Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Isreal 7.62

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
junkadict
United States of America

Isreal 7.62

#1 Post by junkadict » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:34 pm

Just a heads up APEX has mauser 7.62 barrels in stock. For all who bought the trashed 98s with sewer pipe barrels a few years ago.
The barrel I got I'm vary happy with.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Isreal 7.62

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:55 pm

OK, $100 NOS + gunsmith fee :think: :think: :think:
Here is the link for the wizards that could do there own switchie-switchie
https://www.apexgunparts.com/catalogsea ... arrel+7.62

Maybe someone can do a tutorial on how to switch out barrels and the tools needed. It would be a cool sticky.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by RWS » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:51 am

NOS Israeli 7.62 barrels like these were on the market about 30 years ago. I bought one. The only visible difference I see between the one I bought and these from APEX is that mine came blued. After receiving mine I discovered that they were made for short action 98's. While you can mount a short action barrel on a long action, the barrel steps usually won''t line up with the stock cut-outs on a long action. Of course, it will be just fine for making a sporter. Most 98 short actions you find will be either FN or Czech, or at least that was my experience. Eventually I found a Czech VZ24 rifle with a completely shot out barrel for $25.

Making a barrel wrench for Mauser 98 actions is fairly simple. The top of the action is hemispherical and the bottom is completely flat. I had an old 18" long piece of 2" square cold-rolled steel, drilled 2 holes in it, and mounted a 1-1/2" U-bolt on it. Use a quality U-bolt and double-nut it. Voila, instant wrench (and a VERY heavy one at that).
61JJtLOfQ4L._SX679_.jpg
I used a set of M16 HBAR barrel clamps in a 6" vise to keep the barrel from turning. Removing the old barrel and installing the new one was fairly straight-forward but of course the barrel was short-chambered and this is where the economy goes out the window unless you happen to have a 7.62x51 or .308 chamber reamer. I had to wait over a year to find someone that had a chamber reamer and would loan it to me. I only had to ream the chamber about .005", but without the reamer the bolt would never close on a live round.

That was over 30 years ago and I'm working from memory because I eventually gave that rifle away. Plus, I can't guarantee that the barrels Apex is offering are the same short-action barrels that I bought but I am just throwing out the info I remember in case it helps anyone. Otherwise, consider it senile mutterings and disregard.

-Bob

Crazysarge16
United States of America

#4 Post by Crazysarge16 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:13 am

I’ve always wanted an 7.62 Mauser, might be time to do it

Return to “German Rifles”