http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

. . . first successful iron-sights hunt!

Thank you, Surplusrifleforum!

Although I am not a young man (and have the eyes to prove it) I'm still a relative newcomer to the worlds of guns and hunting (not how I was raised. Don’t hate me!). I had certainly never put any meat on the ground using iron sights . . . until yesterday.

Now I have done, and pictures are attached.

Attachment:
islandfieldhog.1.jpg
islandfieldhog.1.jpg [ 478.84 KiB | Viewed 1293 times ]

The first photo shows the sow hog I shot in my father-in-law's freshly planted green patch, and the rifle I used. The rifle is a Brazilian m1908 Short Rifle equipped (for my aging eyes) with Mojo Snapsights. The sights are fantastic, IMHO, and they basically made this hunt possible. That said, I am also aware that the rifle is a bit of an ugly duckling, but I'm pretty dang sweet on it right now....

Attachment:
islandfieldhog.2.jpg
islandfieldhog.2.jpg [ 361.14 KiB | Viewed 1293 times ]

The second photo shows the view back from the sow to the woodline I shot her from. If you draw a vertical line up from the stock wrist to the pine plantation, you'll get a sense of my approximate position. I was a good ten feet inside, concealed by brush. I stepped off the distance back to the woodline from the sow, and it's 120 paces (mine are roughly a yard when I set my mind to measuring). So allowing for measurement slop, I killed that hog from between 120 and 125 yards out. Using iron sights! (That sound you hear is me patting myself on the back).

Attachment:
progressivelens.jpg
progressivelens.jpg [ 213.48 KiB | Viewed 1293 times ]

The third photo shows the view through the right (shooting-eye) lens of the glasses I was wearing when I made that shot. As I said, I do not have a young man's eyes anymore. Don’t get me started on the manifold shortcomings of progressive lenses and how the only thing worse than using progressives is losing them….

I would never have attempted that shot with the m1908 Short Rifle's issue sights; I can't see them well enough to do so. However, with the Mojo Snapsights, I don’t have to focus on the sights; I focus through them, and concentrate on centering them on the target. I’d call this analogous to using a tiny, zero-magnification, and danged-near-weightless scope, or something like that).

During the hunt in question (which I was imagining more as an afternoon walk in the woods with a rifle than an actual hunt per se), I came up on the field through the pines. When I first saw hogs in the field, the hunt got real. I was still pretty deep inside the woods, so I stalked closer, using trees for cover at first, and then the brush at the field's edge. Getting closer gave me both a clear shot (no invisible twigs in the way), and a little more definition of the target (even so, she seemed just a little bit bigger than the apertures I was viewing her through). I centered her shoulder in the apertures and fired from a kneeling position with "hasty sling" support. She dropped where she stood. She thrashed around enough, however, that I went for a follow-up shot, after which she settled down.

I was pleased—with myself (that will wear off, I hope)—and, more importantly, with my gear. Good, field-tested swamp-and-woods gun.

By the bye, I handloaded that ammo, using neck-sized brass previously fired in that rifle, IMR 7828SSC, and the 139-grain Hornady Interlock SP. Used a powder charge at the low end of Hodgdon's online load manual; my guesstimation, based on the Hodgdon data, is that it should run at something like 2515 fps. [Note to lonniemike: Still no chronograph]. However, having noticed that Hodgdon's stated velocities seem to run, in general, about 100 fps faster than the same load in the Hornady 7th edition manual (when comparable loads are available), I ran the load through Hornady’s online ballistics calculator assuming 2400 fps, and found it fell within my "I'd hunt with that" cutoff (delivering—on paper—at least 1000 foot-pounds at 300 yards). This load having been quite accurate with that rifle, I took it into the field.

The meat is on ice in a cooler, waiting to be put up.

Thank you, Surplusrifleforum, and everyone here: I’d never have reached this milestone without the knowledge I've gleaned from your contributions over the years!

--Prof

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:16 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

professrh wrote:

Thank you, Surplusrifleforum, and everyone here: I’d never have reached this milestone without the knowledge I've gleaned from your contributions over the years!

--Prof

this made my day! this is why we exist! great kill and beautiful rifle! also i like the eye glass trick! pretty creative

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:10 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

That's a big pig! Good shooting!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:31 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

+1 :thumb: =D>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Thanks, y'all. I appreciate the support, and all the solid info I've gleaned here over time.

There were four or five hogs in the field when I got there; the one I shot was the biggest.

The rifle really does show its age, but it's solid, and pretty on the inside. I'm pretty sweet on it, like I said.

--Prof

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Congrats Prof! That's a really nice hog! I've seen you shoot with that rifle and those Mojo Snapsights, so I have no doubt you took it at that yardage...old eyes or not. I'm sure the little woman is very proud. :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:46 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

LCP:

That's right, you were there that day. Man, I really love those sights.

As for the Mrs, I'm not sure "proud" says it, quite. I'll ask. But she has told me more than once that she's glad it's hunting with surplus firearms and not a sporty red convertible. . . .

