http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

The continuing saga of my gift Berthier:I was able to locate 15 rounds of quality handloads for my Berthier.The loads were 150 gr. bullet 36 gr. powder,cases formed from 348 Win.I was prepared for the worst and wore my shooting gogles and started at 25 yds.I shot two,and both were centered and about two in. high.Moved out to 50 yds,and again dead center and 3.5 4 in.high.I guess this is about right since the first notch on the battle sight is marked 300 meters.Since my ammo is limited,I quit,but I was delighted with the first outing.The rifle functioned perfectly,and,with this ammo,was a joy to shoot.I liked the sights,the trigger was OK,action about average for a 100 yr. old military rifle.I think I'll keep it if I can work out something reasonable for ammo.I am interested in hearing from Berthier shooters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:39 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I found that the Berthier I have may have limited ammo available but I'll never give it up.

try this for ammo:

http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/

I think that is one of the better sights that I know of and have given my $$$ to.

Snotsucker

"Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

NRA Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:45 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I am also interested to see how this pans out. I havn't shot my Mle. 1916 yet for lack of ammo. Handloading is probably my only alternative.....
Even if it ends up being one of those rifles I just shoot once a year I dont think I'll sell mine, it's got too much history and its an interesting design.

There is no chin under Chuck Norris' beard, just another fist.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I called Gad's,and he will produce the load of your choice for $20.00/box.I ordered two boxes of soft points in case I get a notion to take the old girl deer hunting.I thought this price is quite reasonable,and Gads can do it since Prvi Partisan began making brass.I also have a MAS 36 and 49/56.These French rifles have simple(elegant)designs with few moving parts.They grow on you.

George

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I think Gads will also reload your brass if you send it to them which will cut down the price of ammo after you buy the first batch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:25 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

tater134 wrote:
I think Gads will also reload your brass if you send it to them which will cut down the price of ammo after you buy the first batch.

You are correct sir!!!

I like working with the guy.

Snotsucker

"Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

NRA Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:06 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I loaded a batch of ammo for my 07/15 but haven't had it to the range yet. I loaded 32 grains of IMR4064 behing a 175 grain S bullet.

Dave

Chinese Type 56, Romanian Model 56, Mosin 91/30 & 44, M-48, M-38, 98k, M-96, M96/38, K-31, Enfield #4 mk 2, VZ-24, M1916, Gewehr 88, Steyr M-95, M59/66A1, Berthier 07/15, Enfield 1858