http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:58 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I am close to buying an H&R Model 12 equipped with Redfield sights. Anyone have experience with one of these? Good-Bad.

SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28

Last edited by singleshotcajun on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

they are nice cmp sells them some times I have one with open sights and one scoped. whats the asking price, a friend just got one for $300. with out sights Robert

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:04 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I bought one with no sights from CMP a couple of years ago. If I recall correctly it was in the $220 range. Put a BSA Sweet .22 scope on it, using a Ken Vianni mount.

Looks like this:

Yesterday I took it to the range for the Spring MO/KAN shoot. In spite of a gusty crossing wind, it shot some sub MOA groups at 100 yards. Some groups of 3 or more touching holes at 100 yards, in the wind. No excuses if you miss.

They have great triggers, too. The only down side is that it's very big and heavy.

BTW, mine likes Aguilla Golden Eagel Target ammo the best.

Hector

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:09 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

My Russian target .22's (Vostok Ural and CM2)love the Aguila Match rifle and Aguila Standard velocity but NO one has any at the moment. I'm down to three bricks of the MR and getting very nervous. Just bought a case of Aguila Centurian lead LR that shoots 1250 fps, hope this stuff shoots well.
I found a nice Model 12 with Redfield International sights, a little spendy at 600.00 with shipping but I think the sights justify the price, I think I will do it.Do you have any info on that mount in case I want to scope it ?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:00 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Quote:
I found a nice Model 12 with Redfield International sights, a little spendy at 600.00 with shipping but I think the sights justify the price,

I would agree. If I recall correctly those sights run in the $250-350 range. The rifle without sights is easily worth $300.

Here's Ken Viani's e-mail address.

ken1855@hotmail.com

No d&t ing required for his mount as it uses the rear sight holes for the rear of the mount and the rear scope block holes for the front of the mount. Very very solid mount. I highly recommend it. It's not cheap though, and he does have quite a backlog, but you would already have useable iron sights, so you can shoot it while you wait. I had to fabricate my own mount to be able to shoot mine until the KV mount came in.

Hector

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

They are nice two guy at my club shoot 200 yard shoots with them. I like my got two from cmp one new in box for $300 some years ago and 2nd for 225. used with no sights. cmp sold out of them.they get them from time to time.I like my 40x better. if the rifle is new than thats a god price. if it was a use rifle that some one put used sights. than no

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:49 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

I've read that the Model 12 was H&R's answer to Winchester's model 52.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:13 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I paid $300 for an H&R model 12 with the sights as did a few members of our club. I have probably shot only a couple hundred rounds through it. Thought it was a pretty good deal. I mean where could you get a 22rf target rifle almost new in the box/with top quality sights for $300 bucks?. As time permits will probably lightly sand the stock and get a scope mount that positions the scope higher. Had a hard time getting a good cheek weld with that high comb on the stock. And I still kick myself for not buying the spare stock I saw at a gun show for $25. I could have cut, sanded,whittled to my hearts content. And still have the stock that came with the rifle. Funny thing, I was invited to a local rifle range in another parish. The adults were there coaching the junior shooters with air rifles. Since I was asked to bring two 22 target rifles I brought my rem 513T and the H&R 12. Good thing I had the smarts to bring abrick of ammo. The adults loved the H&R and the juniors loved the rem 513T. So a good day was had by all. And that's what's its all about. Frank

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:38 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I want it but not 600.00 worth of want. I can still find Russian target .22's for less than 500.00 and even though I have two of those I'm thinking they are a much better deal for the money and the H&R cannot possibly shoot better . Maybe a Kimber 82. Heck now I'm rambling. I got sniped on a Danish Shultz and Larson Target 6.5x55 on Gunbroker at the last minute and now am looking for another target rifle to buy with the money I had saved up for it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have an H&R 5200 which is the commercial version of the M12. I highly recommend these rifles. My wife found this one for $400 with iron sights, and gave it to me for Christmas. Here is a photo of it along with some recent 50 yard prone targets. My shooting needs work, but you can get an idea of what these rifles can do. These were shot using Wolf match extra.

Millman

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:29 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

When I took my M12 to the MO/Kan shoot, I was experimenting with a few different types of ammo, but it likes the Aguilla Golden Eagel Target ammo the best, as mentioned. It tends to print to an entirely different point with different ammo, although it stills groups well....just groups best with the Aguilla GE Target.

Anyway, I was about ready to pack it up, but had a partial box of the target ammo, so I decided to finish it off on a fresh target at 100 yards. BTW, the Sweet ,22 scope is zeroed in with that ammo, so the expectations is that it will print pretty close to point of aim. The first shot went high right into the 4 ring on the target. WTH? :shock: My only conclusion is, that after hadling various types of ammo, a high velocity round got in the box with the target ammo.

The next four shots went a little low and to the right, but there was a gusty wind blowing from left to right, so I adjust the elevation a click or two, and doped the wind a little. The next 9 went where they should have gone. With 5 breaking the one inch diameter X ring.

Here's the target, Keep in mind it was fired at 100 yards in a gusty wind.

Hector

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:52 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Here's my M12 that I bought used from CMP w/o sights for $225. About a year ago, CMP had the Redfield Palma sights for $150. I wouldn't sell it for $600.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:29 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

HOw does it shoot WLE ? I can still get this deal but need inspiration :lol: I do think 600 is a little high for it but then again they are not making any more of them. Unrealted , I shot a friends Kimber M82 yesterday and it is fine , the only thing I did not like about it and cancels them for me is the narrow pistol grip. My big ole paws wrap around them nearly twice.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Mine shoots great, but it is nearly new, though sold as used by CMP. It reminds me a lot of a Winchester 52 that I had.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:48 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

can you get the person selling it to come down on the price. have you seen the rifle