Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Britsh 303

Des1ash2
United States of America

Britsh 303

#1 Post by Des1ash2 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:15 am

I had bought a britsh 303 mark 4 I have been trying to find out what it is and the value I cant find one on the net this has all its numbers but it says England 1942 stamped on it

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Re: Britsh 303

#2 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:04 pm

I'm guessing a "No1 Mk4"?
Sorry to sound prissy but the Brit No & Mk thing can be confusing & getting it wrong can actually refer to a totally different rifle.
"ENGLAND" is a U.S. required import stamp pre 1968, so it was imported into the US before that date.
It sounds from your description like its been "scrubbed" (had its markings removed), this is frequently, but not always a clue to it having been to India. What are the "its numbers"? These may tell us who made it. Can you post pictures of both the whole thing & close ups of the action bolt & breech areas?
Does it look like this (possibly with darker wood)
Attachments
DSCF6171.JPG

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Britsh 303

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:42 am

Welcome to the forum :clap: :clap:
Yep, we need pictures. :dance: :dance:

Basic info: https://www.milsurps.com/enfield.php?pg=in2.htm

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/history/

For prices and a general value one of the better price guides for military surplus rifles from all over the world is the STANDARD CATALOG OF MILITARY FIREARMS: The collector's price and reference guide, by Phillip Peterson now in its 8th edition, 2016-2017. A Guns Digest Publication. Well worth the 35 bucks. Remember prices are determined by type/variety, regional location, supply & demand, rarity, condition, and specific markings and how intact it remains. The book is only a general guide. However, it is a winner with over 456 pages of information. Most pawn shops and dealers use it. Prices are given for firearms in poor, fair, good, very good, excellent, to NIB condition ranges. It also includes values of bayonets & holsters. It is organized by country, then by type.
factors to consider when buying or placing a value on a surplus rifle : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2911

:text-worthless:
need pics of the wrist strap, top of receiver, and each side of the receiver. Check the "basic" 2 links shown above and see if it matching.
pics like this???
Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 12.23.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 12.22.46 AM.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee–Enfield
Production and manufacturers[edit]
In total, over 16 million Lee–Enfields had been produced in several factories on different continents when production in Britain shut down in 1956, at the Royal Ordnance Factory ROF Fazakerley in Liverpool after that factory had been plagued with industrial unrest. The machinery from ROF Fazakerley was sold to Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF) in Rawalpindi where production and repair of the No.4 rifle was continued from 1957.[91][92] Also contributing to the total was the Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI) at Ishapore in India, which continued to produce the SMLE in both .303 and 7.62×51mm NATO until the 1980s, and is still manufacturing a sporting rifle based on the SMLE Mk III action, chambered for a .315 calibre cartridge[93] the Birmingham Small Arms Company factory at Shirley near Birmingham, and SAF Lithgow in Australia, who finally discontinued production of the SMLE Mk III* with a final 'machinery proving' batch of 1000 rifles in early 1956, using 1953-dated receivers. During the First World War alone, 3.8 million SMLE rifles were produced in the UK by RSAF Enfield, BSA, and LSA.[94]

The wristguard markings on a 1918-dated Short Magazine Lee–Enfield Mk III* rifle manufactured by the London Small Arms Co. Ltd. The "G.R." under the crown stands for "George Rex" and refers to the reigning monarch at the time the rifle was manufactured.
List of manufacturers[edit]
The manufacturer's names found on the MLE, CLLE, and SMLE Mk I—Mk III* rifles and variants are:

Marking Manufacturer Country
Enfield Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield United Kingdom
Sparkbrook Royal Small Arms Factory Sparkbrook United Kingdom
BSA Co The Birmingham Small Arms Company Limited United Kingdom
LSA Co London Small Arms Co. Ltd United Kingdom
Lithgow Lithgow Small Arms Factory Australia
GRI Rifle Factory Ishapore British India
RFI Rifle Factory Ishapore India (Post-Independence)

Note 1: "SSA" and "NRF" markings are sometimes encountered on First World War-dated SMLE Mk III* rifles. These stand for "Standard Small Arms" and "National Rifle Factory", respectively. Rifles so marked were assembled using parts from various other manufacturers, as part of a scheme during the First World War to boost rifle production in the UK. Only SMLE Mk III* rifles are known to have been assembled under this program.

Note 2: GRI stands for "Georgius Rex, Imperator" (Latin for "King George, Emperor (of India)", denoting a rifle made during the British Raj. RFI stands for "Rifle Factory, Ishapore", denoting a rifle made after the Partition of India in 1947.

For the No. 4 Mk I, No. 4 Mk I* and No. 4 Mk 2 rifles:

Marking Manufacturer Country
ROF (F) Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley United Kingdom
ROF (M) Royal Ordnance Factory Maltby United Kingdom
B The Birmingham Small Arms Company Limited United Kingdom
M47 and later M47C Birmingham Small Arms Factory (Shirley) United Kingdom
Long Branch Small Arms Limited and later, Canadian Arsenals Limited Canada
Squared S and US PROPERTY Savage Arms U.S.
POF Pakistan Ordnance Factories Pakistan

Note 1: Second World War UK production rifles had manufacturer codes for security reasons. For example, BSA Shirley is denoted by M47C, ROF(M) is often simply stamped "M", and BSA is simply stamped "B".

Note 2: Savage-made Lee–Enfield No. 4 Mk I and No. 4 Mk I* rifles are all stamped "US PROPERTY". They were supplied to the UK under the Lend-Lease programme during the Second World War. No Savage Lee–Enfields were ever issued to the US military; the markings existed solely to maintain the pretence that American equipment was being lent to the UK rather than permanently sold to them.[95]
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”