http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:26 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hello everyone! I recently came across the opportunity to purchase a VZ 24 in 7x57 except it's missing the bolt, floor plate, and some other small parts. Does anyone know a good place to find these parts? Also what other, if any, mausers are compatible? Thanks a lot for helping me out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:30 am 

The Czech VZ-24 is a standard length, large ring '98 Mauser and all standard Mauser parts should interchange. The GEW-98, K-98, Turk M-38, Czech 98/22, the Persian, South American, Chinese, Israeli, and many more '98 pattern Mausers.

Start with Numrich. They're a little pricey, but usually have most of the parts in stock. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Pro ... catid=4234

Gunbroker and Auction Arms are two other places you can usually pick up bits and pieces: http://www.gunbroker.com/ http://www.gunauction.com/

Probably some others will come up with a few more online sources.

I probably have a few bolt bodies and a couple of small parts like a main spring, trigger, safety, and cocking piece that'll fit. Some things like firing pins and extractors aren't as common as others because they break or are damaged more frequently.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:43 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Try LibertyTreeCollectors and E-Sarcoinc. The quality of machining is such that any German or Czech bolt should interchange, but have the headspace checked anyway just in case the lugs got set back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:48 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Thanks guys that answers my question. Now i just need to locate everything!

looks like a bolt will run be anywhere from 70-80+ dollars, plus other little parts, the rifle itself (fair to good condition) will run me a total of around 230. How much are they running for at other sites?

This rifle does have the crest though without an original bolt and having to get new parts it's not as collectable, though maybe a bit cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:24 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Doesn't seem worth it to me. However, it may be worth it as a project gun to hunt for the parts on the cheap at gun shows.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Ken i agree. It seemed like a good idea at first but after tallying everything up it just doesn't seem worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

SOG - Southern Ohio Gun - has those VZs in 7x57 WITH bolts and all parts for $159
http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns ... fle-1.html
a MUCH BETTER deal than the opportunity you came across! :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:04 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

what kind of condition are the bore from SOG? i need to get them my C&R real soon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

The price 70-80 is about right for a complete bolt "commercially". But better deas are to be had through fix its, bargain bits at gun shows, trades, "what I need" here at the forum etc.

Follow the bargain, sometimes it takes a week, some times a month or more. Trades are faster if you have what they want.

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:30 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

errata wrote:
what kind of condition are the bore from SOG? i need to get them my C&R real soon.

I haven't seen one, and don't suspect the bores are anything to write home about -- you might want to search the forum here for any posts about it - or post a question in this section to see if anyone pulled the trigger on one.
These two guys did - and got decent enough (dark) bores -
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=114466

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:03 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Thanks todd, i also just watch a youtube video from someone that recieved a SOG one. I just got one from Gunbroker for a little bit cheaper. The guy said the bore was fair, but i get the sense from our conversation that he only did the minimum amount of cleaning. So we'll see what happens. I'll post before and after pics here.