http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:19 pm 

This weekend I took my boys to Battleship Park down in Mobile, AL. to see the USS Alabama Battelship .
When we first walked into the gift shop I saw a rack with books. One cought my eye. The photo on the cover was from the Bataan Death March. The title of the Book was Hell's Guest.
Little did I know, that in a few min. I would be shaking the hand of the auther of the book, who was also one of the men that was in the photo on the cover.
As we looked around I saw an older gentalman sitting at a table with several mititary ribbons on his suit jacket. I walked over to him and we started to talk. He was very kind and easy spoken. He then pointed to one of the copies of Hell's Guest that was on the table and put his finger on the third figure from the left. He then said "That's me. I was only 17 at the time.
We talked for a little while like old friends. I bought a copy of his book and he autographed it for me.
The book is Hell's Guest and the Auther, Col. Glenn D. Frazier, a true American Hero.

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:38 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

"Several" military ribbons and medals on his chest? Holy smokes! Is there any place this guy HASN'T been and any medal or ribbon he HASN'T won/earned? :wink: =D> #-o

Very impressive and I agree, a true American hero.

Regards,
Eric

ALWAYS looking to buy or trade for Finn Mosins!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:09 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

I had the honor of meeting several of the Bataan heros at the comissioning of my last ship, USS Bataan LHD 5.
We had a very large group of these surviving heros show up for the comissioning dockside at Ingles shipbuilding in Pascagoula Ms.

Lee you are a very lucky Man.

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:28 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

It must have been an amazing conversation. forget athletes, these are the real heroes.

Somebody holds the key.
But Im near the end and I just aint got the time
And Im wasted and I can't find my way home

~Blind Faith 1969~

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:53 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I can not even begin to fathom what he went through. He is a true hero and deserves our utmost respect.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:30 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I'm jealous lol... I watched a special on Military Channel about the heros of Bataan and the Bataan Death March on Military Channel early this morning about 5am and I was almost in tears. I really hope I get the chance to meet some of these brave heros like you have. I am truly honored to be in the presence of such men and I can only wish to be as much of a man as our forefathers. Great post!

RC CE 1942 Mauser 98K
Mosin 91/30 w/ Matching Bayonet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:27 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

http://www.hellsguest.com/

I'd probably been in tears thanking him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:18 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I don't know if this counts . . . but I have breakfast most Monday mornings with Robert Maxwell and his wife. :shhh:

My 2 Grandson's and I, each have our own Bob Maxell coin. :thumb:

:whistle:

Harder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:42 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

That's awesome sharder. You two wouldn't happen to be related would you?

Regards,
Eric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

No relations . . . But, we are both members of the Bend Band of Brothers . . . more recently known as Band of Brothers - Central Oregon.

BBB meets every Monday morning at Jakes Diner for breakfast . . . that's how I know Bob and his wife. We've gotten too big for Jakes, so the Bend members meet there, Sisters, LaPine, Redmond, and Prineville, each have their weekly brunch on different days and places..

If you happen to be in Central Oregon, I can find out the days, places, and time, for ya' to meet and join. :thumb:

Harder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:00 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thank you for the offer. He seems like he's a spry old goat, that's for sure! :thumb:

Regards,
Eric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

He seems to get all over the place! :shock:

To tell the truth, you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer, more down to earth guy, or friend, than Bob! 8-)

Harder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:36 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

sharder8 wrote:
He seems to get all over the place! :shock:

To tell the truth, you'll be hard pressed to find a nicer, more down to earth guy, or friend, than Bob! 8-)

Harder

Oh, I'm quite sure. I hope my comment didn't come across as derogatory in any way. He looks mischievous and full of life to me, that was my intention from my comment.

Regards,
Eric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:46 pm 

It is true that we walk among Heros.
Most will not talk about the things they did, not even to thier family and closes friends.
It's a shame that so many are passing away every day.

If you know of one of these silent heros, take the time to shake his hand and tell him thank you for what he did for us.

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Like I mentioned earlier, I get the honor and pleasure of walking among them every time I go to a Band of Brother's Breakfast, held most Monday's. :thumb:

You guys do realize, you can set up your own Band of Brother's groups . . . right? All it takes is 2 or 3 of you getting together for coffee/breakfast/brunch at the same time/place regularly, and then getting the word out.

We're over 525 strong in Central Oregon and we've worked out deals with the different establishments for special pricing. We have only one rule - NO POLITICs! No membership fee's, nothing mandatory. We do have special name tags available, if you wish to purchase . . . as well as hats, shirts, and jackets. We hold a 50-50 drawing every meeting and raise funds through various ways to donate to Veteran's in need. We volunteer labor for various projects, like the "Hero's Memorial" here in Bend. We help each other when in need, from rides to lawn mowing, to you name it. Everything is voluntary.

Our meeting starts with the pledge of allegiance, followed by a prayer from our "Sky pilot" (Chaplin). Then, we eat, finally, we finish up with a "good of the order" of what's going on or what's coming up. Members go out to the different Sr. citizen homes to meet with any Vet's and see if they need anything throughout the month. It's just a fun group and we care about our fellow Vet's. Our breakfast is served mess hall (buffet) style for $8.75, including coffee . . . all you can eat!

Central Oregon Band of Brothers has service members from all branches, ranks, male and female, combat and non-combat, served over-seas or stateside, all honorably served. We have all medals and ribbons since WWII amongst the membership. Hero's from Pearl Harbor, Battle of the Bulge (POW and rescuer). U.S., Canada, Great Britain, Australia, and Israel. Some of our members have moved or snow bird to other areas and have set up groups there.

We also purchase and present special remembrance coins to the families of our state fallen in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as providing a support base for their families. And we provide a base for returnee's for job search. Most of us have been there and know what they are going through.

If you need info on the hats, name tags, shirts, or jackets . . . ask! All it takes is 2 or more Vet's getting together and enjoying the camaraderie!

Harder

P.S. We are/have met with 2 of the original Band of Brothers from Bastogne and have their blessing. (We probably have them as honorary members of the Central Oregon group and buy them their meals when we meet with them.)