http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:39 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

which of this two rifles would you consider to be better both being in VG conditionThe Mauser is 7x57 Mauser and is the later version of the Mod. 93. Any comments would be welcomed. Thank you, Luckydog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

My vote would be Mauser, MN's are a dime a dozen.

Chet

Every household in America should have, and be proficient with, at least one rifle and one handgun suitable for carrying into battle. There may come another day when the tree of liberty may need watering on American soil.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Luckydog.... welcome to the forums! :thumb:

The Spanish Mauser is probably a more obscure rifle than the M44...though those are getting harder to find these days as well.
While I have very little experience with the 7mm Mauser cartridge (I've shot a Czech mauser in 7mm once), what little I do have says it's an accurate round, and pretty easy to shoot in terms of recoil. The M44 will give ya a good kick though! :mrgreen: It's ok, it's just letting you know that you pulled the trigger. :lol:

Plenty of personal experience with the M44. Short, pretty handy, accurate enough. I had a Romanian one, and while it was a total mix-master, it shot POA with heavy ball. Of course it'd throw a 3 foot fireball while it was at it. Like it, but I like the M91 series more personally. I'm taller, broader, than most... so a longer rifle... generally not a problem for me.

If they are about the same price, I would probably say one is either over priced, or under priced. I'd say rock the Mauser, as it would be a more interesting piece collection wise, and is likely to be more accurate than the Mosin (though these can be plenty accurate as well). Ammo will cost a little more, but if you get modern production stuff, you could always dive head first into reloading :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thank you, both are the same price, my son is looking for a mil surp rifle as they are ussually more reliable than civilian versions. He asked for advice on them the M44 is in cosmoline the mauser is not but he claims is clean with a good bore.He does reload so ammo will not be an issue. Thanks again for your comments. Luckydog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

if the bore is good then i recommend the MAUSER MAUSER MAUSER!!!! :lol: i have 2 of the spanish 93 mausers in 7mm mausers and they are among my most accurate guns! the 7 mm round is accurate and a sweet shooter i much prefer it over my m44! just my 2 cents worth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Depends on what year the Mosin 44 is. If you want a shooter, then I'd choose the Mosin 44 which are superb little carbines that are handy and superbly accurate (mine are). However I'd only take it if is post-war, ie 1946-48 year, or later if Polish made. Far fewer were made and of course they were not involved in WWII so they tend to be in great condition.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:16 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I can't believe we are on a surplus rifle forum, and no one has given the obvious advice...
Get them BOTH! :lol:

Seriously! But if you can't...the Mosin is cheaper to shoot, the 7mm is nicer to shoot, and as pointed out before, some day the 7mm Mausers might be worth more...maybe.

Have fun with whichever you get! :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:39 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks every one, he can only afford one at this time. I will pass your great comments to him and have him check out the M44 for year of manufacture etc.
While we are in this forum do any of you fellows would know were can a rear (butt) sling swivel for an SVT 40 could be gotten? Sarco Numrich, Tenn. Gun do not have any

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:02 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Maybe search the small parts section on Gunbroker? Or maybe if there is one on Gunsamerica, or Auctionarms? eBay might be a shot. I know those are all auction sites, and not the preferred place to get parts, but it's worth a try. When you get enough posts under your belt, you can always put up a WTB thread in the "Looking For..." section.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

the mauser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

im a mosin guy and have sever mosins including 3 M-44's 1 russin 2 hungarian i also have a spanish M-1943. i love the mosin and when manfactured with good craftsman ship is just as good as teh mauser IMO but ill admit that teh mauser is a better design and off the assembly line the mauser is superior get the mauser. ammo is cheap and plentiful for thr mosin but thatcarbine isnt as accuarte as teh mauser but 7x57 surplus is harder to come by

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:33 pm 

Lots of good advice here so far. The Mausers will generally be better finished mechanically, while the Mosin will have more usable sights. Both will be reliable and excellent guns. Ammo is easily found for both, however, surplus 7x57 is almost nonexistent anymore. I have both of these rifles, and would recommend the Mauser if they are the same price. Young eyes will handle the Mauser's sights well and they are beautiful rifles.

"If you need Anything more, you either love to waste money on useless crap, or have to wear flip flops, because you are too stupid for Velcro sneakers." Burner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Go with the Spanish, I've a M1916 (started life as a Lowe '95) that would be the last surplus rifle I parted with; the 7mm Mauser is a wonderful cartridge, and many "modern" hunting rounds are based on it.

scott

Stuff, some of it's Italian, some of it shoots.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:54 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Mauser :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

MAUSER...the Boers made mince meat of the British over the veldt with the '93 in 7x57. The 7x57 is accurate, hard hitting and deeply penetrating. The after market options are everywhere for the '93. I have owned several, and I dare say with the cock on closing they are swifter to operate than the '98s, not fully as strong, but for the safe handloads of the 7x57, plenty strong. Better operating, as is, safety, too.
This is no slight against the MN, I have several, but a Mauser is a Mauser.

Sako M-39,'43, Mauser K98k,'44;Turk '93, '96;Swede'96,long infantry rifle,'03; NPM M-1Carbine;SA M-1 Garand '43;LE No 4 ,'54;Walther PP(vet bringback);Izzy91/30, '42; "11" M-44, '52,in the white;Vz 52; Tula PTG 1891 MN
Rom'69 trainer,'70.