http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:43 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

HELP :oops:
What is a fair price to bid on a Siamese Mauser type 66 with bayonet and dust cover, no cleaning rod, stock in good condition with original finish with an average barrel. $200-250??? sound right. :?:
Does anyone know how the bolt matches the receiver? Is it numbered to the serial number in Arabic and/or in some Siamese Script, or did the Japanese use an assembly number. Should the bolt match the Siamese serial# script on the top of the receiver bridge??? Are the bolts even marked? Any special stock cartouches I should look for on the stock? Are the stocks marked with a small cartouch like the Arisaka stocks???

What is a Siamese bayonet worth? Did the Kowisikawa factory also make the bayonets?
Thanks for any input

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:24 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

First of all the the Model 1903 Siamese Mauser is not a Type 66 that is a common mistake gunwriters and collectors have learned over the years ... The are actually called Type 46 Long Rifles ... As soon as I finish writing my article on these you will understand as to why and to place it here woul be a SUPER LONG winded story and best explained in the article.
The Type 66 is a real weapon and is a variation of the Japanese Type 38 that re-designed to fire the 8x52Rmm Type 66 cartridge.

The bolts on these weapons are not numbered to the serial number or an assembly number as found on Japanese Arisakas ... Originally the bolt parts were marked with the last two numbers of the serial number but as these weapons were re-built numerous of times either by the Japanese or Thais they do not match anymore. As all parts of the weapons were made exactly the parts were therefore interchangeable and when they were re-assembled they were just thrown together. There has not ever been one Siamese Mauser reported with all correct matching numbers.
The stocks are marked with a cartouche underneath the pistol grip which represented the factory that made the stock ... nothing special though
As for prices $200 to $300 for one is a fair price ... Bayonets run anywhere from $70 to $150
Bayonets were most likely made at the Royal Siamese Arsenal in Bangkok not at Tokyo Artillery Arsenal
Patrick

Vive le Pinard !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfM1sFqIK0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:05 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Lebel, Thank You for the info. Very helpful. All I had for info was the Hernandez article. Do you know of any reference books, articles on these rifles. Could you please list some common sources if there are any.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:12 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

The Hernandez article was written by me ... Patrick Hernandez
Francis C. Allen wrote a small little book on these called "The Siamese Mauser ... A Study of Siamese / Thai Type 46 Rifles & Type 47 Carbines" that was published by BANZAI as a Special Project and is no longer available. I recently asked him if he was going to re-do this publication and he stated that he is in the works of doing this again ... so we shall once again have a book dedicated to this weapon. I will probably be adding the information I have to this project.
Patrick

Attachments:
File comment: Flag of Siam
th_1891.gif
th_1891.gif [ 5.45 KiB | Viewed 3797 times ]

Vive le Pinard !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:30 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

An excellent article, but some how I came out with the idea the type 46 is a carbine only. After a second read, your dealing with a former Jar Head, #-o I see type 66 refers to the cartridge and on the first page you refer to the type 46. Great use of photos. Your article and the International Ammo. Asso. photos of the cartridges from 26 Aug 07 "pbutler" are very helpful. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

As I remember and would have to check the Allan and Wakelam, Banzai Special Project No. 1, "The Siamese Mauser, A Study of Siamese/Thai Type 46 Rifles & Type 47 Carbines."

I did check, the first cartridge was, "a unique 8mm bottleneck rimmed cartridge (8 x50R)" termed the Type 46. (p. 1) At some later time many were reworked, rechambered "to accept the Type 66 8 X 52R improved cartridge" (p.13) If you look at the side of the rear sight on a Siamese Mauser if the curvature is ground down to the top of the numbers it has been modified for the T-66 cartridge.

The T-66 rifles (chambered for the T 66 cartridge) were never imported into the U.S., some did go to Canada and found their way across the border to the U.S. when regs. were not as strict as they are now. The receivers were identical to the T-38, a good, talented friend located all the parts for a T-66 except the receiver and, using a 38 receiver, and a Neumrich (sp.) stock constructed a functioning rifle. Slingblade

Should have read all of the above first.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I have got in my collection a Siamese/Thai Type 66 "Arisaka" it is one of my best shooters, super accurate especially at 500 meters. I am in the works in purchasing a Type 83 as well which will almost complete my Siamese bolt-action firearms collection.
Patrick

Vive le Pinard !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:37 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Confused.. I have had this pair for many years..are they the Type 66? they both have bayonets..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

These are not the Type 66 ... those are the Siamese/Thai Type 46 that use the 8x52Rmm Type 66 ammunition. These rifles are based upon the 1898 Mauser design.
The Type 66 is a purpose built rifle made for Siam/Thailand that looks like a Japanese Type 38 Arisaka.
Alot of confusion has risen over the years on these weapons due to the ammunition Siam/Thailand used.
There were two different calibres used the 8x50Rmm Type 45 and 8x52Rmm Type 66 and when the Type 46's were chambered to fire the 1923 cartridge, the 8x52Rmm Type 66, the older gunwriters and people called these Type 66 which is incorrect. These rifles were still called the Type 46 but just use the newer cartridge. The Siamese/Thai never changed the rifle designation due to this conversion. I know this is confusing to some, I will have to re-write an article I did on these weapons as I have learned more and more about this since I wrote it a few years ago. I will also write one on the Type 66 "Arisaka" version. Give me a few months to complete these.
Patrick

Vive le Pinard !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Thanks I had them down in my book as Type 66.. Roy (still learning)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Here is a 66 put together on a T38 action. riceone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Little confused here..what I read Type 46 value between $200 and $300 is that right?..Thanks Roy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Yes .... values of Type 46's are in that range
Patrick

Vive le Pinard !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Patrick, I bought a S11 and S23 from you in March of 2003, still got them both. The 23 has the square rod release with snap in rod and short rod hole in stock. roy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Thanks for the reply..at those prices I will just keep both of them..Make nice looking wall hangers and I have bayonets on both...guess they are not big sellers..Roy