Where in America can I buy

S.B.

Re: Where in America can I buy

Post by S.B. »

Please explain your M-N & L-E statements?
Steve

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tommy Atkins »

???? sorry what is confusing you?
Its just a coincidence but the M-N "FIELD" gauge is the same dimensions as the Enfield so you can use it for either. Because of the different cartridge case shape this is not true for the GO or NO-GO ones though.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

With the Firewerks, Mosin 3 gauge set you get 3 Mosin gauges-GO, NO GO, and FIELD. The Mosin No Go is a .073 or .074 gauge. I am going by the measurements provided in the video. That is very close to an Enfield FIELD gauge .074. It can function as an Enfield FIELD gauge. It is the same diameter as all other coin gauges and is only .001 short. Measurements are not confirmed.

I ordered the Firewerks Mosin FIELD gauge ( Because 15 years ago Yankee sent the wrong FIELD gauge for a Mosin set, I never realized it. As mentioned I got 2 enfield .074 gauges ) Now I am giving confirmation that it is the same diameter and circumference as all other coin gauges (Yankee, Okie and Firewerks) and I measured it and it is the same size as shown in the video .076. To be clear, :arrow: :arrow: I got this to function as a Mosin FIELD gauge because 15 years ago Yankee sent me two Enfield Field Gauges that measure .074, instead of a Mosin FIELD GAUGE. For 15 years I have been testing Mosins with the incorrect gauge a .074 size rather than a .076-.0765 correct size. So I now have a correct Mosin FIELD gauge.
As a side note, I never found an imported Mosin that failed a Field test with an incorrect .074 gauge. So this new gauge is really useless at .076. :lol: But I got a correct Mosin gauge.

NOW IF ONE WANTS a less than $25 w free shipping ENFIELD, MAKE DO FIELD Gauge that is made in the US you can order the Firewerks, MOSIN-- NO GO guge that measures .073 or .074. I did not order one, because I did not need an Enfield field gauge, so I cannot state for sure its measurements. However, in the video (and to be clear it is this video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLhtJBJr6yY
the Firewerks, Mosin --NO GO GAUGE shown and measured by the author of the video measures .073 which is .001 less than a correct ENFIELD, US terminology FIELD GAUGE that should measure .074. My two Yankee gauges are .074. Now in British terms no such thing as a British Field gauge exists and they list a GO and a NO GO at :
Just to correct the terminology : there are only two headspace gauges for Lee Enfield's GO and NO-GO

The Go (Reject) is 0.064"
The NO-Go (High Limit) is 0.074"

The 'Field gauge' term was introduced by SAAMI but The Enfield pre-dates SAAMI.
If you ask for a Lee Enfield 'Field' gauge you will never find one.
So better than no gauge, tape, solder, or a SAAMI Forster gauge at .070; :arrow: ALL I am saying is the Firewerks, Mosin --NO GO gauge measuring slightly short at .073, and a coin gauge that slips under the extractor, is better choice for a make do UPPER LIMIT ENFIELD HEADSPACE GAUGE (I use US terms and just call it a FIELD gauge)

So SB purchased a correct Tectal Austria ENFIELD gauge set that cost a wee bit. This is the correct gauge set for an ENFIELD.
He is set to go.

Now all I am suggesting, if some one uses a Forster bullet type, Enfield field gauge it measures .070 Saami specs and if your Enfield passes and the bolt does not close you are certainly good to go. However, the British military Upper Limit is .074 and in combat war time maybe as high as .084. TO BE CLEAR, So if someone is cheep, and just wants an easy coin gauge they can slip under an extractor to get an idea at a gun show or shop if an old Enfield might close toward the upper limit[/color], then the FIREWERKS MOSIN NO GO gauge can be used because it is close at .073. NOW IF YOU WANT A CORRECT MILITARY spec. SET in a coin gauge style then the TECTAL AUSTRIA Made costly set is the proper set to buy. That is what SB purchased.

