http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:07 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

In my collection, I, have this rifle, i, have several Armament and military books. I, can find very little info or History, on it.
Looking at the bolt rear cocking piece, it looks German but is Dutch? Stock is marked Maastricht 1877. receiver is marked
1871. Serial # 751 w/ all matching parts. Strangely, receiver is marked 1436, on left side. Cal is unknowen. Rifle has solid
barrel bands and band springs. What is the small knurled leaver, on receiver left side for? Note the weird magazine, fixed
type? Rifle is in good gen cond but missing a cleaning rod. What would market value be on this rifle? I, would welcome more
info and comments.
Roy
Photos
Attachment:
The attachment 002.JPG is no longer available
Attachment:
002.JPG
002.JPG [ 275.82 KiB | Viewed 4785 times ]
Attachment:
006.JPG
006.JPG [ 286.81 KiB | Viewed 4785 times ]
Attachment:
009.JPG
009.JPG [ 133.51 KiB | Viewed 4785 times ]
Attachment:
011.JPG
011.JPG [ 163.32 KiB | Viewed 4785 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Additional attachment photos
Attachment:
013.JPG
013.JPG [ 160.47 KiB | Viewed 4780 times ]
Attachment:
014.JPG
014.JPG [ 134.48 KiB | Viewed 4780 times ]
Attachment:
016.JPG
016.JPG [ 254.12 KiB | Viewed 4780 times ]
Attachment:
018.JPG
018.JPG [ 243.93 KiB | Viewed 4780 times ]
Attachment:
019.JPG
019.JPG [ 273.08 KiB | Viewed 4780 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:33 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Roy,

That number 1436 is actually the serial number, where the 751 is the assy number used to keep the parts together for assy purposes. That knob you asked about is probably the magazine cut off for single shot operation, it just keeps the shells from moving upward to be picked up by the bolt. I have seen these rifles go in the range of $350.00 and upwards depending on the condition and the completeness. If you want to see what have been going for on auction check out gunbroker for completed sales, make sure there is a bid to indicate they were sold. i have one of these, I believe my assy number is 731 or something close, may have to dig it out of the safe. They are great fun to shoot, ammo is available from Gads, $40.00 for 20 rounds in PB. Be prepared for a memorable recoil.

Oh, by the way these are referrd to as the Dutch Beaumont, the ammo is often refered to as 11mm Dutch.

gg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

garra wrote:
Roy,

That number 1436 is actually the serial number, where the 751 is the assy number used to keep the parts together for assy purposes. That knob you asked about is probably the magazine cut off for single shot operation, it just keeps the shells from moving upward to be picked up by the bolt. I have seen these rifles go in the range of $350.00 and upwards depending on the condition and the completeness. If you want to see what have been going for on auction check out gunbroker for completed sales, make sure there is a bid to indicate they were sold. i have one of these, I believe my assy number is 731 or something close, may have to dig it out of the safe. They are great fun to shoot, ammo is available from Gads, $40.00 for 20 rounds in PB. Be prepared for a memorable recoil.

Oh, by the way these are referrd to as the Dutch Beaumont, the ammo is often refered to as 11mm Dutch.

gg

garra:
Thanks, for all the info and history lesson!! My rifle is in good gen cond, I, will have my gunsmith check it out. I, will then, locate some ammo and take it outto the range. As you say I, will be prepared for the recoil!!
Thanks again
Roy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

There was one for sale locally, it had no bayonet and no cleaning rod, the stock was cracked near the mag well and besides those things the rifle was in the same condition as yours from the photos.

The guy wanted $250, then wanted $300 for it, it has not sold and is now back down to $250.

To kind of give you an idea of what these rifles are not going for in what condition.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:58 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I see tons of them around here. Basically sold as wall hangers because of the obscure round it fires. Lots of people shoot them and are neat rifles. If it had the cleaning rod it would be a 200-300 dollar range. Typically they sell for around 200-225 dollars around here.

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I wish I had more funds at the time but Smith-sales in Baldwin had a Beaumont with bayonet and cleaning rod, bidding went to $250~ and stayed there.
That would have been an insanely good deal.

By locally I meant the state Airforce1, this guy was from Minneapolis and found it on Armslist.
Where are you seeing those? In a local newspaper?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:34 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Masamunect wrote:
I wish I had more funds at the time but Smith-sales in Baldwin had a Beaumont with bayonet and cleaning rod, bidding went to $250~ and stayed there.
That would have been an insanely good deal.

By locally I meant the state Airforce1, this guy was from Minneapolis and found it on Armslist.
Where are you seeing those? In a local newspaper?

I get to go to a lot of gun shows. They are there if you look hard enough.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Oh yeah, there was one, maybe two at that first gun show I ran into you at.
Forgot about those.