http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I am looking at replacing my Yugo Mauser and have located a nice looking Czech for $300 locally. 100% bluing, a couple of re[airs on upper hand stock. Would appreciate any help in what I should look for or at with a Czech? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:32 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

It sounds like your looking at an Romainian refurb. If it is scrubbed,it probably is. Check the bore out very well. I made the mistake of picking out a pretty one and now it is a wall hanger. Even after a good recrowning....Larry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:20 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

On a VZ 24 a crest is always nice, Cleaning rods are missing but Libertytreecollectors have them. Most important is the barrel, as stated they range from sewer pipe to mint. #-o #-o
You most likely will have a mismatched bolt and that is a Mauser, like a Turk that you must check the headspace on. More that a few fail on a FIELD gauge. Check the feel of the bolt and be sure it locks and slides as smooth as can be. No gritty feel or rough feel. Check the bolts extractor for chips. Check the chamber for beat & dinged edges or pits /rought side walls--- it should be mirror bright. Most of the junk VZ 24 rifles have missmatched color to the handguard, arsenal refinish wood and scrubbed crests. If you find a VZ 24 with a matching bolt and crest, even with a fair bore ---BUY IT.
If you find one with an original sling, BUY IT just for the sling.
I love the odd balls---see Persian vz 24 viewtopic.php?f=29&p=1045296#p1045296
another chinese viewtopic.php?f=21&t=117790&hilit=+vz+24+chinese+stock

Chinese VZ24 bad headspace viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94787&hilit=+chinese+vz+24
The Rampant Lion Czech crest intact is a plus: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=40557

And the Romanian crest is very hard to find.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:45 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

The VZ24 is a good version, and the price is close enough. Very smooth action, the best I think. Nice trigger on mine.

CDFingers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I took a look at the bore and it looked like it had good rifling, maybe slightly dark. I would have thought that a store would have to make sure the rifle is safe to fire regarding the headspace. I thought headspace issues would only occur if you had to replace the bolt or barrel. Without having any gaugesm how would one know if the rifle is safe to fire, regarding headspace?

Just looked at aimsurplus.com website back when they were selling these, and the one I am looking at looks just like them.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3MausVZ24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:42 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nope, they all got small print that indicates you should take it to a qualified gunsmith to check it out. :lol:

Buy a gauge it will be the best cash spent. A FIELD gauge will work on the old mausers.

If its a redone shooter VZ 24, Russian Post War refurb , its built like new and will headspace. Kind of like the Mosins, its a new rebuilt rifle also like the RC mauser. Those are set up & headspace. But you do not have an original VZ24; :clap: its a mixmaster rebuild fine for shooting. :shifty: No old world charm , stock & metal is redone like new at Russian factories.
You see these at gun shows, a dead give away is that hand guard is new wood that does not match the color of the lower stock and metal is blued a mosin black. It will have a Ground crest :snooty: . Barels and there condition do vary just as seen in Russian rebuilt Mausers. So check them out with a muzzle gauge and bore light. But it will headspace. You need a FIELD gauge if you mess with the original surplus stuff. In WI these Russian rebuilt VZ 24s sell for $300 -375.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:31 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

I've had a couple of the RC vz24s. Put a BrenShok scout mount and Leatherwood Hi-Lux LER scope and killed feral hogs with them. Great shooters, dark bores with strong rifling. The first was a gunbroker purchase; I replaced it with one from AIM. Stiffer trigger than on my Yugo 24/47.

--Prof

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:48 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

If you are looking for a shooter - a Yugo refurbished vz24 - 24/52c - might be the ticket.
http://www.samcoglobal.com/1-M24-52C.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:41 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Well, went back to local gun shop and looked the Czech over again, along with a Yugo 24/47 with a bent bolt. Went ahead with the Czech. The rifling looked as good on the Czech and the stock was much better than the Yugo, however the upper hand guard is not nearly as nice as rest of stock. The Yugo's bolt was very stiff opening and closing. Although could be worked out, just didn't want to take the chance. However, may get it after I get the Czech if they still have it.

Attachments:
20141224_102004.jpg
20141224_102004.jpg [ 3.12 MiB | Viewed 4600 times ]
20141224_101959.jpg
20141224_101959.jpg [ 3.34 MiB | Viewed 4600 times ]
20141224_101846.jpg
20141224_101846.jpg [ 3.18 MiB | Viewed 4600 times ]
20141224_101844.jpg
20141224_101844.jpg [ 3.72 MiB | Viewed 4600 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:04 am 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Looks nice. :thumb: Let us know how she shoots!

--Prof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:12 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Is there a crest on that one? I can not make it out in the photo, or is it a partial crest? These are fine shooters. Cleaning rod at libertytreecollectors. also the sight hood
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=40

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=40

Please, Consider Todd at family; he always has some nice stuff and you can get some select bayonets. He is also a sponsor of this forum. I would have recommended him first if I knew he had VZ 24 stuff, you just never know what goodies he has in his cave :thumb:

Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

It has a partial crest, looks like they made mild attempt to scrub it. Bolt was electropenciled, but still the smoothest bolt i have ever felt, but that is not all that many.
Thanks proffesh, wil do as soon as i can get it from store.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:25 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice score and they are great shooting rifles! Looks like a RC gun and most likely doesn't have capture screws. If you need them, I have them, original cleaning rods and bayonets for the VZ24's. We also have surplus 8mm as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Please explain to me what 'capture scews' are? I think i have an idea, but want to make sure.
And does anyone know if a Yugo bayonet will,fit the Czech mauser?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:41 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

kymauser wrote:
Please explain to me what 'capture scews' are? I think i have an idea, but want to make sure.
And does anyone know if a Yugo bayonet will,fit the Czech mauser?

Capture screws are the small lock screws that secure the two large action screws at the front and rear of the triggerguard.

Your Yugo bayonet should fit the vz 24