http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have an Arisaka that is chambered in 30- 06 . I have had this rifle for 40 years. I don't shoot the rifle much because she kicks like a mule. It is in surplus exc. cond. This is one of the most acurate rifles I ever shot. Does anyone know if any of these rifles were arsenal rebarreled by another country. I just wondered why this rifle was rechambered. Its not a sporter rifle rather in military condition.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

A lot of Arisakas had the chambers reamed to 30-06 after being brought back from WWII, as 7.7 ammo was pretty much non existent at that time. If the chrome lining is still visible at the muzzle, then it is probably still the original barrel, just rechambered (7.7-06). You could slug the bore to be sure, as 7.7 jap is about .311. If this is the case, you could reload the larger bullets in your '06 cases and probably improve your accuracy a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:01 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

It is my understanding that during the Korean war we rechambered a lot of type 99s to 30-06 for the South Korean Army

"The government, belongs to the people . Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:45 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Not an expert but those gun have markings to denote we made them. I am sure you can find it in a quick search.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I've also got a .30-06 Type 99. As near as I can tell it was a one-off conversion state-side. According to wikipedia the Korean-issue conversions have modifications to the receiver and magazine. Mine appears to be just a chamber reaming.

I haven't shot mine yet, I found it a few weeks ago but it didn't have a bolt. I've got one on the way... and then we'll see how my shoulder likes the .30-06 :).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I have one that I shoot with .311/.312, 150gr bullets in .30-06 cases loaded to M-2 specs'ish (around 2700 fps) and it is awesome, really accurate. I built it up from a loose action and some spare parts, looks like a really beat T99 SR. Never tried .308 bullets in it, the .311/.312's work so well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:24 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I have a Series 35 (Toyo Kogyo "Last Ditch") that was redone for .30-06. Accurate... more or less. The kick however is really light (in my opinion... I shoot Mosins to so maybe my opinion is tainted).

Do the rest of you with .30-06 Arisakas have very bad expansion issues with the brass coming out of your rifles? Mine come out looking really rough... none of them have even cracked yet... but the base of the casings are very blown out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

What does the marking on the rifle say? Does it say 30.06 or does it say US Cal .30? If it says US Cal 30 you have hit the jackpot.

Check out my Iraqi militaria forum at
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Iraq_militaria_forum/index.php?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:03 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

in order to "hit the jackpot" it would have to have more than just those markings on it. lots of these are faked.

post some pics of it and we can tell you for sure.

Should ever be forgot!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:28 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I think Thailand converted some Jap rifles to .30-06, some were cutdown to carbine size and the buttstock milled for a M1 carbine type oiler and sling attachment.

PS
To do a proper rechambering the barrel shank should be setback about 1/4 of an inch or more, due to the broader base of the 7.7 Jap cartridge case.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:05 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

jarjarbinks11 wrote:
in order to "hit the jackpot" it would have to have more than just those markings on it. lots of these are faked.

post some pics of it and we can tell you for sure.

I doubt these wouldve been faked 40 years ago. But you are correct in that there are more to these than just the marking (reciever notch etc).

Check out my Iraqi militaria forum at
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Iraq_militaria_forum/index.php?