http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 46b vs. 144LSB
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Can anyone give me a comparison of the Mossberg 46b and the Mossberg 144LSB? I'm looking for a good target .22lr that won't break the bank. (An Anschutz would be nice, but a $1500 .22 just isn't in the cards right now.) My husband and I shoot in a .22 target league, 35 yards off-hand. I already have a Mossberg 46b(a) that I love...however, my husband loves it too. We started looking for a rifle for him recently so that we both have guns to shoot and don't feel rushed in competition, and we liked the 46b so much that we ended up buying a Mossberg 44US(a). Unfortunately, the "target barrel" that was supposed to be on it was the original barrel that had been cut down by several inches, and the stock was cut down too. So, our 44 just isn't balanced like it should be, and it's quite a bit lighter than it should be. As a result, my husband shoots far better with my 46b than with his 44. Now we're back where we started, with us both using the same gun in competition. We've been looking for another 46b, but we haven't had much luck finding one for a decent price recently. I did come across a 144LSB, though. Does anyone know if it shoots as well as the 46b? Or, do you know of any other models that would shoot similarly well for the price? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:37 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Welcome to the forum, kwoods!
Many of us here own Mossbergs & love em! :D
Thw 46 series of Mossberg rifle may have target style sights, but is more of a lightweight plinker or small game getter than a competition rifle.
The tubular magazine can hold upwards of 30 shorts or 20 22LR's.

The 144 series was an extension of the 44US training rifles with the 144, 144LS, & 144LSA rifles just an improved model of the old removable magazine 44.
The 144LSB was a much more serious attempt to produce a competetive target rifle. The LSB sports a heavy target barrel, much heavier than the 44 or earlier 144, LS & LSA. The LSB also sports a thicker target stock, adjustable hand stop for prone shooting, & a rail to mount a palm rest.
Both the 46B & LSB should have adjustable triggers.

If the price of the LSB is not too high( say over $300 to 325), then it may be a worthy purchase.
There are better rifles for target work to be had. The Mossbergs featured the bolt handle root as the only locking lug, as did many others like the Savage/Stevens & Marlin rifles, while the Winchester 52, 75, & Remington 37 , 513T & Polish Wifama kbks wz 78 feature dual locking lugs which may be better at keeping the case true to the bore than the single lug design.
The Polish Wifama is an amazing trainer; mush more accurate than the earlier Mossberg 44series & the medium barrel 144 LSA, & can be had for less than $300.00
A Remington 513T is also a better target rifle if the price is not too high & the condition is not too poor.
Winchester target rifles tend to command higher prices( I recently drove over 700 miles to acquire a model 52B & shelled out $1200 for the pleasure of driving home with it)
Best of luck with your pursuit, let us know how you made out, post pictures of your rifles & targets, & don't be a stranger here. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:42 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I bought my son a Savage MkI FVT through the CMP for less than $230. It's as accurate as most rifles selling for 5 times the price. You can get the clip-fed MkII for the same price. It comes with a very nice Williams receiver sight, and the receiver is also dovetailed for a scope if you so chose. It's one of the best buys available. The accu-trigger is very nice, and adjustable to less than 2 lbs. I've attached a jpeg of the order form, but you can download the same from the CMP website: http://www.thecmp.org

Attachments:
Savage(4).jpg
Savage(4).jpg [ 305.84 KiB | Viewed 6392 times ]
Savage(4).jpg
Savage(4).jpg [ 537.62 KiB | Viewed 6392 times ]

Frequently wrong, never in doubt!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:58 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

You might also consider a Kimber 82G from the CMP. They still have the "rusty" model for $400. Almost everyone has found that they really aren't very rusty..

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/rifles.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:12 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the input. It's good knowing that if I get the 144LSB, it can only be a step up from the 46b, and it's good having some other options as well. Below is a picture of my 46b(a). It came factory drilled and tapped for the scope, and we added the cheek pad and an EZ Pull trigger assist. Nothing to permanently alter the gun, but they definitely help. I'm also posting a picture of one of my targets from last night's shoot. It was a 53 out of 55, my highest score in competition yet. :D

The lower right target is kind of hard to see...it's at the lower right edge of the white circle. The 6 holes on the outer perimeter were from the way they hang the targets up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:09 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

What was the distance on those targets?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:26 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

35 yards offhand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Have you considered a polish trainer? The WZ rifles shoot great for me even with cheap ammo. Eric was selling them for 250 shipped last time I checked. I outshoot the guys I hang with that have custom 10/22's routinely.

-CP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:16 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

You know, I had never heard of that Polish trainer until I came on this forum. They look really good and people who own them seem to like them, but there has been no talk of selling any for the last several months. So, I thought Eric must be out of stock of them. In fact, I checked quite a few different sites, and the only one I could find for sale now was that broken down parts gun on gunbroker. I will have to check with him and see if he still has any available.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:51 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

kwoods wrote:
35 yards offhand

Good shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:20 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I'll second the recomendation of a Savage MKI FVT. My club has a member who shoots one and he does quite well against Suhls,Anschutz, Kimbers and the like. IMHO you will not find a better new target rifle for the money. I have owned a 144 LSB and they are fine rifles.

SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:32 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

kwoods wrote:
You know, I had never heard of that Polish trainer until I came on this forum. They look really good and people who own them seem to like them, but there has been no talk of selling any for the last several months. So, I thought Eric must be out of stock of them. In fact, I checked quite a few different sites, and the only one I could find for sale now was that broken down parts gun on gunbroker. I will have to check with him and see if he still has any available.

Step right up, my good lady! I still have some in inventory and will take good care of you. Until I post that I'm out of something I still have some. I love mine and have received great reports back from many of my buyers. You can PM me, email me at ericseavey@sbcglobal.net, or call me at 574-257-8131 and I will help in any way I can to make sure you are comfortable with your purchase.

Regards,
Eric/ENM Sports

ALWAYS looking to buy or trade for Finn Mosins!