Classic has Carcano Calvary Carbines

NorthMan

Classic has Carcano Calvary Carbines

Post by NorthMan »

NorthMan

Re: Classic has Carcano Calvary Carbines

Post by NorthMan »

Now PSA is selling a different model Carcano...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/surplus ... x52mm.html

Somebody must be clearing out their old inventories.

wjh

Post by wjh »

It is crazy how a few years changes things. I was collecting Carcano rifles because they were cheap and nobody seemed to want them. Most were bought for $100, sometimes less. Perhaps it is time to start selling some. I wonder who had these hidden away for so long. Does anyone know if they are new imports?

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Does anyone know if they are new imports?

Classics garbage is from the guns being brought into the United States by Royal Tiger Imports acquired in the Ethiopia hoard.
haile-selassie-treasure-royal-tiger-import-guns-13.jpg
Something like the dusty, dung covered, rotten junk in the Nepalese Royal Armory Hoard from years back. The best rifles are ones with goat hoof prints visible on the stock :lol: :lol: They sell at request. Some are autographed by the goat! :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
see American Rifleman:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... r-imports/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIkF8N4FPVc

RTI is the primary importing source. Classic buys the dregs, RTI has some of the better condition ones.
https://www.royaltigerimports.com/category-s/1900.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS5SPFsU05M

Ethiopian Arms from InterOrdnance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GpKGePUr_Q
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

wjh

Post by wjh »

That is fascinating. I didn't know these things. I think I'll stick with the ones I have. I even got a duffle cut long rifle, the barrel looks brand new. I won't say what I paid for it, because today it would look like thievery. One of my most prized Carcano accessories is a leather cavalry scabbard. I've seen a photo with one on a motorcycle. I believe I posted it in the old forum.

burad

Post by burad »

The one i just received from Classic looks a LOT better than the stuff RTI has.
And it was NOT imported by RTI.
i just posted this further down:
It says, on the left side of the receiver just above the wood, in tiny letters:

ITALY M .91 6.5X52MM
PW ARMS REDMOND, WA
Last edited by burad on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

The one i just received from Classic looks a LOT better than the stuff RTI has.
And it was NOT imported by RTI.

Can we see some pics of yours.

:techie-error:
I stand corrected. Big error, huge, ... :oops: I am more use to the British and German mauser stuff.

Burad got this right. :text-bravo: :dance: Classic has two different sources depending on what you buy. Here their Cavalry Carcanos come from the Italian National police. NICE------ Much better than RTIs Ethiopian Carcanos. Just watch because they do sell some firearms sourced from RTI 's hoard. But these Cavalry ones are not RTI. This was confirmed by phone. Can go C&R or FFL not antique.
$269 is not a bad price at todays market.
Burad, :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: What if any import mark is on these?? Can we have a photo of it to see its location?

Note - This is an extraordinary lot of rifles in that they were issued to the Italian Carabinieri, which is a national police unit in Italy that functions under the umbrella of the Ministry Of Defense. As such, these rifles have not seen foreign combat, and they were stored in Italy in government-controlled arsenals upon being turned in. That means that they have far less use and are in far better condition than most Carcano rifles that find their way to the U.S. marketplace. Don't confuse these with others.... this is an excellent group of guns.

:arrow: That's a fact , jack! And even at gun shows those pig stickers go $225- 275. So Classic has some good prices on nice condition, short, sexy pig sticker, Cavalry Carcanos.

video of unboxing- these do look mighty fine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVKt-0OAM8o
Adopted in 1893, the M91 Carcano Cavalry Carbine was the smaller variant of the standard-issue 1891 infantry rifle. This model was much shorter and lighter than the original, which made it more maneuverable on the battlefield, particularly for light cavalry units. This model also featured the spike bayonet, gave cavalrymen an additional back-up if they were not using their sabers. Like the earlier models, the cavalry rifles are also chambered in 6.5X52mm or "6.5 Carcano" and feed from a 6 round En Bloc clip. Functionally, these were the same as the standard-issue infantry rifles but more compact. The bolt-action on this rifle is incredibly smooth and they feature a traditionally turned bolt knob. Unlike many of the "Heavy Use " Carcano rifles that you may have seen in the past, these rifles were issued to and carried by the Italian Carabinieri and were then stored in government-controlled arsenals in Italy upon turn in. See additional details below. These rifles are an incredible piece of history and deserve a spot in your Classic Firearms Collection! C & R Eligible

Please see a more complete description under the Show More Tab below for further details on the condition of these rifles.

Note - These do not come with an En Bloc Clip.

