Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

finally picked up another no4 mk1

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

finally picked up another no4 mk1

#1 Post by ghostdevilguy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am

It's been a few years since I have owned an enfield, and I have been keeping my eye out for one that was a little beat up, and could use some tlc, but had a good bore. This is the first one that poped up that fit the bill. I did some horse trading with a buddy and ended up with this, 218 rounds of 303, 40 peices of brass, 40 chargers, and some h335 for my ar. Here's what I know about it, it has a 48 FTR stamp, it is not numbers matching, but has an excellent 5 groove barrel, and elevation is dead on a 50 yards with the rear sight set to 200. The forend is dry and needs some work, but it's not loose, I would appreciate any info on how to bring it back. The forend and handguards are not original to the gun, as my buddy told me it was a sporter when he got it. The buttstock is an intresting shape that I can't find any info on, maybe someone here can tell me what it is, but it appers to be too fat. The bayonet lugs apper to have been ground off :violin: , but whoever did the work, did a good job and did a good job of matching the bluing on the barrel, because I can't see where they used to be. The group was shot at 50 yards, it could have been a lot better, it was shooting to the right, the holes in the box are part of the group as well, I was aiming dead on at the bullseye, but I can't say if it was me, the surplus ammo, or the fact that I found out the front sight was loose after I shot it, i'm betting the last one was a large part of the problem, I tightend the screw and will report back after I shoot it again. The serial number is NB23xxx, it has an F next to the FTR mark, and it has what looks like a Star with what looks like an M and a 5 on top of the receiver. Overall, I am happy with it, I am going to get a longer stock for it, and refinish the wood, but it appers it will be a great shooter.
Attachments
IMAG0475.jpg
IMAG0473.jpg
IMAG0472.jpg
IMAG0471.jpg
IMAG0470.jpg
Last edited by ghostdevilguy on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

Re: finally picked up another no4 mk1

#2 Post by ghostdevilguy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:56 am

More pictures
Attachments
IMAG0477.jpg
IMAG0476.jpg
IMAG0474.jpg

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#3 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Its a "short" std buttstock someone has messed with a bit.
For the forend it may need a little fitting to the individual rifle, or failing that several coats of Linseed oil, which will allow the wood to swell.
Removed bayo lugs may indicate a replaced barrel or they were removed to "de-Militarise" it when it was sporterised. This was a common thing to do back in the day.

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

#4 Post by ghostdevilguy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:22 pm

When you say linseed oil, do you mean boiled, raw, etc....?

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#5 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Raw was the original, personally I like boiled, but the real deal, not the Home Despot stuff.

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

#6 Post by ghostdevilguy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:11 pm

I'll probably use raw then, all boiled I can find in my area is the newer stuff. I also ordered a stock to replace the one that's on it, with any luck it will at least be a normal length one. On another note, any one have an experience with the repo no32 scopes and mounts that numrich sells?

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#7 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:17 am

Supposedly the are prone to loosing zero repeatedly. (this is what I'm told, no personal experience)

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

#8 Post by ghostdevilguy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:46 pm

That's a no go on the scopes, I have done a little searching around and other than your comment, I have not seen anything definitive either way. However, since it's the no32 has 1" tube, I am thinking about picking up one of the repo mounts and putting an old weaver k4 or something similar on it, does anyone have experience with the repo T mounts? Since this is not a collectors piece, i'm not opposed to a drill and tap mount.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#9 Post by Tommy Atkins » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:31 am

I've had great luck with the "S&K InstaMounts". They're ND/NT attaching to the rear sight pivot holes & clamping to the charger bridge. I like the version with their own proprietary rings as they sit as low as is functional with the No4. They also make one with a Weaver/Picatinny rail. The Weaver 4x with the "German No1" Reticule is a great choice. I used a Leupold as it was a sporter so I wasn't trying to reproduce anything.
DSCF1878.JPG
http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

Smokey
United States of America

#10 Post by Smokey » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Raw linseed oil does a better job of penetrating into the wood than boiled linseed oil. I use raw linseed oil.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”