http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:16 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Well, I finally tired of pleading with various fabricators to make rear aperture sights for some of my rifles, and decided to whittle my own. You can buy an aperture blade for the SMLE or the Finn M39, but that's about it. Those notches in the rear blades of my K98k, M96 and M38 Swedes, and M1911 Swiss are just fuzz to my eyes. I've tried the Mojo sights, but I wanted something more like the issued sights, but without that darned teeny weenie notch.

Not having access to a machine shop is no impediment. All you really need is a spare rear sight ramp for your rifle (Numrich), a tube of JB Weld (AutoZone), and some flat black baking lacquer (Brownells). Actually, you don't even need a spare sight if you are willing to sacrifice the one you have, but spares are usually plentiful and cheap.

Step 1: You'll need a fine round file (needle file) with a diameter of about 0.10 inches. You can get them at Lowes or Home Depot. Make the notch in the rear blade a semi-circle or part thereof, taking care not to increase it's depth. If you do this step right, you'll not change your point of aim or impact.

Step 2: Find a 8d finish nail or something else about 0.09" in diameter, coat it with thin layer of grease, and lay it in the rear sight notch. This will form the aperture. Now build a dam around the blade with scotch tape as a form for the JB Weld. Don't worry about neatness just yet. You'll remove the excess with a file later, and square up the blade in the final step.

Step 3: Mix and goop on the JB Weld to fill the mold you've created around the rear sight blade. Let it harden for 24 hours and then remove the tape, and pull out the nail.

Step 4: File it to the desired shape and contour. Ream out the aperture the desired aperture. I find that 0.09 to 01.0 inches is about right. Wet sand with 220 grit. Coat with baking lacquer and bake at 300F for 20 minutes. Done.

Shoot and be happy. Pics of the M96, M1911 and K98k are attached. I'm going after my Norwegian Krag and K31 next.

Attachments:
Slide1.jpg
Slide1.jpg [ 482.53 KiB | Viewed 9859 times ]
M96b.jpg
M96b.jpg [ 612.77 KiB | Viewed 9859 times ]
M96a.jpg
M96a.jpg [ 503.1 KiB | Viewed 9859 times ]
1911b.jpg
1911b.jpg [ 629.06 KiB | Viewed 9859 times ]
1911a.jpg
1911a.jpg [ 650.22 KiB | Viewed 9859 times ]

Frequently wrong, never in doubt!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Very interesting. Now howcome the Germans, Swedes, Swiss, and all those other folks never adopted an apeture sight in the first place?

My collection: HRA M1 Garand, bring back Kar98k, No.1 Mk.III*, Mosin-Nagant 91/30, Carcano M91/41, Type 38 Arisaka, Swiss 96/11, CZ 452, NEF Pardner Single Shot 12 Gauge, Sino-Soviet SKS, Glock 19, P-08 Luger, P38, TTC, M1895 Nagant Revolver.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:59 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

That, my friend, is very cool.

How does the long eye-relief peep fare to short eye-relief peep? Is it hard to centre the fore-sight in the peep you made?

The U.K., where I can own a .55" cal Boys Anti-Tank rifle, but not a handgun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:27 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Quote:
Very interesting. Now howcome the Germans, Swedes, Swiss, and all those other folks never adopted an apeture sight in the first place?

I've never heard an explanation that fits the facts. A leaf sight is a tad faster in acquiring the target at close range on a charging target. However, some of these rifles have a minimum setting of 300 meters. Run as fast as you like. I can find you in the aperture.

I've heard it was "tradition". I'd chuck that in a heartbeat in a shooting war if ANYTHING gave me an edge.

I've heard it was the age of the soldiers. Young eyes tolerate the leaf sight better. "Well duh", as my young son says He's 15 and he still shoots better with an aperture sight.

So, I'll leave to someone with a better story to tell to explain this one. I would note that very few military rifles today use anything other than an aperture sight unless they have an optical sight of some kind.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:31 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Quote:
How does the long eye-relief peep fare to short eye-relief peep? Is it hard to centre the fore-sight in the peep you made?

Functionally they are the same. Because the aperture is a bit farther from your eye, the field of view would be proportionally reduced for the same aperture size. So, the solution is a slightly larger aperture.

You might also be a bit more conscious of the aperture being there, but no more so than with the notched blade it replaced.

You may notice that the front sight is in sharper focus when you replace the notched blade with an aperture sight, especially if you suffer from short-arm syndrome (arms too short to read the newspaper).

I've made them now for three different rifles, and I use the aftermarket apertures that can be swapped for the blade of the Enfield No. 1 Mk III, and the Finn Mosin 39. I've settled on a 0.09 inch aperture as the best for general use - it's a good compromise between precision and light-transmission.

You can start with a smaller aperture, and ream it out until you get what works best for you.

No, it is not hard to center the front sight. In fact, your brain does that naturally. A peep aperture works best of you don't think too much about trying to center the blade. Use the force, Luke....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I checked this sight out yesterday. It was mounted on a Swiss 1911 and is a terrific improvement over the factory notch.
Very professional job.
Are you gonna market them?
riflemanone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:23 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Quote:
Are you gonna market them?

Patent protection might be an issue, as I've just broadcast the trade secrets (JB Weld, scotch tape, and a file), prior art, and nature of the invention, as well as a description of a working example to the world. I think not. I'm happy if folks find the information useful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Popeye ; This should be a sticky ! :thumb: (Cool job dmg4) ! :thumb: :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:59 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Nice Job , Looks great !!!

No.4 MKII - FAZ 1950
No.5 FAZ 1945.
No.1 MKIII* - 1916 BSA,1916 Enfield,1917 SSA,1940 Dispersal,1942 Lithgow,1943 GRI.
No.1 MKIII - 1916 BSA.
Mosin Nagant M44.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:13 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Good work!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:30 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

>>>
I'm happy if folks find the information useful.
>>>

BE HAPPY! I just took off the S&K LER scope mount from my M48 last month, it was a pain to use a scope on a stock not designed for it, and I decided that even my blind old self should suck it up and skip the glass. Your solution is a GREAT compromise towards usability without hosing up the essential nature of the firearm.

>>>
Popeye ; This should be a sticky !
>>>

Seconded!

Regards,
Brian in CA

PS I took my sole remaining stocker Garand out the same day, too much fog to shoot but I've not been shooting it in favor of one of my match guns with the small NM sights - they're just easier to use when you're old/blind/both.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:10 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

This is great work! I've bought some of the aftermarket replacement blades to do the same thing and used JB weld and a small washer once. The apertures make a big difference for old eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:56 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Over the last few years I have done a few this way and others utilizing a length of match stick epoxied to the top of a tangent sight. Be aware that you must now be very careful not to bump the sight or else break the rear sight mod. I find that Belzona steel putty works best, it is the toughest "super play dough" I have found.
This match stick mod started as proof of concept for a sight made from steel but it worked so well I left it alone. Its been there 3+ years and still works great. For me a forward peep corrects vertical stringing from the blur on the top of an open tangent rear sight.Sight acquisition takes a little longer but accuracy is greatly improved.

Attachments:
IMG_3073.JPG
IMG_3073.JPG [ 330.11 KiB | Viewed 9728 times ]

SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:44 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Very cool and simple
Thanks for sharing :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:26 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I used rubber cement for trial and error and a selection of washers after hollowing out the channel. J.B weld as the final. It is removable with a well placed wack..53Fr8