Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Shooting my first reloads out of a 98K in 1964

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Shooting my first reloads out of a 98K in 1964

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:35 am

I had worked all summer long in order to get enough money to by a LEE Loader in 8x57MM Mauser, a box of Speer 170 grain round nose bullets ( all the gun shop had) a pound of IMR-4350 and a flat of primers. I bought the RCBS lube pad and their god awful lube that was like a mixture of STP and honey. A case "cricket" tool was given to me by the store owner,a good thing to he did..
I had found 20 rounds of once fired brass in the box on the ground at our local range ( a four mile bike ride from my house ) and was so excited to load my first ammo by myself.
Reloading for 8mm was really not needed as surplus ammo was so cheap back them. But I wanted to go hunting with my Dad's captured 98K rifle so much I was determined to load for it.
I made $6.00 a week,yes a week! back them delivering papers. Hard work as I had 250 customers and there was no such thing a plastic bags to put the papers in when the weather was wet,which was most of the time.
I lived in Maryland at the time and the forest were dense brush and a mixture of Oak,Ash and pine tress. I knew from reading that the round nose bullet would do well in this area.
I had read all I could get my hands on from the library on the subject of reloading. I felt I had a good understanding of what needed to be done.
The LEE Loader only sizes the neck and shoulder. So, I slopped on the case lube and pounded in the casing into the die and of course the case was crushed.Way too much lube.
I then only applied the smallest amount and the case was perfect. I de-capped the case and re-primed it. I scooped the powder into the shell and then seated the bullet. I turned the loaded round over and set the crimp by hammering the round backwards into the die. I now had loaded ammo that I did and the 170 grain bullet was going down range at 2,490 FPS. I remember that to this day.
I had my First loaded round of 8mm Mauser! I was so proud of myself. I loaded up the remaining 18 rounds of ammo and told Mom I was going to the range.
My Dad's rifle did not have a usable sling on it. It had been shorted by the German soldier for some unknown reason.
I had to hold the rifle on the handlebars of my Banana Bike as I rode the four miles along Ritchie Highway to get the range. The rifle was smashing my figures on each bump but I did not care. I was going to shoot my hand loads come Hell and High Water! ( a kid carrying a rifle was a normal sight in those days )
The weather was typical spring day in Maryland. Overcast and gray.
I had been shooting 50 foot indoor .22LR target rifles for a few years by then and was a fair shot at close range. All my targets from practice were 50 foot NRA rated.
The best I could do was to place the target at 100 yards and still see the darn thing.
I brought along a few surplus rounds to get onto target. They shot low but were on target using a 6 o'clock hold. The front sight was so much bigger than the target!
I loaded up the magazine with five rounds and taking my time,shot them all. I was trained not to leave the shooting position until the rifle was empty so as not to disturb the point of aim and my shooting position. I could just hold the 98K and see the sights. I was only 13 at the time.
I was the only shooter. It was a Wednesday.
When I did safe the range and go down I was very happy with what I did. I marked my shot with a pencil. I had rounds left and wanted to keep them for hunting. I still to this day have a couple of rounds left in the original cardboard box. I never saw a deer while using my Dad's rifle while huting.
I stuffed the target into my shirt so not to fold it, and rode my bike home smashing my fingers all the way back. I had shot my first reloads and they worked! This was to start a lifetime of reloading. And to this day when I load up 8x57 Mauser I still have fond memories of that day I fired my first reload.
My first reloaded ammo target 001.jpg
Dads Mauser1.jpg
Dads Mauser2.jpg
Dads Mauser3.jpg
Dads Mauser4.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

DaleH
United States of America

Re: Shooting my first reloads out of a 98K in 1964

#2 Post by DaleH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:02 pm

Awesome ‘throw back’ story, wonderful memories there!

TNGhost
United States of America

#3 Post by TNGhost » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:48 pm

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

A lot better than what one sees in what passes for "gun magazines" these days.

OldRog
United States of America

#4 Post by OldRog » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:53 pm

THanks for sharing, very interesting in the 50's as a kid i carried a Savage over and under 22/410 uncased walking down the road to farmers land to hunt and no one cared.

41magman
United States of America

#5 Post by 41magman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:31 am

Great memories there!..........reminds me of Dad teaching me over 45 yrs ago.

I'm a former MD Terp also, what county did ya live?...…...I camped/fished/hunted all over the state and never ID'd Ash trees that I can remember.

Stahlhelm
United States of America

#6 Post by Stahlhelm » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:17 am

Cool story and beautiful Mauser. And I liked the part about you riding to the range on your Banana Bike. I always coveted one of those back in the 60's but my folks were too cheap, lol. :D

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:56 pm

I'm a Glen Burn-out, lived in Harundale, Anne Arundel County.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Return to “German Rifles”