http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:24 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

What is the best way that you have found to deep clean old bores, like in a mosin? I've heard shoot it, immediately clean it when its hot, shoot, clean, over and over as hot cleans easiest... does this seem right or is there a deep clean product out there?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:08 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Bobbo,welcome to the forum.Check out the Metal Care and Cleaning section of the forum....Larry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:11 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Attachments:
Gunslick.jpg
Gunslick.jpg [ 18.61 KiB | Viewed 3018 times ]

SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:44 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

You know I have yet to try some of the foaming stuff.I think I'll pick up a can on the way home.....Larry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:04 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

+2 on the Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. On the largest variety of rifles, for me this has provided the best results with the least effort. I wish it could be used on semi-autos without removing the barrel. It's not the only cleaner I use, but it's the one I use most. It will even remove the burnt camel dung left behind by POF .303.

Frequently wrong, never in doubt!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:51 am 
+3.14 on the Gunslick foam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:49 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

+4 on the foaming bore cleaner, I've used it. Great product! :thumb:

Mausers: Swede M96x2, CG63E, Israeli K98, SKS: Tula+Type 56, M/N 91/30 Izhevsk X 3, Tokarev T33+SVT40, EnfieldIshapore no1mk3*, ShtLE mk3*, Long Branch, P14, Swiss K31 US Svc Rifle IHC M1 Garand .308, M1A clone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:54 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

dmg4 wrote:
+2 on the Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. On the largest variety of rifles, for me this has provided the best results with the least effort. I wish it could be used on semi-autos without removing the barrel. It's not the only cleaner I use, but it's the one I use most. It will even remove the burnt camel dung left behind by POF .303.

please elaborate on what you mean by that statement....

oh, and do any chain stores carry that stuff. I don't think walmart or dicks has it...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I bought mine from Cabelas. Follow the directions, it's that simple. Good luck :thumb:

Mausers: Swede M96x2, CG63E, Israeli K98, SKS: Tula+Type 56, M/N 91/30 Izhevsk X 3, Tokarev T33+SVT40, EnfieldIshapore no1mk3*, ShtLE mk3*, Long Branch, P14, Swiss K31 US Svc Rifle IHC M1 Garand .308, M1A clone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

IMHO the only sure way to "deep clean" the bores of some of the mil-surp rifles we aquire is to invest alot of time and effort. Ive done alot of these rifles and have yet to find a single product that will absolutely ensure that, after using it, you will have "deep cleaned" it.

Ive used Ed's Red, Hoppes 9, Butches Products, Sweets, boiling soap and water , carb cleaner, WD-40, Mineral spirts and others plus a EBC and still end up spending alot of time and effort to "deep clean" all of the mil-surps I buy.

Why go thru the effort you may ask? Because I want to know that is as clean as it possibly can be when I start shooting the gun.

Waste of time you may say. Maybe. But others may say shooting guns is a waste of time.

Its a hobby and I'll devote time to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

bobbo268 wrote:
What is the best way that you have found to deep clean old bores, like in a mosin? I've heard shoot it, immediately clean it when its hot, shoot, clean, over and over as hot cleans easiest... does this seem right or is there a deep clean product out there?

in just about 90% of cases deep cleaning a milsurp bore is time wasted. +1 on the foam, i use it. i run a few patches to get out as much carbon out then do about 3-4 foam applications then run some wet and dry patches till they come out grey. doesnt matter if its hot or not. if you shoot corrosive ppl suggest hot water as it flash dries and wont stay anywhere and rust if you dont get it dry all the way

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:19 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I bought one can of the foaming bore cleaners. It wasn't "Gunslick" and I can't recall which one it was, but I do remember that it took the skin off my finger tips. It sure did a good job of cleaning the gun though. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:46 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Make a electronic bore cleaner.

Dont be supprised you you never get a clean patch out of your Mosin. It can be as shiney as a mirror and pass a black patch every day for years. 100% normal.

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:21 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

After you use the foaming cleaner or hoppes or whatever. Dry patch then take some "never dull" from an automotive store. It's to polishing aluminum wheels. Use your factory cleaning rod because they are usually stainless and stonger. Work it back and forth in the bore. Change cotton pieces every 4-5 strokes. You'll be amazed at what it will bring out after all the bore cleaners. Takes a lot of elbow grease. But I guaranty you'll see an improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I'll chime in with vote for Dewey carbon fiber one piece cleaning rods. One long .22 rod and a long .30 will cover about everything we shoot cleaning from the chamber end.

SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28