Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Interesting Gun Failures

wjh
United States of America

Interesting Gun Failures

#1 Post by wjh » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:57 am

There are some good lessons here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8gjYQrIl_w

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: Interesting Gun Failures

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:59 am

Good example on how to read a cartridge. Worth a watch if you do not pay attention to this when firing a surplus rifle. Always read a cartridge with a new weapon, very old surplus ammo, or reloaded ammo. Also look for case splits on weak old, unfired brass surplus. Loose bullets and or primers. Then inspect the fired brass----Stress rings on the cartridge, cartridge bulge or to much expansion. Hard extraction after firing. Depth of primer hit and shape & location of primer hit. Pushed out primers & pierced primers. Soot around a primer. I wish he covered a few more points... but its all good info. All those new too shooting should WATCH THIS Anvil 030: Why did my gun explode? this is the title of above posted link :dance: :clap:

C & R senal has some nice informative posts on all sorts of topics link: http://candrsenal.com/info/

From a cops view things to look over: https://www.policeone.com/police-produc ... your-life/
How to read your brass:
also see
https://www.starlinebrass.com/articles/ ... Your-Load/

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2015/08/1 ... agnostics/

This second reference is also a must read with great pictures & information
http://www.massreloading.com/reading_pr ... signs.html

https://artsofthefusilier.com/2012/12/0 ... st-friend/

https://artsofthefusilier.com/2012/12/0 ... eparation/

Too bad we do not have stickies any more.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

slowbob2
United States of America

#3 Post by slowbob2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:41 pm

The rifles did not " blow up " . Both bolts held , neither the barrels or receivers failed . The cases had primer blow outs that released the gas pressure into the mag wells , cracking stocks and wood inserts and swelling the magazine housing on one . Unlike the guy who made the video , I do know what caused the problems . The Hornady .268 dia Carcano bullet is known for blowing out primer pockets . The bullet is made wrong. It will stick in the bore leaving the gas pressure no where to go but out the primer hole . And it was really dumb to shoot that ammo in a Vetterli , to keep shooting after the primers were blowing out .

wjh
United States of America

#4 Post by wjh » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:15 am

slowbob2 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:41 pm
The rifles did not " blow up " . Both bolts held , neither the barrels or receivers failed . The cases had primer blow outs that released the gas pressure into the mag wells , cracking stocks and wood inserts and swelling the magazine housing on one . Unlike the guy who made the video , I do know what caused the problems . The Hornady .268 dia Carcano bullet is known for blowing out primer pockets . The bullet is made wrong. It will stick in the bore leaving the gas pressure no where to go but out the primer hole . And it was really dumb to shoot that ammo in a Vetterli , to keep shooting after the primers were blowing out .
Nope, I think you are wrong. He said they were factory loads from the same box. The headstamp is Privi Partizan.

slowbob2
United States of America

#5 Post by slowbob2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:21 am

Since that ammo uses the Hornady bullet . I do not think I am wrong .

Ned Christiansen
United States of America

#6 Post by Ned Christiansen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:00 pm

In the latest Guns & Ammo AR15 special, there is an article by me about one of the easiest and surest ways to blow up your AR15, or anything else chambered in 5.56 for that matter-- chamber and fire a .300 Whisper / Blackout in it. The bullet will often stick in the barrel. When it's a .308 diameter, 120-grain HP, squeezed into a .224 groove diameter barrel, it gets real, real long :geek:

slowbob2
United States of America

#7 Post by slowbob2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:20 pm

Yes the 300 is a .223 rifle killer . The same thing is happening to the 6.5mm Carcanos .

jbrower
United States of America

#8 Post by jbrower » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks for posting this. I had a Kaboom happen to me a couple of years ago and I plan on contacting the guy in this video to see if he can figure out what the problem was.

slowbob2
United States of America

#9 Post by slowbob2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:47 am

The guy in the video has no idea what the problems are . So far in every thing I have seen on ytube " the guys " have no idea what they are doing , that is why they are on ytube . Look in the reloading section here under " cast bullets for Carcano's " and I covered it a little .

wjh
United States of America

#10 Post by wjh » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:34 pm

slowbob2 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:21 am
Since that ammo uses the Hornady bullet . I do not think I am wrong .
???? Are you saying Privi Partizan uses the Hornady bullet? I've bought lots of Privi Partizan Carcano ammo and never got a box with Hornady bullets.

slowbob2
United States of America

#11 Post by slowbob2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Graff boxed ammo used Privi cases and Hornady bullets.

wjh
United States of America

#12 Post by wjh » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:35 pm

slowbob2 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:07 pm
Graff boxed ammo used Privi cases and Hornady bullets.
Oh, that's interesting. I didn't know they were doing that. Have you tried that ammo? I've shot the Hornady .267, but I reloaded my own. I always slugged the bore of the rifles I wanted to use it in. If too tight, I didn't try it.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#13 Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:11 pm

OK please hold on and second and explain..

How would one know the Bullet is HORNADY when you open a box of ammo??

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#14 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:22 pm

Ok you guys got me confused. :doh: What is the better ammo to use in A Carcano ? What is the size of these brands of ammunitions. Does any one have a box to provide some measurements?

All is 6.5 Carcano ammo that I see at stores and can buy.

First is Prvi. What is the bad stuff ? Or is all Prvi OK?
1 There is Prvi FMJ boat tail 139 grain, size is unknown on this ammo. What is it? Is this the stuff with a bad bullet?
2 There si Prvi Soft Point 123 grain, size is unknown on this ammo . What is it? Is this OK ammo?

Norma
3 There is Norma 156 grain Soft Point, size is unknown. What is it? Is this ammo OK

Hornaday
4 There is Hornaday 160 grain Soft Point . Size is .267. Is this the bad ammo?
5 Does Hornady make a FMJ . What is the grain and size of the bullet? Is this possible bad ammo?

What other brand Carcano ammo is recommended. I assume you slug the bore and shoot the best size for fit??
What is/was the grain and size on Italian actual military surplus ammunition used in WW II in 6.5 Carcano?
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

ammolab
United States of America

#15 Post by ammolab » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:49 pm

The only .267" diameter bullet is the Hornady 160 gr softpoint. None of the major mfgs use this bullet in factory ammunition.

NORMA and Prvi FACTORY ammo will have .264" bullets. Small "custom loaders" often use Prvi brass and any available bullet.

Return to “Italian Rifles”