SO, NO, the Mosin Field gauge will not work on an Enfield as a Upper Limit FIELD gauge. stop YOU HAVE TO BUY THE NO GO, MOSIN FIREWERKS coin gauge. It measures either .073 or .074 close to correct specifications, and close enough for most to see if the rifle has a bolt that might not fall into proper limits. Heck most people think headspace is a joke and never test. If I buy a $600 rifle I want an SMLE that the bolt will not close on a SAAMI Foster FIELD gauge or at least a FIELD coin gauge at .074. If the bolt closes, I leave it on the table, I will buy another rifle that passes for the same buck.

In sum.
If you want an almost MAKE DO, ENFIELD UPPER LIMIT (Field) headspace coin gauge the closest thing you will find made in the USA; it is the Firewerks Mosin NO GO gauge that is short by .001 at .073 based on the video. The best and only correct made set coin set is the TECTAL AUSTRIA made expensive set. Or you get an original Canadian or British military set like Alan showed in this post. I hope that is clear.

Lets muddy the waters, if you are into Mosins and Enfields then buy the 3 coin set by Fireworks it will be good to cover both rifles. Cheep ! If a perfectionist, buy the Firewerks set for your Mosin rifles and the Tectal , Austria made set for your Enfields. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I only use the FIELD gauge, have never used a GO, and only buy a NO GO if the set is cheep at a show because some gunsmith is retiring and selling his stuff cheep. To check for dogs, all you need is a FIELD gauge for the rifles you buy/collect. Call me stupid, I never buy a rifle where the bolt closes on a field gauge, unless it for parts. Just too many surplus rifles that pass a NO GO and a FIELD test! Why buy a beat old dog?
Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

by Tommy Atkins » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:22 am
You can use a 7.62X54R coin style gauge!
Coincidentally its identical with a .303 British Field gauge at 0.074"
7.62X54 R FIELD
Yes, it was this startling fact that caused me to actually measure the thickness specifications of my coin gauges and realize my Mosin field gauge is actually another Enfield gauge incorrectly marked. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

--------------------------
Added
I read this about 5 times and I see the confusion;
M-N FIELD is coincidentally the same as L-E FIELD @ 0.074"!
I think Tommy meant to say the: M-N NO GO is coincidentally the same as L-E FIELD @ 0.074"!
A typo. A Mosin nagant rifle FIELD IS actually .076-.0765

Tommy you may want to edit this:
Its just a coincidence but the M-N "FIELD" NO GO gauge is the same dimensions as the Enfield so you can use it for either. Because of the different cartridge case shape this is not true for the GO or NO-GO FIELD ones though.
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.46.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.46.32 PM.png (264.71 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
source of photo about a NO GO Mosin, now extinct OKIE Gauge :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPUzFrGO0Qc
an old Okie quote:
I manufacture all of my gauges to mill-spec. In the case of 7.62x54r those specs are .064", .073" and .076" in ascending order from GO to FIELD.
:confusion-seeingstars: :handgestures-salute:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Here is some real basic info in video for Enfields (some is goofy):
coin gauge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CbjuHPq90U

bullet gauge no removal of extractor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9yWHOxHTtY

Tectal HS set, actual use and what they look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O9JsPGKGuQ

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:38 pm
Its just a coincidence but the M-N "FIELD" gauge is the same dimensions as the Enfield so you can use it for either. Because of the different cartridge case shape this is not true for the GO or NO-GO ones though.
Your acronyms M-N and L-E?
Steve

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

M-N is way too short for Mosin Nagant; L-E is Lee Enfield. It took me a second too.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Maybe British small talk? Thank you.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Finally took delivery of the coin head spacing gauges from Austria todays post. They work great without having to remove extractor.
Steve

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Finally took delivery of the coin head spacing gauges from Austria today's post. They work great without having to remove extractor.
Steve

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”