Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SMLE expeerts needed "Notched" bolt head. How to use it?

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

SMLE expeerts needed "Notched" bolt head. How to use it?

#1 Post by Tommy Atkins » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:55 pm

I just discovered this, its remarked to be a way to "remove the striker" but no details are given. I just can't visualize how the cut in the threads can remove the striker. Can someone 'splain to me, Lucy? Is there some intermediate pin, tool or something?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: SMLE expeerts needed "Notched" bolt head. How to use it?

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 am

I made my own tool which is a spanner wrench. The store bought ones can be trash or treasure. Several are too soft and the "wings" that grab the face of the striker will bend or brake off. Be sure to buy a quality tool or make one yourself.
Be sure to soak the striker with Kroil or PB Blaster before you try to remove it. Once you remove the grub screw from the back of the bolt,make sure to note how many threads ( if any) are sticking out.
Here is a link:
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#3 Post by Tommy Atkins » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks, I have a good one.
It was more a curiosity on how the heck the bolt head one was used.
The threaded shank is longer than a non notched one so they're not interchangeable, I figured that out, but how the heck do you use it to unscrew the striker?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm sorry,but you lost me.
The tool is used once the bolt head is unscrewed. The Lock screw is removed and then you use the tool to unscrew the striker from the bolt body. It will be very tight if not done for 70 years.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#5 Post by Tommy Atkins » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Ok we have some confusion here. The bolt head IS the tool in this version.
I discovered this recently, completely by accident & am trying to uunerstann.
There are apparently 2 distinct bolt heads for the SMLE. One has a longer, threaded portion with a square cut "notch" machined into it, the other (more normal) one is shorter & has no notch, the threaded shank is continuous.
The longer, earlier, notched version i supposed in some way to be able to be used as a "tool" to "aid in removing the striker." Apparently it wasn't very good & was soon replaced.
I'm trying to figure out how the cut in the long threaded part can be used this way.

Alan De Enfield
Wales

#6 Post by Alan De Enfield » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:22 am

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:25 pm
Ok we have some confusion here. The bolt head IS the tool in this version.
I discovered this recently, completely by accident & am trying to uunerstann.
There are apparently 2 distinct bolt heads for the SMLE. One has a longer, threaded portion with a square cut "notch" machined into it, the other (more normal) one is shorter & has no notch, the threaded shank is continuous.
The longer, earlier, notched version i supposed in some way to be able to be used as a "tool" to "aid in removing the striker." Apparently it wasn't very good & was soon replaced.
I'm trying to figure out how the cut in the long threaded part can be used this way.
There are two different strikers (different designs) the slotted-bolt head fits with the 'old' design and the non-slotted fits with the newer design.
The threads are also slightly different, and the 'slotted' bolt head will not screw (all the way) into the newer 'non-slotted' bolt body - it can be 'started' but jams up after a couple of threads - I believe that they are a taper-thread but have never found written evidence of this.
"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over many years,

the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic". Dresden James

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#7 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks. I've gotten a similar reply from someone else as well & he's going to post some pics as I think he has both in his collection.
I'll share when they arrive.
Presumably this means also a different bolt as well because of the thread?

5thbatt
New Zealand

#8 Post by 5thbatt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 am

The early pattern of firing pin had a lug that engaged into the notch to enable removal & instalment without the need for a special tool, the later firing pin can be used with the earlier bolthead with the notch but not the other way around.
20171113_180446.jpg
20171113_180421.jpg

5thbatt
New Zealand

#9 Post by 5thbatt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:21 am

The threads are not different, the same early FP was used all though the Mk1 SMLE production into early MkIII production, you will always encounter variations in tolerances

5thbatt
New Zealand

#10 Post by 5thbatt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:45 am

Tommy, i have just had a look though some of my SMLEs, i have 3 (at least) that have the early notched type bolthead with the later firing pin & compared thread lengths between notched & non notched heads with no noticeable difference between lengths.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#11 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks.
I guess to only remove the bolt head you semi-cocked it to retract the striker a bit?

5thbatt
New Zealand

#12 Post by 5thbatt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am
Thanks.
I guess to only remove the bolt head you semi-cocked it to retract the striker a bit?
You have to have the bolt in the fired position to engage the lug & notch (something you have to remember when reassembling) when the bolt is in the normal position (as it is when you remove or insert the bolt) the bolthead is free to turn.

5thbatt
New Zealand

#13 Post by 5thbatt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:21 pm

I will do a video on this sometime soon, would make for a good 'sticky' for those who encounter the early FP as there are small intricacies involved & might save some frustration

Alan De Enfield
Wales

#14 Post by Alan De Enfield » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:11 am

5thbatt wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:21 am
The threads are not different, the same early FP was used all though the Mk1 SMLE production into early MkIII production, you will always encounter variations in tolerances
It was not the striker threads I was referring to but the bolt head threads - I could not get the 'slotted type' bolt head to screw into a later 'non slotted' type bolt body.
All my stock (eight) of non-slotted bolt heads would screw in easily, but neither of my (two) slotted bolt heads would.
They would get a few threads in but then it appeared as if they became too tight and just jammed up - there was no visual thread damage on the bolt heads.

Great pics showing the differences - thanks.
"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over many years,

the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic". Dresden James

5thbatt
New Zealand

#15 Post by 5thbatt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:42 am

Alan De Enfield wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:11 am
5thbatt wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:21 am
It was not the striker threads I was referring to but the bolt head threads - I could not get the 'slotted type' bolt head to screw into a later 'non slotted' type bolt body.
All my stock (eight) of non-slotted bolt heads would screw in easily, but neither of my (two) slotted bolt heads would.
They would get a few threads in but then it appeared as if they became too tight and just jammed up - there was no visual thread damage on the bolt heads.

Great pics showing the differences - thanks.
I strike the odd bolthead that wont do up on a particular bolt or a couple of bolts but thats to be expected, some will screw into every bolt you try it in.

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”