http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:08 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Recently bought a VZ24 with Lion crest. Per the receiver, I believe it was made in 1938 at the Povaska Bystrica factory.
Attachment:
crest.jpg
crest.jpg [ 2.08 MiB | Viewed 4467 times ]

Attachment:
receiver.jpg
receiver.jpg [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 4467 times ]

The bore was very good so I decided to pick this up.

The bolt is a bit of a mystery to me. Not sure of the finish. Only the sleeve looks "correct".
Attachment:
bolt.jpg
bolt.jpg [ 2.03 MiB | Viewed 4467 times ]

There is no circle z on the body anywhere, only this number 7.
Attachment:
body.jpg
body.jpg [ 1.74 MiB | Viewed 4467 times ]

Sleeve has circle z but I'm not sure what the "U" represents.
Attachment:
sleeve.jpg
sleeve.jpg [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 4467 times ]

No circle z on the firing pin, but a 4 digit number. Not sure if czech firing pins had serial numbers. Either way, the number is not matching.

I believe this is a mixmaster bolt. Wondering if anyone would have any thoughts on the origin of the parts and if this could have been done at the arsenal during refurb or if this was put together much later from spare parts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:04 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Thanks Bill but there isn't a serial number on the arm and no obvious grind marks to indicate there was one. Only thing on the body is that number 7.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:19 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

That is the correct straight bolt, but its black color is odd. Or is all the metal that patina? That can be corrected easily since the bolt does not match. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: To be on the safe side ------ :? Headspace that rifle to be sure it passes a field Mauser gauge.
here is the old post on my VZ 24 dog that failed the test:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94787&hilit=vz+24+rifle+czech+mauser

What gauge to use, see this old post: (20 degree Field ):
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=107628&hilit=+headspace+a+mauser
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=80383&hilit=+mauser+headspace

Gauge??? see this info :
http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=29519

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:23 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Thanks 72 usmc. I tested with a field gauge before purchase and no headspace issues.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I guess at this point I'm just curious if anyone believes the bolt body was originally made at the Brno or Bystrica factory and later refinished, or is this from another 98 Mauser type. Again, the only mark is that 7 with the hash through it. I've read that some VZ24's put into German service had the bolts blued but I don't see any German marks and the matching stock's side swivel is still there and not plugged.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:17 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I just remembered that AIM has Russian captured VZ 24s that are that dark black Mosin like blue.
see http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3MausVZ24
is your bolt from one of those.???? GEW 98 bolts have some sort of imperial marks, 98/22 rifles can have ones just with Czech circle z marks or serial numbers, and some of my Vz 24s have just numbers lacking other codes. I will have to look at a few to remember.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I have one from RGuns which I believe is what AIM currently has. The finish is completely different.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:41 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Quote:
Receiver Ring Crest was partially or completely removed during the Russian Post War refurb process.

Sorry, Aims description is miss leading then ... no mention of Romanian referb. I have seen only one at a gun show and they appear as new redone pretty junk, no real charm, or character and new miss matched wood. :doh: I like the aged beaters. :shhh: :shifty:
I guess then why is that bolt so dark??? gungrabistan citizen is that bolt blued or parkerized in some manner? Or is it just a dark photo? On my four, the bolts are more silver grey patina looking.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I suppose it could be parkerized. The body and the cocking piece have the same finish. The safety is almost mirror bright with blue and purple. Almost looks case hardened. Only the sleeve is correct with the circle z and it has the finish you describe. That is the same finish on the bolt of my 98/22.

At least the headspace is good. I will keep and eye out for a replacement bolt if I can find one at a good price.