KEY SPECS
MANUFACTURER
Italy
CALIBER/GAUGE
6.5x52mm Carcano
ACTION
Bolt Action
BARREL LENGTH
17.5"
CONDITION
Surplus / Used
SKU #
LNG-M91-CAVALRY-CARBINE
What an incredible find and a beautiful piece of world history as well! This M91 Carcano Cavalry Carbine was adopted in 1893 and was generally issued to mounted troops such as cavalry, Bersaglieri (bicycle cavalry), Carabinieri, or to any other unit which needed a smaller variant of the long 1891 infantry rifle with an attached bayonet. This new model of the Carcano was much shorter than it's predecessors with a 17.5" barrel, which made it perfect for mounted travel slung across the back or tight confines of a vehicle. The M91 Calavay Carbine also featured the spike bayonet. This was welcome by the troops, as they did not have to deal with having a long bayonet/scabbard on their belt, and it could also be used as a back-up means of defense during trench warfare. The bayonet was extraordinarily ergonomic, making it not only lightweight but also ideal for cavalry as they could utilize it very effectively at rifle length distances before transitioning to their sabres. This variant also features the new sighting system, which is graduated up to 1500 meters to account for the shorter barrel. Also added to this model was a sling bar on the side of the stock as well as the nose cap of the rifle.

These Rifles Are C & R Eligible.

About the Condition

These rifles range from NRA Surplus Good to Very Good condition. With older surplus rifles such as these, please note that it is common for most to have dents, dings, bluing loss, etc. but do not let that deter you, by Carcano standards, these are some of the cleanest rifles we have seen. At the time of production, it is estimated that less than 300,000 of these rifles were produced, making them an incredible find. If you are looking for a cosmetically nicer rifle, we do offer the "Hand Select" option, which will get you the best of 10 for cosmetic condition.

Note - This is an extraordinary lot of rifles in that they were issued to the Italian Carabinieri, which is a national police unit in Italy that functions under the umbrella of the Ministry Of Defense. As such, these rifles have not seen foreign combat, and they were stored in Italy in government-controlled arsenals upon being turned in. That means that they have far less use and are in far better condition than most Carcano rifles that find their way to the U.S. marketplace. Don't confuse these with others.... this is an excellent group of guns.
So for a select + 30 @299, shipping to WI $25, WI Tax $16, FFL fee $45= we are talking approximately $385 or much less w/o a select or FFL fee= $310 :clap:
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

RTI( Royal Tiger Imports) does offer antique category shipping. But has some hefty select categories and prices .

https://www.royaltigerimports.com/category-s/1917.htm
Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 1.47.11 PM.png

So in conclusion, there are two sources the Ethiopian hoard of different Carcanos- a variety; and Classics find in Italy- but these are only Cavalry carbines.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

It seems DK Firearms had some carcanos (Carcano M91 TS Carbine 6.5x52mm) from the Italian Police arsenal that sold out. Some interesting descriptive facts:

No idea what the price was?
Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 7.39.13 PM.png

SURPLUS CARCANO M91 TS CARBINE 6.5X52MM, SURPLUS GOOD TO FAIR CONDITION
SURPLUS CARCANO M91 TS CARBINE 6.5X52MM, SURPLUS GOOD TO FAIR CONDITION

Surplus Carcano M91 TS Carbine 6.5x52mm. These are original Italian Carcano M91 TS carbines, from the Italian Carabinieri and they are in Good to Fair Surplus condition. These carbines have probably been sitting in the Carabinieri’s armories for the last 50 plus years. The entire lot appears to have been manufactured by the National Arms Factory in Brescia, Italy.

The model M91 TS was built to be a carbine, this is not a cut down version of an M91 rifle! These will be small, quick, and accurate carbines. The TS stands for “Truppe Speciali”, which translates to Special Troops. These were originally issued to artillery, mortar, machine gun crews, and other specialized troops.

We are not offering a “HAND PICK” option on these as they are very consistent throughout the lot. We will not be able to accommodate special requests on these.

Condition:

We took a bunch of pictures of several of these rifles, so you will have a good representation of what you are getting. We did not clean any of the rifles before taking pictures of them.

We are being conservative on grading these, this batch of carbines is very consistent. They have been checked for function, and the bores generally have strong rifling.

Function: All carbines will be in functional condition. We recommend all surplus firearms be checked by a competent gunsmith before firing.

Metal: The metal condition is very consistent in this lot, some nicks and scratches from use, some freckling of the metal here and there. Overall surplus good condition.

