Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Interesting results with M1941 short rifle...

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Interesting results with M1941 short rifle...

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:41 pm

I made a new target yesterday for my club and wanted to see if it would stand up to really hard impacts. I though the 6.5 Carcano would be a good choice as it penetrates like few others when stable in flight.
The new target is 8" wide,24" long and two inches thick. It is hardened steel and weighs 100 pounds. It was set at 200 meters.
Patric Lebel had his Carcano Mosquito out as well.
We both were shooting round nosed,160 grain bullets. Soft-point and FMJ.
What I was doing was trying to see if the results of shooting .262, .264, and original .2665 bullets would shoot well from my M1941 short rifle.
All three did! The .262's did shoot 4 MOA. the .264 and .2665's shot 2 MOA in their own groups.
The front sight was fully buried into the rear notch 300 meter Battle sight. I had to hold 1 foot lower than the target to hit it as expected.
Patric was able to get a decent group 10" higher than my own. The front sight on the Mosquito is awful for precision shooting. It looks like a 2x4.
There were no pressure signs,or hard to open bolt with my reloads. I expected the .2665 bullets do at least crater the primer but no, all was normal.
I will need to do more testing to see if I can find the "perfect" load for our ranges elevation and thin air. The potential for an accurate long range load is there.
Here is the whole target. My shots are in the lower portion. Patrics are in the upper section.
Carcano bullet test1.jpg

The .262's are on the outer edges of both sides of the target. Not match winning accuracy but defiantly 'Minute-of-man" for combat
THe .264's and .2665's darn near stacked themselves in the groups. Had I known they were shooting that well, I would have taken better time aiming.
Carcano bullet test2.jpg
Here are Lebels shots, not too shabby for such a huge front sight.
Cacarno bullet test3.jpg
Here is the target thickness and bracket I had to make. I allows the target to ring when struck by a bullet. Little pock-marks were made by the Carcano FMJ's.
Carcano bullet test4.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

Re: Interesting results with M1941 short rifle...

#2 Post by ammolab » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:48 pm

That is an interesting hunk of steel. Was it hard to weld that bracket to such a thick target?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:52 pm

Yes. I had to run 109 amps to get good penetration into the plate. I then dropped down to 75 amps and melded the two weld beads together to hold the brackets onto the plate.
I hand forged the 3/8 steel bracket around a mandrel I made to fit the holding arms notch on the supporting pole at the range.
The steel plate was a X-Ray machines X-Ray Tube supporting tower counter weight.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Ken W
United States of America

#4 Post by Ken W » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:35 pm

That's definitely some nice divots into that thick steel. 6.5X52 is a decent round. I need to start reloading it so I can actually shoot my Carcano's more than once in a great while.
Nice work on that target too.

Return to “Italian Rifles”