Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Arisaka type 38 (No series)

Arisaka, Murata, Siamese, Korean, and North China Rifles
26Intrepid
United States of America

Arisaka type 38 (No series)

#1 Post by 26Intrepid » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:24 pm

I have a question that I’m hoping somebody can shed some light on. I recently purchased an Arisaka type 38 at an auction for $300.00. I didn’t inspect the firearm too much before I bid because... it has an original sling (Perfect condition), and original dustcover (Perfect condition), and an original, green, plastic muzzle cover (Also in perfect condition). Just those 3 items alone (In my opinion is worth the $300).. so I bid a max of $300 and surprisingly I won.

After I got home, I began to inspect it and began the disassemble process. I noticed that the last three digits of the serial number on the receiver (#XXXX194) didn’t match the visible three digits on the front barrel band or bolt (#493). After I disassembled the rifle, I began to noticed that every single part on this rifle was numbered #493... bolt, safety, extractor, front barrel band lug, rear sight, dustcover, upper tang, lower tang, magazine well, trigger guard, trigger, stock, handguard, etc.... after cleaning the barrel, I saw 3 numbers on the bottom of the receiver... wouldn’t you know? #493!.... every numbered part on this rifle matches except the last 3 digits of the serial number on the receiver and the floor plate (#5782). So here is my question... is the #493 an assembly number? I’ve never seen this on an Arisaka before... one would think the last 3 digits of the serial number would be correct. Not on this rifle!

slowbob2
United States of America

Re: Arisaka type 38 (No series)

#2 Post by slowbob2 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Early T-38's were matched by the assembly number .

26Intrepid
United States of America

#3 Post by 26Intrepid » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:53 pm

That’s what I figured... thanks!

Geokop
United States of America

#4 Post by Geokop » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:39 am

It's not uncommon that the floor plate doesn't match since it's removable from the rifle and can be dropped/lost or mixed with one from another rifle.
The T99 rifle had a floor plate that was hinged on one end and just pivoted down out of the way for cleaning but was not readily removable, solving that problem.
Congrats on your purchase!

26Intrepid
United States of America

#5 Post by 26Intrepid » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:18 pm

Thank you!!

Return to “Japanese and Far East Rifles”