Stocks: The stocks vary in color from light to dark, there will be nicks, dings and scratches from use and storage. We did not find stocks with any major cracks. Overall surplus good condition.

Bayonet Lugs: There is a mix of bayonet lugs, older style side mounting bayonet lugs, and then standardized M91 bayonet style.

Front Band: As with the Bayonet Lugs, front bands vary depending on bayonet lug.

Cleaning Rods: 99% these carbines come with a cleaning rod.

En-Bloc Clip: These do not come with a clip. We hope to have clips in the near future for these!

Sling Loops: Sling Loops vary on these carbines, the vast majority have sling loops on the bottom of the stock, others will have them on the bottom and the sides.

Grease and Oil: All will have a light coating of grease/oil, bores will have grease and oil in them. These are much cleaner than rifles we have received in heavy cosmoline. If you have ever cleaned a Mosin or an SKS, it is nothing like that! They should all cleanup easily and nicely.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Buds gun shop also had Carcanos. They sold out fast. $249
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_inf ... /411559453
here is there video of 1500 for sale
Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 11.42.46 AM.png
So that kind of explains the influx of Italian weapons at gun shows , gun broker, Cabelas, and the bunch of IMAs Vetterils. There are $75 Carcano carbines all over the place now for $350 and higher. 15 years ago you could not give one away.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

And lets not forget J & G sales, also into those Carcano carbines at $279. These have a PW import mark.
Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 8.22.07 PM.png

https://www.jgsales.com/italian-carcano ... 03538.html

They got so many you can order the bayonet/nose cap configuration you desire: All 3 versions :dance:
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 10.38.46 AM.png

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

And after checking, SDS Guns in Colorado ($369) and Sportsmans Outdoors ($249) are also into the act. Carcano carbines are falling from the sky, watch the price of original enblock Carcano clips triple :dance: :dance: I bet bayonet prices will also double. At least the Cavalry version comes with its bayonet and is one sexy, tiny rifle to hang on a wall. The market is flooded with Carcano carbines, you would think they would be priced at $100-150. :snooty: :snooty:
SDS
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 10.51.52 AM.png
Sportmans Outdoors
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 10.54.22 AM.png
For the record, here is the Palmetto Arms post, always present to deal with, ($249) and Classic arms, which I consider a crap shoot, ($269) . Both lists are posted below:
Palmetto
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 11.09.01 AM.png

Classic Arms
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 11.10.18 AM.png

NOW the Carcano long rifles which you do not see too often, are only available from RTI's Ethiopian batch. But a rifle is very nice to shoot and own. Everyone needs a long rifle here is an example from Libertytreecollectors library: https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=82

RTI listing :clap: :clap: and $359 is not too bad depending on condition you get. Try and find M91long rifle under $375 at a gun show :violin: :violin:
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 11.19.27 AM.png
My question is, where is, or who got all the original Carcano 6.5 ammunition that was stock piled by the National Police Arsenal for all of these thousands of Carbines. I'd love to have some original ammunition rather than Prvi which is undersize. No sales of 6.5 military ammunition, yet???????????? :pray: :pray: :shhh:

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

I checked into a few steel enblock Carcano clips and they seem to offer steel ones now at $9-20 each, brass ones at the high end. This is nuts. They were $1 a clip last year. Most big shows are shut down due to C19. At the next gun show, I will have to see if the $5 original boxes of 7.5 Carcano are still being sold. :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: 18 rounds and 3 enblock mannlicher Carcano clips per box
Maybe stock up on some $1 Carcano enblock clips from the uninformed. :shifty:

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

See this review for ammo, but the tips Hornady made are no longer made so changes are in the works.
PRODUCT UPDATE: This jacketed bullet is no longer available. We are taking pre-orders on our new cast load. This will be a 160gr RN lead bullet @ .2675″ with a gas check. Email us at sales@steinelammo.com with technical questions. We are on schedule for a ship date of 9/28/2020.
source:https://www.steinelammo.com/product/6-5 ... ound-nose/

Steinel Ammunition Revives the 6.5 x 52mm Carcano
https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/ ... ano/372885

Horsefriend

Post by Horsefriend »

I took the $199 sale gable with RTI last month and must say I was very pleasantly surprised, got a nice 91/24 (1898/1926); blue almost gone, a little very minor pitting at the stock line in one plane, import mark low key and up behind the front site, but a decent stock 8/10 bore, matching numbers, functions well,. It did come sans firing pin but I emailed their customer service and had an expressed pin in my hands in 72 hours, all in all, I'd buy from RTI again
Scott

Stuff; Some of it is Italian, some of it shoots.

Return to “Italian Rifles”