http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I'm playing with the idea of getting a .223 in bolt action. Were any made for military use that are milsurps?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:36 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Not a one that I'm aware of. The sub-caliber "assault rifle" 224/221 dia. ammo is two generations removed from the full power Main Battle Rifle ammo - the intermediate .310 and .323 Sturmgewehr stage of late WW2 being the middle generation.

$329 will get a Savage Axis package gun in 223 around here.

Regards,
Brian in CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:39 pm 

BRNO and other CZ companies have made "mini-mausers" in .223. The Aussies have also converted the Enfield rifles into this caliber as well. As for being "used" for military training, I'm not sure. I would assume some schools may have used them for marksmanship training.
A member will know for sure.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

A gunsmith local to me did some development work converting no.4's to .223 for the British MOD as trainers but they worked out too expensive so weren't pursued.

I suspect you won't find any more than that tbh - I think AIA make something similar but not a milsurp per sae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

The 5.56/.223 cartridge was developd as a cartridge to be fired in a select fire military weapon(at the time it was what is now known as the M16).
To my knowledge no nation has developed or adopted a bolt action rifle that is firing this cartridge for military serivce. Most nations that have a bolt action rifle in service are using .30 caliber or larger. So there should be no unaltered "milsurp" bolt action rifles in 5.56.