http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ross M10
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Had my last Ross two years back and fell into this one cheap due to its poor condition.Bore not so good but shot about 3.5" at 100 with a .314 cast bullet.The last i had with a good bore shot 2"-2-1/2" for 10 shots at 100 with lead so we will see how the cruddy worn bore rifle can eventually do.Anyone know where a guy can find some misc part for the Ross? Numrich has a few,but not many.A stock would be great!

What the heck are these worth these days? I traded my last good one for a 1903A3

George

Attachments:
PICT1275.JPG
PICT1275.JPG [ 811.95 KiB | Viewed 1587 times ]
PICT1274.JPG
PICT1274.JPG [ 807.7 KiB | Viewed 1587 times ]

Post subject: Re: Ross M10
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:03 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

No one else has jumped in? Okay.

Congrats on having a full military Ross back in your collection. Very nice...in any condition. :thumb:

You've got a Ross Mk IIIB..one of a number produced for Great Britain and used there by the Home Guard during the Second World War. It differs from the Canadian-used Ross Rifles largely in the front and rear sight configuration, with the rear sight similar to that used in the Pattern 14/Model 17 Enfields and the eared front sight. S/N is also stamped in the steel rather than in the buttstock as in the Mk III rifles.

The rifle looks fairly complete from my glance at the photos, which is good because parts are almost non-existent from dealers. You're better off to work through the Ross-specific boards (e.g. rossrifle.com). As for a stock, you're pretty much out of luck. A couple of adventurous souls have taken on fabricating new stocks but, so far, pretty much one off. You're already better off, though, than the many folks who have sporterized Mk IIIs, who need not just the woodwork, but the nosecap and other metal bits as well..something also bordering on unobtanium.

As for value...here in Canada full wood Ross Mk III rifles bring in more than $1,000 in good condition with clear markings. I don't think IIIB prices are much off that. A rough bore would drag it down some in my view.

Glad to see you shooting it though. That's what they're for.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:50 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Quote:
You've got a Ross Mk IIIB..one of a number produced for Great Britain and used there by the Home Guard during the Second World War. It differs from the Canadian-used Ross Rifles largely in the front and rear sight configuration, with the rear sight similar to that used in the Pattern 14/Model 17 Enfields and the eared front sight. S/N is also stamped in the steel rather than in the buttstock as in the Mk III rifles.

I'd never heard of those WW2 era rifles. I'd always thought that only WW1 surplus Ross rifles were still available at that time.

A few years back an old storage building believed to have been used as an ammo dump was opened up here in the states.
They were suprized to fnd crates of Winchester manufactured .303 ammo marked not for aerial gun use.
The theory is that this was ammo turned down by British purchasing agents and sent on for use by the U S Coastguard who'd been issued old Ross Rifles once used as drill rifles during WW1.
The Ross seems to have shown up in the least expected places. Many were also sent to the Soviets, and some of those later rebuilt as target rifles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:46 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Sorry...should have made it more clear....the Mk IIIBs were produced during WW1 and then dragged out and used by the Home Guard in the second world war. It wasn't a new contract.