PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:06 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Here is the article:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/hakim3.htm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:00 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

This link doesn't seem to work any longer. Anybody still have the info?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

They really don't work to well in my experience. I've got one done by someone who really knows their stuff when it comes to firearms but it has never worked right in my Hakim. Save your money for ammo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I bought 2 converted 25 rounders off JB and they both work great in both my Hakims. If you really want one I'd buy one of his and save yourself a lot of work. Can be found on GB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

i did a major search on Sunday for some info. I just ordered 4 mags to convert myself. I am no gunsmith, but an armorer for 15+ yrs in the Navy, and I know my way around weapons. Here is the info I found, did a copy and paste from some old site.

Got a Egyptian Hakim and want more firepower?

Here's the scoop in BASIC ENGLISH. STEP BY STEP.

Well First you'll need

1. A Hakim Rifle.
2. A German MG13 25rd Magazine.
3. Simple hand tools a dremel preferred.
4. BASIC MEASUREMENT SKILLS.

1. Clear out your rifle .

2. Field Strip it.

3. Remove the triggerguard/magazine housing.

Pick up your Mg13 mag. Disassemble it ,a very easy task. Cut off the mag lug on the front of the Mag and grind smooth.

NOW attempt to insert your MG13 mag into the mag well assembly. Look at the area that covers up the "spine" of the magazine.
You need to grind the portion out of the mag well untill you get a smooth fit. You don't want a sloppy or a super tight fit.
When It fits into the mag well .

Take it out. MEASURE Exactly 7" from the BOTTOM. You need to remove only the spine that goes over the 7" mark.

Once done. MEASURE 6 1/2" from the BOTTOM Starting at the 6 1/2" MARK . YOU WILL MAKE A NOTCH into the SPINE that is
Exaclty 3/8" open. The left over Metal between the Notch and Top of your mag will be the piece that will ENGAGE your mag
catch (itself will be 1/8"). Now test it out . It should fit perfectly (expect very minor tolerances ).

NOW For the MAGAZINE FOLLOWER.

LOOK at it from the REAR. There's 2 "EARS" on the back . REMOVE THE LEFT ONE COMPLETELY.
FOR the Right one MEASURE from the bottom 1/4" and CUTOFF what is left above the 1/4" mark . This will act as your bolt
hold open when your'e empty.

Compare the Rear of your Original HAKIM MAG to the MG13 . Notice how the MG13 mag has metal the runs flush with the rear of
the follower. You need to remove this metal so it is at the same level as your MAG STOP on the follower or the bolt will
slam into it. Very Simple.

Now Put your rifle back together completely. Go somewhere SAFE. Load up your mag with about 6 rounds (real rounds or dummys ,
empties won't work for the test). Put the mag in and LOCK the MAG catch lock. If it doesn't lock check your grinding areas
for smoothness.

Put the Rifle on SAFE and lock your bolt to the rear. Now put it on FIRE and let the bolt go forward. It should feed.
IF not The MAG lips will need tweaked very little. I suggest using something to remove the raw material off the edges of
the Mag lips so It's Smooth. HAND CYCLE the WHOLE MAG. Take note of which side GOOFS and adjust mag lips accordingly.

I have breezed thru this and have not made any changes to it. Soon as i get my 4 mags in and end up scrapping one of them for practice. I will document and photo the second mag to repost here.
:mrgreen:
scott

I will add updates here just to keep from alot of new posts:
update: 25jan2009

Got my mags in on friday, below zero today, so i disassembled mags for cleaning in boiling hot soapy water. Upon disassembly, the inside of mags still had sticky cosmoline. So back to the old days of cleaning! Hot soapy water and a tooth, letting air dry now, and apply a light coat of oil. They don't make things like the use too, mags are in great shape. just wish i had the weapon to go with them. all mags manuf in 1928! very minor surface rust on two. cleaned up rust with a scotch bright pad. further updates to follow shortly :thumb:

Last edited by yooper_sjd on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:34 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Ok, time for an update, been far too long, and received various emails about the process.

basically boils down to two ways to do this modification.

