http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:32 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I've been searching in vain for a couple of snap caps for the Japanese 6.5x50mm cartridge for the Type 38. A-Zoom apparently doesn't make them. Does anyone know if there is someone who either can make them or a company that produces them?

I was thinking that in a pinch I might be able to use a 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser snap cap as a single shot solution, will this fit and eject properly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:06 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Dunno about the 6.5x55 snap cap, but if you can just find a fired but still primed 6.5x50 case, that would work as well as a snap cap. Huntingtons sells single Norma cases for $1.00; you could prime one and pop the primer once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:55 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

hiawatha101 wrote:
Dunno about the 6.5x55 snap cap, but if you can just find a fired but still primed 6.5x50 case, that would work as well as a snap cap. Huntingtons sells single Norma cases for $1.00; you could prime one and pop the primer once.

Well I was going to buy a few boxes of ammo from Grafs or Gad Custom (http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/) to put through it, and was going to save the brass until get around to buying reloading equipment. I was thinking of using spent brass and then filling in the indention that the firing pin leaves behind on the primer with some caulk or rubber compound to give the pin some resistance when I dry fire it. But if I've got live rounds I probably won't even bother with dry firing.

BTW, I've heard generally good things about Grafs, but has anyone used Gads yet?[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:36 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

You could use a chunk of hard (or probably even soft) eraser to fill in the primer pocket.

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:00 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

You'd think that among all the primer manufacturers, one would have gotten the idea to make rubber or plastic 'dummy primers' so reloaders can make their own snap caps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:19 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Animal Mother wrote:

BTW, I've heard generally good things about Grafs, but has anyone used Gads yet?[/url]

I have reloaded both the 6.5 and 7.7 Graf Japanese brass. I much prefer the 7.7 brass.

First, the 6.5 Graff/Hornady brass is about all that is out their short of fire forming your own. The problem I have had with the 6.5 brass has to do with inconsistent size where my shell holder grips the brass. Out of say 20 rounds of ammo I would have maybe two to four rounds where the standard shell holder would seem too small for the brass. Sometimes if I try turning the brass it may slip in the shell holder, but barely. Other times I would need to set it aside and then after reloading the remaining rounds, go back and use a different size shell holder. Luckily I have lots of shell holders.

Considering that they are the only game in town, it is a small price to pay for being able to shoot a classic military firearm.

I have wondered if the shortage of 6.5 Graff brass might have something to do with either the quality control or difficulty of producing the brass.

Post subject: Good idea
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:46 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

That idea with the eraser seems good to me. I have loaded dummy rounds with a resized case and a bullet, then found a likely piece of hard rubber. I trim it to fit in the primer pocket and super glue it in. Then use a razor to cut it flush with the rear of the case. Have done that in instances where no commercial cases are available. You might even drill small holes in the side of the case, or the like, to make it obviously a dummy round. Having a bullet in the case allows it to feed into the chamber without a problem. Then it is also a function test dummy as well as a snap cap.