--Prof

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:18 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

professrh wrote:
...As for the Mrs, I'm not sure "proud" says it, quite. I'll ask. But she has told me more than once that she's glad it's hunting with surplus firearms and not a sporty red convertible. . . .

Yeah, I understand about the Mrs...mine struggles a bit with the killing animals thing...but she enjoys eating many of them. Surplus firearms are generally a whole lot cheaper, and a whole lot less trouble than a sporty red convertible. :wink: :D

Regards,
LCP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

LCPfraTN wrote:
Surplus firearms are generally a whole lot cheaper, and a whole lot less trouble than a sporty red convertible. :wink: :D

Regards,
LCP

There you go. And who needs trouble when there's milsurps to hunt with?

--Prof

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

professrh wrote:
. . . first successful iron-sights hunt!

Thank you, Surplusrifleforum!

Although I am not a young man (and have the eyes to prove it) I'm still a relative newcomer to the worlds of guns and hunting (not how I was raised. Don’t hate me!). I had certainly never put any meat on the ground using iron sights . . . until yesterday.

Now I have done, and pictures are attached.

Attachment:
islandfieldhog.1.jpg

The first photo shows the sow hog I shot in my father-in-law's freshly planted green patch, and the rifle I used. The rifle is a Brazilian m1908 Short Rifle equipped (for my aging eyes) with Mojo Snapsights. The sights are fantastic, IMHO, and they basically made this hunt possible. That said, I am also aware that the rifle is a bit of an ugly duckling, but I'm pretty dang sweet on it right now....

Attachment:
islandfieldhog.2.jpg

The second photo shows the view back from the sow to the woodline I shot her from. If you draw a vertical line up from the stock wrist to the pine plantation, you'll get a sense of my approximate position. I was a good ten feet inside, concealed by brush. I stepped off the distance back to the woodline from the sow, and it's 120 paces (mine are roughly a yard when I set my mind to measuring). So allowing for measurement slop, I killed that hog from between 120 and 125 yards out. Using iron sights! (That sound you hear is me patting myself on the back).

Attachment:
progressivelens.jpg

The third photo shows the view through the right (shooting-eye) lens of the glasses I was wearing when I made that shot. As I said, I do not have a young man's eyes anymore. Don’t get me started on the manifold shortcomings of progressive lenses and how the only thing worse than using progressives is losing them….

I would never have attempted that shot with the m1908 Short Rifle's issue sights; I can't see them well enough to do so. However, with the Mojo Snapsights, I don’t have to focus on the sights; I focus through them, and concentrate on centering them on the target. I’d call this analogous to using a tiny, zero-magnification, and danged-near-weightless scope, or something like that).

During the hunt in question (which I was imagining more as an afternoon walk in the woods with a rifle than an actual hunt per se), I came up on the field through the pines. When I first saw hogs in the field, the hunt got real. I was still pretty deep inside the woods, so I stalked closer, using trees for cover at first, and then the brush at the field's edge. Getting closer gave me both a clear shot (no invisible twigs in the way), and a little more definition of the target (even so, she seemed just a little bit bigger than the apertures I was viewing her through). I centered her shoulder in the apertures and fired from a kneeling position with "hasty sling" support. She dropped where she stood. She thrashed around enough, however, that I went for a follow-up shot, after which she settled down.

I was pleased—with myself (that will wear off, I hope)—and, more importantly, with my gear. Good, field-tested swamp-and-woods gun.

By the bye, I handloaded that ammo, using neck-sized brass previously fired in that rifle, IMR 7828SSC, and the 139-grain Hornady Interlock SP. Used a powder charge at the low end of Hodgdon's online load manual; my guesstimation, based on the Hodgdon data, is that it should run at something like 2515 fps. [Note to lonniemike: Still no chronograph]. However, having noticed that Hodgdon's stated velocities seem to run, in general, about 100 fps faster than the same load in the Hornady 7th edition manual (when comparable loads are available), I ran the load through Hornady’s online ballistics calculator assuming 2400 fps, and found it fell within my "I'd hunt with that" cutoff (delivering—on paper—at least 1000 foot-pounds at 300 yards). This load having been quite accurate with that rifle, I took it into the field.

The meat is on ice in a cooler, waiting to be put up.

--Prof

120 ~ 125 yds with iron sights? You've got reason to be proud!
Nice looking rifle; if you decide to sell it let me know. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

professrh wrote:
LCP:

As for the Mrs, I'm not sure "proud" says it, quite. I'll ask. But she has told me more than once that she's glad it's hunting with surplus firearms and not a sporty red convertible. . . .

--Prof

Midlife crisis: sporty red convertible + 20 something blond = divorce + poverty - convertible.
At least that's the way my wife explained it to me. :dance:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Merle wrote:
professrh wrote:
LCP:

--Prof

Midlife crisis: sporty red convertible + 20 something blond = divorce + poverty - convertible.

Thanks, Merle. Passing this one along to MrsH.

--Prof

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:19 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

professrh wrote:
Merle wrote:
professrh wrote:
LCP:

--Prof

Thanks, Merle. Passing this one along to MrsH.

--Prof

OK, I'm just glad to help!!!!! :lol: