Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

The Truth About Finn Matching

1891, 91/30, M38, M44, 91/59, P-series, M27, M28, M28-30 and M39
capt14k
United States of America

The Truth About Finn Matching

#1 Post by capt14k » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:28 am

I have been studying Finnish Rifles and Bayonets for some time now and I can say definitively that the Finns matched more than just the bolt. I'm not sure how a bolt matching rifle became acceptable as an all matching rifle. IMO if the Rifle isn't matching as it left the factory (or original Arsenal) it is not matching. Only with Finnish Rifles is bolt matching considered all matching. No one would call a German K98k with a mismatched floor plate matching, but with Finns they do.

I think the reasons Finn Matching is so loosely applied are:

One the Finns re-numbered Russian parts. Many will call this Force Matched. IMO it is not when it pertains to a Finnish Model. Finnish Capture is a different story.

Two the Finns changed over time what they felt was important to match and what was not.

Three so many Finnish Rifles have been part swapped and Re finished here in the States by Importers and others. Since many only thought the bolt matching mattered the other parts were paid little attention to.

In my research the following parts should match on the following rifles.

M/28 and M/28-30 barrel, bolt (last 4), and butt plate (last 2).

M/39 All Makers Barrel, Bolt (last 4), and Magazine (last 4). Butt Plate should have no numbers.

It seems the magazine was not matched til the M/39. I own an example of each M/39 maker Sako, VKT, and Sky that are all matching.

It also seems that sometimes the Finns matched the receiver as well on all models. To me this is slightly more desirable, because it looks better than the dot matrix.

On the early Civil Guard Rifles I have noticed that the Civil Guard District Number is sometimes stamped on the bolt body. I have not seen enough to make a determination when this stamping began and ended.

Lastly I have owned a couple later M/28-30 Rifles (1938-1940) that have the last 3 numbers stamped on the stock. I currently have a 1939 M/28-30 that I am going to be putting up for sale that is matching barrel, receiver, bolt, butt plate, and stock. I haven't observed enough stock stamped rifles to make an statement about them.

As for the M/27, Tikka 91/30, M/91, and M/24 I don't have enough data to say what was originally matched. My focus was on the M/28, M/28-30, and M/39.

Hopefully as time goes on Finnish Collectors vet rifles more. Thus leading to a premium for truly matching and original rifles. Also that bolt match only and refinished rifles are questioned in the future, and not just assumed it was done at Finnish Re-Arsenal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Return to “Russian and Finnish Rifles”