http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooey 82
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Does anyone know what the going price is for a Cooey 82 in original configuration? There doesn't seem to much information on them and I rarely see them for sale.

I found one with a full stock at the local gunshow for $300. Talked the guy down to $250, but that seemed high to me. The gun didn't have many markings, just "Cooey Mod 82" on the receiver along with a C over 75. The pistol grip had a 4 digit number. It didn't have a peep sight. The rifle looked to be in very good condition.

Is this a true Canadian military trainer? Is there any way to date these rifles? And, what do these rifles sell for?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Cooey 82
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:40 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

It's most likely the same one in a pawn shop in my area if you saw it at the Chantilly or Harrisonburg shows as they set up there. They want around $350.00 for it now! It is not complete as the rear aperture sight is missing but is Canadian marked. I think you made a very fair offer as I don't think it was worth over $200 given the condition if it's the same rifle.

If you just have to have it PM me and I'll tell you where it is at. I have no intrest in it though it is unique looking.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

is there a way to pick up a new Ap. sight anywhere? i read that not all of them came with an Ap. sight and some had just a good old fashion notch site.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:48 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Canadian cadets used them as trainers.
Those rifles will have the Canadian govt. C arrow stamp on them .
They were also sold to the public.
They'll run about $200-$250 in these parts and are well known for accuracy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:13 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

does anyone have any GOOD pics of one? im talking about top, sides, bottom, rear, front views with some detail. i cant find any online other than side profiles. id like to see a detailed lay out of how the parts fit on the rife such as the buttplate, the receiver, etc. as a comparison. any websites with pics would also be appreciated. :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:30 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Here's mine
Civilian purchase
Should also add that the stocks are 2 piece

Compared in length to a No4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:30 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

those are good pics. lets me compare mine to see whats up with it. one thing i noticed is that the buttplate is really really flimsy looking. it doesnt seem to be cut to "perfection" as other rifles. i also see that your bolt handle looks like its turned down, is that the right configuration? mine is just straight, similar to the pics here http://www.downeastantiques.com/detail. ... item=13777. aslo, im glad to see that the bolt should have a gap between the head of the bolt, and the cocking mechanism. i thought mine was defective at first, but it appears to be normal. mine happens to be a Cooey *67*, ill try to take some pics and post them up. the front band screw seems to have the thread stripped in the middle, and the screw is in backwards of yours. ((the head of the screw is on the other side of the band)). the wood is in overall very good condition in my opinion, and bore is clear and sharp. the bolt works well, and the trigger is crips with no creep. both swing swivels are present, the only thing missing is the sight Ap. that should be mounted on the rear.

EDIT:: forgot to ask, are the bands tight on your rifle? the front band on mine is a bit loose, and im wondering if thats not on purpose. ((accuracy wise)) im also not sure what ammo i should feed my Coo'. any preference that yours might have? federal/aquilla/armscor/CCI any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hi--I'm new to this forum but thought I would give my 2cents on the Cooey. I have a number of Cooey .22's and shotguns. Although many people don't give them much thought and many don't know what a Cooey is (especially in the US), Cooey has an interesting history and many models were made. They were actually quality .22's and shotguns before being taken over by Winchester in 1961. In regards to the model 82. A price of $250.00 is not out of line. Lately I have seen them go higher, sometimes lower so it is in the ball park. The 82 could be had with full length Mannlicher stock or 3/4 length stock. Barrels were 27 " heavy target barrels. I have both versions. Also not all 82's came with peep sights, some had plain iron sights. The 82 came with rotating sling swivels and stocks were walnut. If I came across a model 82 in fairly decent condition, I would pay the $250.00. These guns are becoming more scarace every day. Oh, the band on the front of mine is tight. By the way, when these guns first came out you could buy one for $9.95 or 2 for $18.00!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Iffy, I forgot to answer a couple of your questions. You have a number in the bottom of the pistol grip so you do indeed have a true Canadian military trainer used by the Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Air Force Cadets. Supposedly, Cooey had a contract for 34,810 of these rifles for the Canadian government.They were produced during WWll to the end of the 40's. These were actually pretty accurate rifles for such a simple design. You will have to try different brands of ammo to see what it likes best. Mine prefer CCI.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:59 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Tymber - that's one fine looking rifle. If you haven't refinished it, it's been well cared for. Very nice. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Thx :wink:
Boiled Linseed Oil rub only.
Some 82's were also fitted with a fake wooden magazine .