http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Yeah...most .22's have a 3/8" dovetail ....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:54 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I put the S & K ring mount on my M44 after doing a few receive and barrel bedding improvements. The M44 at least mine doesn't have a dovetail mount the rear sight is part of a barrel band that is pinned to the barrel.

My first five shot group after instillation.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Got kind of an oddball myself...my 91/30's rear sight has only one mounting pin (which came out easily) Some investigation
shows this as similar to the sight on an M44. Going to try applying some heat in the hopes I can free up the base.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

On the 9130 dovetail, keep in mind that most dovetail rings will slide under the heavy recoil. I used an offset mount that has a full length dovetail and integrated rings. This one would drift under recoil too, until I notched it and used one of the original sight pins to hold it in position. Seems to be working fine now.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

TheSarge wrote:
Yeah all mine retain the original straight bolt. Tap out the one pin the site blade hinges on and take off the sight blade. You'll see a set screw. Drill it out . Don't go through the barrel :) It is soft metal and is no issue at all. I use a 3/16" drill bit. Take a nail starter and get the two remaining pins out of the base. Get 'em started with the nail starter then knock 'em on through with a punch. Some come with a little Russian flavored silver solder. No big deal...just put a little heat on em (you don't need nor want glowing red).....then just tap the sight base off towards the muzzle. I have done dozens this way. We use a inexpensive NC Star pistol scope. They hold zero very well and work really good. The added bonus is the lighted rectile for low light hog murdering.

On this internet you see these youtube video's of guys doing this. Some make it look like it is way more difficult than it really is. Maybe 20-30 minutes. A $2.00 nail starter and a punch from Home Depot. A brass hammer or a regular hammer with a rag tied around it. For heat (if needed) I have done it with a cheap Propane torch....but I have Oxygen/Acetylene tanks I usually use. Again....you dont need all that much heat to get it started.

Clean her up with a file or wire brush and slap some medium or high 3/8" sight mounts on there.

Hey Sarge. I have a set of the NC Star 3/8" dovetail rings and I have been hesitant on putting them on because I am unsure of their stability. The dovetail on the rear sight isnt all that long so I am concerned about how rigid these rings will be since they will be fairly close together. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

TheSarge wrote:
I see now where folks get misinformation. There is a guy on YouTube who does this. In his film you can clearly see the set screw and he ignores it. Of course the sight won't budge so he gets the entire thing glowing red and just knocks the bejezzuz out of it to get it to budge. Oh well.

I think I know who you speak of. And wow, he had that sucker glowing red!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:03 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

mosinaddict wrote:
On the 9130 dovetail, keep in mind that most dovetail rings will slide under the heavy recoil. I used an offset mount that has a full length dovetail and integrated rings. This one would drift under recoil too, until I notched it and used one of the original sight pins to hold it in position. Seems to be working fine now.

This.

The one thing I don't like about the setup using the 3/8" dovetail is that there is no backup if the 'scope should fail.

In my mind, this is acceptable on a precision rifle dedicated to long-range shooting, which would not be able to be used to fulfill its role should the 'scope fail -- the target would be beyond effective iron-sight range.

However, my Mosin is a working rifle. When and if I mount a 'scope it's more for target identification than anything. If the 'scope loses zero I can fall back to the iron sights.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Regards,

Josh

- Adjustable Sights for the Mosin-Nagant -

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:57 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

For a Mosin Rock Solid scope mounts are hard to beat .
http://www.rocksolidind.com/mosin-nagant.html

SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:09 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

singleshotcajun wrote:
For a Mosin Rock Solid scope mounts are hard to beat .
http://www.rocksolidind.com/mosin-nagant.html

The Rock Solid was the choice I was going to go with, but finally decided on the Jmeck. Contrary to the diving board opinions, I would like to say the Jmeck mount stays put. It's as rock solid as anything.

I am new here guys but wanted to put my two cents in. I think Jmeck is a quality mount. Prof

Attachments:
File comment: 1944 Izzy M44 ATI stock Max Shepard bolt AK74 muzzle brake Jmeck mount sportchief scope
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG [ 154.14 KiB | Viewed 792 times ]