Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Type 97 or Type 99 Sniper if you can only have one?

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
Ernest T
United States of America

Type 97 or Type 99 Sniper if you can only have one?

#1 Post by Ernest T » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:02 pm

If you wanted to add a Japanese sniper to your collection and could only afford one, would it be a Type 97 or a Type 99? All things else being equal are these 2 Japanese snipers approximately equal in value or is one more collectible/valuable than the other?

Thanks!

Miller Tyme
United States of America

Re: Type 97 or Type 99 Sniper if you can only have one?

#2 Post by Miller Tyme » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:50 pm

I already have a Type 99, but a Type 99 4x adjustable or an early Type 99 cut back would be my choice.

Ernest T
United States of America

#3 Post by Ernest T » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Yea, I like the idea of the 4x scope option on the 99s. Got a local guy selling a 99 with a scope, but I'm not sure whether the scope is a 2X or 4X. Price is a little high compared to what I've seen Type 97s sell for. Seems like the 99 snipers come up much less frequently. I'm taking look at the rifle this weekend. I'm going to see what his bottom line price is.

Geokop
United States of America

#4 Post by Geokop » Sun May 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Ernest T, what did you find out about the sniper? Are you the new, proud owner? I hope everything worked out for you.

Ernest T
United States of America

#5 Post by Ernest T » Sun May 13, 2018 4:31 pm

I ended up passing on the Type 99 sniper. It was not in great shape, the scope was very cloudy, and the owner would not budge in price. I did manage to win a Type 97 sniper at auction. It has a nice, but mismatched scope as most of them do, but is matching otherwise. It also came with the scope can. Unfortunately a previous owner had refinished the stock. I managed to remove the old varnish, but couldn't do anything about the sanded stock. I've shot it and managed to adjust the scope so it is only off about 6 inches. Here a couple of photos:

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”