1. Modify the rifle by squaring the the rounded area in the magazine well area for the magazine lock to accept the the square spline of the MG-13 mag, and file a notch into the spline for the mag lock to catch in.
NOTE: doing this will be a permanent modification to your rifle; May decrease the value of your rifle; May not alllow the original mag to fit tight, and flop around during firing causing miss feeds/stove pipes.

2. The other means is two perform a modification to the Magazine itself. I pretty much removed a section of the spline, and added a peice of steel pipe which you can do by welding or brazing. Attached are Photo's of JB's mag which someone posted in an older post, and photo's of my modified magazine.

my mag:

JB's mag:

My mag:

JB's Mag:

sorry about some of the fuzzyness but here are a better pic:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:47 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

continued:

Mine look alittle rough, but are functional!!!! :thumb:

So here is how I based my measurements:

The original post that I found was old, links did not work, but instead of basing my measurements of the base of the mag and trying to follow the curve of the spline to figure out where to cut it off. If you notice in the Photo's above, the mag stops on the sides of the magazine is where I removed the spline, from that point up. The same on JB's mag!

The section of steel pipe (3/4" OD) should only be about an inche long, and should sit no higher than .200. I cut an approx 1/3rd and filed to the height.

You will need to degrease/de-oil the magazine for welding/brazing and remove bluing/parkerizine on this section of pipe to the magazine. After welding brazing the section on, try to fit into magazine well, and clean up any areas of weld/braze that are interfering with mag fit.
When the mag fits snuggly into the magazine well, try to engage the Magazine lock, this should slightly mark the section of pipe where to file or grind the locking notch.

Then just mearly follow the instructions above for modifications to mag follower and to adjust the mag lips for smooth feeding.

If you are not a welder, or don't know anyone who welds or brazes, JB does have these available at a price! He appears to put them out when there is demand for these. Or you can just make them yourself!

Maybe someday, I will smoothen all this out, with better photo's for submission as an article?!
But the process is pretty simple, the notes here are rough and scetchy. Any questions feel free to ask #-o

Hope someone will find this info useful.

Yoop; GMG1 USN (ret)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:53 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Hi, question.

Are the 25 round mg-13 mag you are using original mags or reproduction?

MY K98 http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=88341&
Persian,Swede,Mausers,SKS,Mosin,Enfield,K11/K31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:27 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Icfmotm wrote:
Hi, question.

Are the 25 round mg-13 mag you are using original mags or reproduction?

I have never seen, or heard of a reproduction mg 13 magazine. I remember reading about this conversion way back in 1985-6 in Firepower magazine.
I've never done this, but all mags 've seen ( in ads, or online,) were org 1930's make. There are enough out there if you want to do it, but I'd get a few soon. the g man may ban them again.
and i'd only mod the mag not the rifle...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:30 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I don't know how much those mag are worth or are they even collectible...but i just wouldn't mod a collectible mag if they are indeed worth collecting.

MY K98 http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=88341&
Persian,Swede,Mausers,SKS,Mosin,Enfield,K11/K31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:14 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Well people find beenie babies collectable for some stupid reason.
But since there are probably 5 or 6 MG13's left in the world and millions of magazines were left over. They were selling for $5-$15 each.
They are really not very collectable.

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

ive got one i havent used in awhile but it works from what i remember. ITs a bear to pull in and out though really have to give a real hard pull to loosen it then pull it out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Email or address for JB, anyone
know what he sells mags for. Thanks
RC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:40 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hey,
I know it's a late reply, but here is your info.

On GB, his user ID is "jb573". As of today, 2-9-2012, he sells the Converted 25 round MG-13 mags for $84.00 + $7.50 shipping.

Here is his EXACT auction text from one he has on sale today "Have a 25 round Mag for the Hakim 8mm Egyptian rifle. Get more shooting goodness out of that great rifle. Mag locks up and functions as original. No mods to your rifle ! Auction is for One 25 round magazine . I stock many other parts for the Hakim and Rasheed. Email for further info. Buyer pays $7.50 priority shipping." Here is a link to an auction ending in 3 days 9 hrs. : http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =271751666

The mags have the original German manufacture date stamped on them along with 3 German Waffenamt proof stamps.

Hope this helps someone, and jb of course...:-)

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:46 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

GB does quality work... but there are other places out there where you can 4 of these magazines with original carry case for that price, just need the tech savvy and skills to do it yourself....