http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:30 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

This is a basic accurizing kit for the Mosin-Nagant.

Quote:
This is the first basic accurizing kit and will work for the majority of the Russian and Chinese Mosin-Nagant rifles and carbines out there.

Included:

•1 front and 1 rear shim. These are thick and eliminate random pressure points in the stock bedding.

•1 recoil lug shim. This keeps your Mosin's action tight against the recoil lug in its stock, providing repeatability shot-to-shot. An added benefit is that the screws don't absorb the recoil and so stay tight.

•One barrel pressure pad. Taming barrel harmonics is essential to precision and accuracy.

•Instructions are included.

The tang shim is smaller than is usually seen, and the shims that should be steel, are, with the recoil lug shim being brass.

The pressure point is thin, oiled gasket stock, but I may change this to slightly thicker cork gasket. The fiber gasket just holds oil better and should work for the majority of people.

What do you think?

Regards,

Josh

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I'd give it a "shot"...pun intended.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:03 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Timely post. Nice idea. Add a slack take up spring.

Marc

Mausers: Swede M96x2, CG63E, Israeli K98, SKS: Tula+Type 56, M/N 91/30 Izhevsk X 3, Tokarev T33+SVT40, EnfieldIshapore no1mk3*, ShtLE mk3*, Long Branch, P14, Swiss K31 US Svc Rifle IHC M1 Garand .308, M1A clone

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

samsplacci wrote:

Marc

Hi Marc,

C&R Surplus are the spring makers. I love Clyde's stuff!

The optimal trigger setup is an M39-style trigger with rear bearing and front static pin; combine this with a Finnish sear.

Add one of Clyde's slack springs (only adds a couple ounces to the pull) and you have a winner!

My rifle has this setup; I did a lot of experimentation to get here! The first stage is about 1.5 to 2lbs and the second stage breaks very crisply at about 3lbs.

Sear engagement does NOT suffer.

I've sent out a few of these kits as gifts, but I'm scared to death of getting sued so I don't offer them for general sale. I'd likely send one to a gunsmith, but for now it's only folks I've talked with a while. If they have the apparent mechanical aptitude to make the final fitting on their respective Mosins, then I send as a gift.

I really wish I could sell them, though, comfortably. Even with the rough fit -- they way they come -- they're light years ahead of anything else out there if you prefer two-stage triggers.

I hate liability. It's gotten out of control. Shoot someone due to irresponsible handling? It must be the fault of the gun or manufacturer.

Funny, I've put drill bits through my hand and cut myself with knives. Never occurred to me to sue Ka-Bar or Precision Twist...

Sorry. I'm just not happy about this! I make the best stuff I can, and when I can't make it public, it irritates me. I like to do the best I can by my customers.

Regards,

Josh

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:30 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Joshua M. Smith wrote:
samsplacci wrote:

Marc

Hi Marc,

C&R Surplus are the spring makers. I love Clyde's stuff!

The optimal trigger setup is an M39-style trigger with rear bearing and front static pin; combine this with a Finnish sear.

Add one of Clyde's slack springs (only adds a couple ounces to the pull) and you have a winner!

My rifle has this setup; I did a lot of experimentation to get here! The first stage is about 1.5 to 2lbs and the second stage breaks very crisply at about 3lbs.

Sear engagement does NOT suffer.

I've sent out a few of these kits as gifts, but I'm scared to death of getting sued so I don't offer them for general sale. I'd likely send one to a gunsmith, but for now it's only folks I've talked with a while. If they have the apparent mechanical aptitude to make the final fitting on their respective Mosins, then I send as a gift.

I really wish I could sell them, though, comfortably. Even with the rough fit -- they way they come -- they're light years ahead of anything else out there if you prefer two-stage triggers.

I hate liability. It's gotten out of control. Shoot someone due to irresponsible handling? It must be the fault of the gun or manufacturer.

Funny, I've put drill bits through my hand and cut myself with knives. Never occurred to me to sue Ka-Bar or Precision Twist...

Sorry. I'm just not happy about this! I make the best stuff I can, and when I can't make it public, it irritates me. I like to do the best I can by my customers.

Regards,

Josh

That setup does sound like a thing of true beauty (both the trigger and the accurizing kit).

For a spring though, I'm sure you've seen the cheap shim/spring jobs on youtube and such. Should you choose that route, I could see "added value" in that.

I would go with the cork, by the way.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:56 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Perhaps you could sell the instructions for assembling your own kit.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:26 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Your concept is sound. Unfortunately the US of A is not only the home of the brave, land of the free but also the land of litigation. Being Canadian, we're not as litigious. I suppose there is a degree of risk in anything. Your idea, your product, you have the final say. IMO the risk is minimal. Have a detailed instruction sheet with a disclaimer. There are a few variables you'll never be able to control. I also think you have a winner! Cheers, Marc

Mausers: Swede M96x2, CG63E, Israeli K98, SKS: Tula+Type 56, M/N 91/30 Izhevsk X 3, Tokarev T33+SVT40, EnfieldIshapore no1mk3*, ShtLE mk3*, Long Branch, P14, Swiss K31 US Svc Rifle IHC M1 Garand .308, M1A clone

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:26 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

LilysDad wrote:

Hello,

The instructions come with it. It's not overly complex.

Regards,

Josh

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:39 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Just buy an adjustable timney mosin trigger.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Joshua M. Smith wrote:
LilysDad wrote:

Hello,

Regards,

Josh

Nnnnno, I meant how to make/purchase the things in the kit. That way if they screw it up, the liability is on them.

If you decide to sell them, let us know. I'm told I'm getting an MN for Christmas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

LilysDad wrote:
Joshua M. Smith wrote:
LilysDad wrote:

Hello,

Regards,

Josh

Nnnnno, I meant how to make/purchase the things in the kit. That way if they screw it up, the liability is on them.

This. I got the trigger spring, it works great. It isn't easy to find shims, for example.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:27 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

LilysDad wrote:
Joshua M. Smith wrote:
LilysDad wrote:

Hello,

Regards,

Josh

If you decide to sell them, let us know. I'm told I'm getting an MN for Christmas.

Oooooh... I'm dense!

:D

Josh