91/59 Questions

1891, 91/30, M38, M44, 91/59, P-series, M27, M28, M28-30 and M39
jaytex1969

91/59 Questions

Post by jaytex1969 »

Being offered locally is a 1943 Mosin 91/59.

From the few pics offered, it looks "decent".

I've already emailed to ask about numbers, counter-bore and bore condition. Seller took it in trade and does not shoot this caliber, so I did not ask about head space. I have Okie gauges to bring with me, if we get that far.

Please take a peek and give me your gut instinct on a fair value and offer any model specific insights in what I should look for.

Thanks.

Jay
mosinone.jpg
mosintwo.jpg
mosinthree.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic

Re: 91/59 Questions

Post by 72 usmc »

Well not my type, I'd rather have an M44 or M38 in an original stock (Tula). An M44 from some other country like Polish or Hungarian would be nicer. But if you can grab it at $200-250 take it. I never found a rebuilt Mosin that has an import mark that failed a field gauge. The concern to me would be if it goes at value $300 , then is the rifle a counter bored example? Its an odd ball dog and if counterbored, its a farm rifle to me. I never liked that modification. Most of those I saw in the early days at Dunhams had counterbores on the mongrel dogs. I hate counter bores unless you can get it at $150-175. In Peterson's new 2020 price guide they are listed at VG $375, good at $250. Check the bolt for re stamp, line out, or electro pencil.

From what I see, the stock is good and correct-check for cartouches. Seems to have it's original finish and comes with a cloth sling. So it's bore condition and counter bore that are factors. The bolt most likely matches and it has stamped markings I would bet. Seems to be a $129 rifle that sat in a box for the last 15-18 years. Double the money at $250 and that should be fair to both of you. Each gets/ gives a little. At a gun show you should be able to find a M44 or M91/59 at $300-325 easy. From a dealer or pawn shop the owner would be lucky to get $150-175. My 2 cents :lol: :lol: Originally they came in the Century box with a sling and ammo pouch-no bayonet. Check the century code on the old box "Excellent or just Very Good" The very good Century ones had counterbores. Be sure the import mark is on the barrel, not a later one with an import mark as a billboard on the receiver

:idea: :idea: So if the rifle is not counterbored, and has the small import mark on the barrel, original stock finish :arrow: :shhh: IT IS A WINNER. You may want to consider book value if it is something you really want.

there is no bayonet to add weight and they will reach out easy to 200 yards. You can never go wrong with a Mosin :shifty:

You do realize these carbines really bark and shoot out fire balls--not pleasant to target shoot with. You know you fired it after 50 rounds??? :doh: :snooty: Maybe I am getting old. At dusk, They are a hoot to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LViH1jL7hzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V79rYR-3N8I

A down right, stupid is as stupid does price... unreal
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 3.18.20 PM.png
More like the going market...
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 3.18.53 PM.png
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

Thanks for all the info, 72.

I've not heard back from the seller, so this may be an academic exercise for now.

Happy Independence Day!

Jay

dynachrome

Post by dynachrome »

$250 would be a solid price. I have one that is based on a1943 Izvesk. The bore was excellent, didn't even look fired. It is about the only Mosin I have that will chamber the Czech 44 gr. practice ammo reliably without a little help. That Czech ammo has almost zero recoil and makes any Mosin a pleasure to shoot. Sgammo also has crates of it

https://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus- ... ammo-762-r
"When an empire dies, you are left with large monuments in front of which illiterate peasants squat to defecate"

dynachrome

Post by dynachrome »

Whoops they are out of stock on individual boxes, but have crates of 912 for $300
"When an empire dies, you are left with large monuments in front of which illiterate peasants squat to defecate"

Return to “Russian and Finnish Rifles”