http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:19 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hello,

I have a Polish wz29 that I bought already modified for a scope ( drilled and tapped ) and it is the first rifle I have ever owned that I could not get to shoot acceptable groups. I have tried several different types of commercial ammo and am loathe to try any corrosive surplus after the effort involved in getting the bore clean. When I first purchased the rifle I did my usual clean up and checks, bought some Mitchell's 8mm ammo at Dunham's, mounted an old Weaver 4x scope and shot some groups that could be measured in FEET instead of inches. I then spent an entire day checking screws and wearing my arm out scrubbing the bore. After more groups that looked like shotgun patterns I swapped the scope for a Weaver 6x that is known to be solid and happened upon some Remington 170gr. core-lokt ammo that was on clearance at a local store and bought a dozen boxes. At my range today I was able to keep most shots inside of a 4" circle at 100 yards but would sometimes throw one a good 6" out. Is this as good of accuracy that I can expect? are there any tricks or reloading recipes that someone could recomend? I have plenty of brass and primers but have held off buying any bullets untill researching what other people have had luck with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The muzzle of the barrel has a series of lines cut into it ( like a cross-hatch pattern ) does anyone know what this could be from? the crown does not have any serious nicks in it but I was thinking of getting one of those do it yourelf crowning tools just to eliminate it as a possible cause.

Regards,
Jacks son

"If it's time to hide them, It's time to use them"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:11 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Electric bore cleaner yet? usually helps, remove upper hand guard and try fireing for group, check the muzzle crown for wear and possible damage,check barrel channel for tight spots, shim under barrelat end of stock near muzzle? slug the bore? This is the list of the usual suspects I'd look into. :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:33 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

+1 to what gunfighter said and I would try some milsurp ammo. That is what they were made for, and some shoot different types of ammo better than others. Give it a shot and just clean properly after shooting and it won't hurt your rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Don't take this wrong, but are YOU capable of shooting better than 4 inch groups? I have helped a good number of people with rifles that they said would not shoot well and when we went to the range and I sat down at the bench with a solid front and rear rest I shot little tiny groups with the rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I have one of those Polish Mausers that looked in good shape when I bought it.The bore looked OK at first glance,and I decided to try it at the range.It was awful with the rounds keyholing at fifty yards
and hence no accuracy at all.A look with a bore scope showed the barrel was eaten up in the throat and just beyond.My rifle had the crest and serial numbers scrubbed,and I find these guns had been shipped to Spain for their civil war.It is thought by some that the Spanish shot what they had in them including some of the old .318 rounds,and that this caused the barrel damage.(What do you experts think?)Anyway,to get some use out of it I rebarrelled it with a used K98 barrel,and it shoots fine now.
I would inspect the bore and slug it to see what you have.I hope you don't need to rebarrel.

Good luck,
George

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Thanks for the great replies,

Upon borrowing a borescope from my neighbor we discovered very shallow pitting all the way from the chamber to the muzzle that was so fine that I could not see it with my middle aged eyes. I do not imagine I will try to squeeze any more accuracy out of the old girl and would certainly not re-barrel her. As to the question about my ability to shoot smaller groups? Well if I show a picture of the .096" five shot group shot at a registered NBRSA match ( my personal record ) would it seem like bragging? I am not the best shot in the world but have logged a pretty fair amount of time and money trying to be.

Regards,

Jacks son

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:18 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

jacks son,

Get some Cerrosafe from MidwayUSA and pour a mold of the throat and leade, mesaure it and find a cast bullet to match. Lyman 323470 is a good start and you can by them commercially if you don't cast. 16 grs. of 2400 and a large pistol primer will get you started and you might be surprised at how accurate the old gal can be. I have a Yugo m24 that I bought at a gun show for $50 because the dealer said the barrel was shot out. A good cleaning and bore scope look showed lots of pits and throat damage. I seat the the bullet to just engrave the rifling when fully closed and it shoots right at an 1" at 100 yards with a Bushnell 4X scope (it was already drilled and tapped when I bought it). It doesn't shoot jacketed stuff worth a hoot (1 yard @100 yards).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:57 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I don't disagree with any of the posts, but 1Shot's advice would be my
first try, then crowning.