http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I've got a real hankering for a 24/47....want to add it to my Turk and 1944 La Coruna Spanish Mauser. But I'm wondering if there's a real difference between the Spanish Mauser and the Yugo? (I've read somewhere the La Coruna is a k98 clone).

I only got the Spanish Mauser late this fall and haven't had it to the range yet. If I get the 24/47, will I see a big difference in the shootability of the two? I'm looking for something in 8mm....and was originally drawn to a GEW 98, but can't find one that seems fairly priced, except for a Turk built on GEW 98 receiver....at least the hole for the sling swivel indicates it's a 98. (I live on Long Island, a NYC suburb...and gun stores here are way overepriced on everything they sell...pawn shops don't do guns, and gun shows rare. So it's mostly the internet for me -- Plus Todd at Family Firearms.)

I narrowed it down to the 24/47 from the M48 and Vz24; by all reports the 24/47 seems to be the best of the three. Any other suggestions. Condition is important, so is shootability.....and price is always a concern (If I can't find one on GunBroker...I'll be calling Samco).

Redcoat3340

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:51 pm 

Yugo is made from better steel's.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

The m48 is a 24/47 with a bent bolt, so no real difference there. Personally the m48 is my favorite Mauser carbine because it has features of both the kar98k and vz24. Its as though they had a child. Lol. But for shootability and looks I would go with the Yugo and for history I would go with the Czech

Good luck, Alex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

My 24/47s shoot better than the 1952 La Coruna I have. might be due to bore condition.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:37 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Spaniards seem to be made with looser tolerances as well. My bolt in mine is very sloppy compared to the Yugo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:27 am 

I have owned both, and I prefer the Czech, but I must say that I liked the looks of the La Coruna better. The one I had was a good, tight gun as well, with good rifling.
LtlWilli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

My 24/47 shoots very well. My Spanish Oveido Mauser is shooting much better since putting a fresh 7mm barrel on it. I have, however heard that the Spanish Mausers were not made with the same quality of steel as the 24/47. Oh, I left the 24/47 in 8mm and it is a hoot to shoot. Let us know what you decide.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I think the 24/47 is one of the best buys on the market for the price, and most of them are like new in the bore.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Well, after looking at all the options, and not allowing the "buy something now!" fever to subside, I called Todd at Family Firearms and he had a Vz24 that I couldn't resist.

I think what finally turned the trick (besides the fact he didn't have any 24/47's) was the interchangability of the Vz24 and regular 98k Mauser. While not expecting any problems, I read in a number of forums that both the 24/47 and M48 were intermediates....and parts are hard to come by; while the Vz is built to the same specs as a 98 and parts are easy(er) to get.

I know I get good value from Todd and trust his ability to pick good guns....so instead of buying blind from a dealer or on GunBroker, I relied on him.

Pictures when it arrives and a range report as soon as the weather here become kindlier. (I'm thinking of a shoot-out between the Czech, Spaniard and Turk....with the ammo the same for all three.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

If you bought from Todd at FFF You will get a quality product at a fair price>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:20 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I have many mausers including both M24/47 and Guardia Civil M43, id go with the 24/47 because they arguably have far less use and will be in better condition also parts easier to attain. im not a metalurgist but my guess is that in your shooting use the quality of steel shouldnt make a difference. just my 2 cents