston, TX. is he legal to do so? are there nay LPR's here on the forum that legally own firearms? any input and credible links would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:12 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Yes,
If you are a legal resident and hold a "green card" with the corresponding A# number, you can purchase and own a gun.
I just became a US citizen last year and for more than 10 years I was able to buy many guns.
The only difference id that usually they will hold the approval for a couple of days so they do more exhaustive search.
In my case there were occasions where the approval was immediate, sometimes half a day and on one occasion 3 days.
There is a limit I think of 10 days, if after 10 days the BATF does not contact the dealer he is obligated to give you the gun.
If he takes a concealed carry permit course and get the permit, it wont take more than 20 minutes for approval.
Oscar

The second step is to ignore the first step

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:10 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Permanent resident aliens can purchase and own any firearm that a citizen can. Any restriction on such would be unconstitutional, which is why North Dakota's prohibition of CCW permits for LPR's will be struck down.

From the ATF FAQ:
Quote:
Q: I have a “green card” and have lived in Texas for several years. Am I prohibited from purchasing firearms and ammunition from an FFL in Texas?

As long as you are not otherwise prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms and ammunition (for example, a felon), Federal law does not prohibit you from purchasing or possessing firearms or ammunition. However, you will need to put your alien number or admission number on the ATF Form 4473 (5300.9) and provide the FFL with documentation establishing you have resided in Texas for more than 90 consecutive days preceding the transaction. Moreover, you must make sure there are no State or local restrictions on such a purchase.

Restrictions exist for non-immigrant aliens:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nonimmi ... possession

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

thank you so much for the great info guys another reason why i love this great forum!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:41 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

As others have said, absolutely. I was an LPR for a few years before getting Citizenship and there are a few extra hoops to jump through, such as providing proof of residency and usually having to wait a few days on the background check. Best check locally to ensure all the state laws are being followed.

I have had stores (Wal-mart, Dunham's, independent stores) refuse to sell to me, so be prepared for that also. Whether it's the extra hassle or some other reason, it happens. Annoying, but they have the right to refuse sale, so there ain't much you can do about it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

<<<<<<<NEW QUESTION>>>>>>

if i have a pistol i acquired through using my C&R can i gift it to a LPR who is a close friend?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

alex124485 wrote:

if i have a pistol i acquired through using my C&R can i gift it to a LPR who is a close friend?

Probably, unless there is a state law that forbids it. Be sure to check on that with your local police/county office and complete any sort of transfer of ownership, background check, proof of residency and/or registration paperwork that may apply.

LPR's can own handguns just fine, and can even get a CPL. At least here in Michigan.

Again, check local and state laws beforehand, don't just take the word of someone on an internet forum!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Alex C wrote:
alex124485 wrote:

Probably, unless there is a state law that forbids it. Be sure to check on that with your local police/county office and complete any sort of transfer of ownership, background check, proof of residency and/or registration paperwork that may apply.

LPR's can own handguns just fine, and can even get a CPL. At least here in Michigan.

Again, check local and state laws beforehand, don't just take the word of someone on an internet forum!

thanks for the great insight alex :thumb: i had full intention of doing so, just thought id ask all my buddies here on SRF :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

alex124485 wrote:

Yes, if you are both residents of the same state, the close friend is not otherwise a prohibited person and no state law prohibits the transaction.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:29 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

awesome. :thumb: thank you very much!!!! do have any links in addition to this?