http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: czech "k98"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

All else fail, a small piece of clay or anything that smuches into a small ball on the back of a piece of brass, close the bolt and see how thin the material is. Others have used a layer or two of tape.

Use a known good rifle for reference if you are worried or to see the thinness.

NO this is not recommended before all the purists and politically correct garage gunsmiths, and real gunsmiths start yelling and this gets spread to other boards out of context. It's only to GIVE an idea if you need to take it to the emergency room or not.

Caution, if you are not experienced with milsurps, cleaning, and checking them out, there is no substitute for a good gunsmith but beware they might not have head space gauges for your beloved milsurps odd caliber.

Ed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

EdHoffer wrote:
All else fail, a small piece of clay or anything that smuches into a small ball on the back of a piece of brass, close the bolt and see how thin the material is. Others have used a layer or two of tape.

Use a known good rifle for reference if you are worried or to see the thinness.

NO this is not recommended before all the purists and politically correct garage gunsmiths, and real gunsmiths start yelling and this gets spread to other boards out of context. It's only to GIVE an idea if you need to take it to the emergency room or not.

Caution, if you are not experienced with milsurps, cleaning, and checking them out, there is no substitute for a good gunsmith but beware they might not have head space gauges for your beloved milsurps odd caliber.

Ed

Good advise.
I would add that if the bolt is original and serial # matching , with a bore that passes the bullet test and the bore is visibly in good condition with no visible rust or debris in the grooves the risk would be very small indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Just got the rifle home, I will post pictures under a new title when I get the chance after work.

It's got "dou" on the receiver, so apparently it's czech. all crests have been ground off, although it's sprinkled with the tiny nazi eagle proof stamps. I am thinking it's an RC for the following reasons, feel free to correct me:

The bolt has been "re-serialed" with an electro-pencil to match the reciever number. The reciever number has also been stamped on the left of the butt stock.

Although the sight hood is still there (could've been added by anyone I'm thinking) the cleaning rod and capture screw are gone.

its got the shellac that everyone hates, but I couldn't care less about as long as it's not chipping off...

Only thing is, I find no "x" on the receiver as I hear I am supposed to with a russian capture.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:52 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

sardines wrote:
Just got the rifle home, I will post pictures under a new title when I get the chance after work.

It's got "dou" on the receiver, so apparently it's czech. all crests have been ground off, although it's sprinkled with the tiny nazi eagle proof stamps. I am thinking it's an RC for the following reasons, feel free to correct me:

The bolt has been "re-serialed" with an electro-pencil to match the reciever number. The reciever number has also been stamped on the left of the butt stock.

Although the sight hood is still there (could've been added by anyone I'm thinking) the cleaning rod and capture screw are gone.

its got the shellac that everyone hates, but I couldn't care less about as long as it's not chipping off...

Only thing is, I find no "x" on the receiver as I hear I am supposed to with a russian capture.

The RC's may have X'ed out numbers or they may not. The shellack is one indication of being a RC. It's very easy to remove and than do a blo bath to the stock.

Cleaning rods and capture screws abound on evil bay, take your time and you can get a good buy. $10 cleaning rod not $23.

If you come here often please donate to keep this place alive.