http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ex-PEM Sniper Project
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:36 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

PEM Sniper Restoration Project

I picked up an ex-PEM sniper rifle a few years back and I’ve always wanted to return it to sniper status but the repro mounts cost more than I wanted to spend. I built a cantilever mount that attaches to the rear sight base and had the bolt bent for clearance. The mount works well but wasn’t attractive. I looked on eBay for a couple of years and finally snagged a deal on a PEM repro mount.

Drilling and tapping was no more difficult than when I restored my PU sniper. Same two 6mm screws and 2 pins but they were further forward. For details on drilling and tapping see these links for my other sniper projects.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21225

viewtopic.php?f=185&t=41704

With that said let me add that I HATE drilling welded steel. The welding tempers the metal to diamond hard levels that dulls a drill bit in short order. I discovered a new trick that helped a lot. After dulling the drill bit I decided to try an end mill cutter bit. It was amazing. It cut through the welds in seconds. The only problem was that the bit I had was too small, so I used it to drill pilot holes and used the 5.3mm drill bit to open them up to proper size.

I managed to get the hole centered through the old screw. I tapped the hole and screwed on the mount, using it as a template. I drilled right through the holes in the mount and into the receiver. The mount also makes it easier to tap the holes as it keeps the tap from going in at an angle.

I prefer a scope with higher magnification than the PE or PEM repro scopes provide so I opted to use a blued steel Weaver V9 made in the 60’s. The rings are 1mm larger than the 1” scope tube so I used tin snips to cut spacer shims from the top of an old ammo spam can, sanded off the paint, and blued them with cold blue. If I find a repro PE or PEM scope for a good price I’ll pull the trigger but for now I’ll stick with the Weaver 9 power.

The project took a full weekend to complete, most of that being drill time. I sanded the barrel channel in the fore-end and I made steel shims to align the receiver in the stock. The barrel is full floating. After tuning the action screws the rifle shoots great. I tighten the lug as much as possible with a screw driver and just snug the tang screw, then I tighten and loosen a couple of degrees until I find the sweet spot. This trick can take a 5" group down to 1". My best group was MOA with Czech LB ammo so I’m pretty happy with the results.

Attachments:
photo 024.jpg
photo 024.jpg [ 2.58 MiB | Viewed 3108 times ]
photo 037.jpg
photo 037.jpg [ 2.6 MiB | Viewed 3108 times ]
photo 028.jpg
photo 028.jpg [ 2.62 MiB | Viewed 3108 times ]
photo 006.jpg
photo 006.jpg [ 2.72 MiB | Viewed 3108 times ]
photo 002.jpg
photo 002.jpg [ 3.99 MiB | Viewed 3108 times ]

Last edited by Dorian_Grey on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:57 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Note the shims in the lug and tang areas, and in the photos above you can clearly see the welded screws and the "CN" stamped on top of the barrel.

Attachments:
photo 040.jpg
photo 040.jpg [ 3.27 MiB | Viewed 3101 times ]
photo 042.jpg
photo 042.jpg [ 2.66 MiB | Viewed 3101 times ]
photo 039.jpg
photo 039.jpg [ 3.55 MiB | Viewed 3101 times ]
2012-10-13 PEM.JPG
2012-10-13 PEM.JPG [ 626.61 KiB | Viewed 3101 times ]
photo 018.jpg
photo 018.jpg [ 3.06 MiB | Viewed 3101 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:08 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Good write-up on your project. I am also thinking about working up an ex-PE/PEM Mosin, have just begun collecting the "data" before I start collecting the gun parts. Like the Weaver scope!

Question: did the stock come along with the barreled receiver, or did you locate that separately?

Adam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:19 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Thanks for the kind words. The rifle was imported with the stock repair. The stock is late war so it was originally on a PU sniper. I cut the relief to allow removal of the PEM mount and applied garnet shellac to the area. It was a perfect match.

Regards,
DG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:45 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Dorian_Grey wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. The rifle was imported with the stock repair. The stock is late war so it was originally on a PU sniper. I cut the relief to allow removal of the PEM mount and applied garnet shellac to the area. It was a perfect match.

Regards,
DG

Yes, that worked out really well. Made the end result that much more authentic in appearance.

While I admire your metal fabrication skills, I bet you are glad to have swapped your McGyver cantilever PU mount for the repro GECO setup. For a moment there, your M91/30 looked like it took a step into Blade Runner or Outlands!

Adam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:43 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

indeed I am. I had a guy at the range say "That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen". Not that I care what others think as long as it works, but I love the unique look of the PEM. I've never seen one at any shooting range. I'll eventually get a PE or PEM scope for it.

DG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Man where have you been? I haven't seen you post on the forum for ages. Good to see you're still around.

Now, as someone who shares your dislike of drilling through welds, what exactly is an "end mill cutter bit?'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:17 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Hey TJ,
I haven't been on the boards much. Been busy with work and I've collected about everything I wanted. And to think back in January of 2006 I didn't know what cosmoline was. I figured I'd post my PEM project since they are a lot less common than PU's and PE's. I'm glad I'm still welcome around here.

This is an end mill cutter bit...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CP ... 01_s00_i00

I bought this very one and need to test it on some scrap steel to make sure its the right size for 6mm screws and pins. I've got 4 or 5 ex-PU snipers that are still in boxes. I was thinking about restoring another one since I have a PU scope that's not in use.

Have a great weekend,
DG

Attachments:
41lUh0fkGiL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
41lUh0fkGiL__SL500_AA300_.jpg [ 8.91 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:47 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I'm with turkey joe--have missed your posts, and especially info on your projects.
Welcome back!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:58 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Well, aw shucks... nice to be wanted. :D