MAS 36 winter cleaning

Les Fusils Militaires Français, Chassepot, Gras, Lebel, Berthier et MAS 36
Vandervecken

MAS 36 winter cleaning

Post by Vandervecken »

I tore down my mas 36 for a detail clean and maybe a go at a better trigger. I did a light polish job on the trigger contact surfaces. Had a heck of a time getting the trigger group to receiver pin back in. I even used a pin sized punch as a slave pin and finally got it in. Re-assembled the rifle and installed the bolt. When I pulled the trigger I found a much smoother let off. THEN I retracted the bolt and it came completely out. THEN I glanced down at the floor and found the small spring from the trigger group looking at me. Re-do spring back in. Bolt stop works now. Grrrr.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: MAS 36 winter cleaning

Post by 72 usmc »

Generally you do not want to remove the wood because it changes the zero & bedding of the rifle as set at the armory. Here is a neat video, one of the better ones on my favorite rifle> https://www.full30.com/watch/MDA5ODMy/m ... nto-action
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

steamer

Post by steamer »

I hate it when that happens - for me, it was the forearm support spring on an SMLE. Oh well, ya get better at it every time you do a disassembly/reassembly.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Here is a nice take down, cartoon video, that is actually helpful for those that just got a Mas 36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_T1vAeu-xc
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

indy1919a4
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic

Post by indy1919a4 »

I do love those animated take down & how they work videos.. I really do not know what we did with out them before

Return to “French Rifles”