http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:39 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

So today I went to the range with my Gehendra and 2 of my Mosins so i'd have something else to shoot, or incase the Gahendra exploded. Sandbagged the rifle, loaded it, got 10 feet back with my string, and pulled! But nothing happened. Tried it a second time, and nothing happened. I saw the firing pin was striking the primer way too light. Then I remembered, I had played with the mainspring to adjust the trigger. So I tightened down the mainspring back to 100%, recocked, and pulled the string. BOOM! The smoke clears, I saw my bullet impact 400 yards downrange and my flaming cotton ball about 10 yards down range. Ejected the spent shell perfectly, inspected the casing, all was perfecto!

I fired the second shot with me holding the rifle this time. Boy are these Gahendra's fun!
Because these were just test rounds and were not loaded for accuracy of any kind, I loaded them quite simply, a 70 grain charge of FFg from a drop tube, half cotton ball, 3 paperwads, and the bullet seated and crimped in place at the highest groove. Recoil was mild ( as to be expected with this load), and I was surprised at how quiet the report was.
In fact this load was so mild, the crimp in the brass didn't even expand out, yet I had zero blowback or soot on the case mouths. I removed the block to inspect it for any odd signs after the 2 rounds. Everything checks out perfect!

What's next? I need to clean up the firing pin tip, as it's striking with a sharp square edge and is slightly off center. After that, a set of 577 dies, brass, more bullets, make up some quality loads, and another range report.

Weather was really nice today, 103 I think.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:35 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Gunfreak25
that's 2 of us that have fired the un cleaned version

great shooters aren't they

NORM

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM

Global Mod & Resident Smith
http://olderthendirt.proboards.com/index.cgi?
http://www.p64resource.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

You had me worried when you said it went kaboom. :lol: Kaboom is usually not a good thing. Looks like fun. I see both of your guys posts, and it almost makes me wish I had ordered one. Almost. At least until I remember the others that have been turned into lamps and such. :thumb: If they would have guaranteed me a shooter, I'd have ordered one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

kaboom normally means rifle in pieces.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:38 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

+1, glad it went Kaboom in a good way. How did you manage to get the whole range to yourself? The range up here is always crowded and there's always some guy shooting his .500 ++P++ super magnum right next to me with the brass flying in my face.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:09 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I envy you guys with the skillz and guts to take one of those rifles and get it shooting again.

I salute you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Quote:
How did you manage to get the whole range to yourself?

Would you want to stand next to him as he fired his first couple of shots out of that thing (no offense gunfreak, but some of the ones that showed up weren't exactly up to par for the range). :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll bet there's 50 people cowering behind sandbags just out of the frame.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

When it's 3PM in the afternoon on a Friday and it's 103 outside, it's very common my pops and I are the only shooters at the entire range. :lol:

I thought the KABOOM!! title would get some attention. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

You must like to shoot a lot more than I do because if it's 103 here in "Jersey" I don't even unlock the gun safe!!!!! :lol: Congrats on getting an old war horse up and running again.

Kilbo

Ps. Everytime I read your posts I'm still amazed by your talent with firearms at your age. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:20 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Great glad it works for you :thumb:

The KABOOM got my attention and had me worried.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Congrats on shooting it. I need to get my MH out to the range.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:53 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

You are one dedicated collector. Congrats on seeing your project thru and then the final with a range report...well a Kaboom! report. 103....but it's a dry heat.....like in a microwave...you kind of cook from the inside out but not much sweat! :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:32 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Very dry, I think the humidity yesterday was less than 9%. I'd rather live in the heat than the cold though, the cold hurts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:18 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Aw shucks. Ya beat me. Haha I wanted to get mine to fire before yours. But I slacked. I'm glad urs didn't go kaboom in the bad way. I saw the title and was lie OH NO!!! but alas your safe. Hah!

Well it's usually 90 something around here with enough humidity to make you feel like your swimming. Boy do I hate it.

Not remembering anything between the time of purchase till sitting at home with the weapon in hand,
a mad female,
and an influx of ammo purchases.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:33 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

As others have said, You should have said it went BANG not KABOOM!.

Good on ya.

Now heres a tip from a guy that gets paid to work in very hot places.
It is much easier to get warm then to cool off, and anything about 70f is way too hot for human habitation!

I do understand about the humidity. 9% at 103f is actually quite nice in the shade.

It feels much cooler then 75 and 90%+ humidity anytime.

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005