Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

2018 - Mosin Nagant Prices

1891, 91/30, M38, M44, 91/59, P-series, M27, M28, M28-30 and M39
Ozzman
United States of America

2018 - Mosin Nagant Prices

#1 Post by Ozzman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Did anyone else see the 91/30's Classic was selling last week?
Most of them were "run-of-the-mill" 91/30's that had very little to no collector value.

They were selling for $299, and they sold out in under 3 hours!

How many of us here are sitting on 20+ Mosin Nagants that were under $60? :lol:
I know I am.

Personally I know I will not be selling my collection anytime soon, but I want to see if any of you guys are thinking about cashing in on the 450% price increase.
What is the definition of PROCRASTINATION?
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

dmg4
United States of America

Re: 2018 - Mosin Nagant Prices

#2 Post by dmg4 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Prices have gone up disproportionately on the lower priced models. Snipers still top out at around $1000, as they did 5 years ago. Spam can ammo seems abundant at about $150/440 rounds. Still relatively cheap.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:09 pm

At Cabelas- Richfield WI, somewhat south of West Bend, WI the store has 23, Mosin 91/30s both hex and round receivers. The oddest ones I have seen with a nice small, hardly visible import mark on the left side at the wood line, and a tiny new serial number not visible to my eyes-- you need a magnifier to see the mark it was so small, on the right side of the receiver at the wood line. These had a import mark that read "FOX TROT SKN NY".
They also have a matching M44 Romanian 1955 date and a Miss matched Hungarian both priced at $349. Each had slings. Each was a nice rifle. Now in contrast, the 91 30s were rusted dogs.

The import mark was very light and blended into the blue on the 91-30s--very odd. Actually great small indiscreet marks that must post date 2002 since they are on the receiver and not the barrel. These are matching rifles, but they had huge rust spots looking like an old rusty car part or craters on the moon. Way too rusted on the metal. They had sports on the receiver top,the bands, and the bolt, like water damaged during crate storage. Great wood stocks, but the metal was so poor due too large rust spots that I would not have paid $49. These 91/30s were also marked $349 for rusted examples.

Back in the day, us old guys got a pallet of tins, 2 tins per wood box with Albanian 7.62x54R when we thought $29 a tin was expensive. And to make matters even more nuts, a gal at fleet & farm corrected me when she sold me two wood boxes at $29 for a single case of 2 tins. I told her it should be $29 a tin or $48 a crate, she informed me she was a manager and I was wrong. Being an honest, ex marine not wanting to take advantage of stupidity, I then went back and purchased with cash, the store pallet of some 30 cases -- some 60 tins of Albanian ammo at $29 a case :dance: :dance: :doh: :doh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: What a scam, no shipping. I had to pay tax.
I paid with cash-- something like $900. Half the sale price :lol: :lol:
I had the crews cash weekly per diem on me, so all the stars alingned that day. Heck, I still must have some 20 tins left after 20 years. You bet, they never knew who took them for a ride. The biggest joke was store shipping guy loaded it onto my pick up and he then got a taller pallet of ammo to put back into the store. I never found out how long it took them to realize their error. I got the ammo home, got to the bank to replace the crew per diem, and was smiling all the way to my archaeology project.
Those were the good old days. Each F & F store had approximately 50 boxes of Mosins to search through and ammo by the pallet------ Then there were Enfields and Turk mausers- so many they were stacked in boxes in the rear portion of the store. Generally they would let you look at or open 10 to view. But if you knew the guy at the counter, and it was early in the day during in the middle of the week, he would let you view all of what you wanted to see and I got to select the best of the best. But then I just wanted one Tula for each year of production. And a single example of each M44 . :doh: :doh: I would have never dreamed of an end to Mosins, or ones costing $250 or more.

I guess the question is who really wants to buy a Mosin for such a high price? I will have to see current prices at our biggest WI show in Fond du Lac in OCT. Last yer they were around $200-250.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

dmg4
United States of America

#4 Post by dmg4 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:26 am

A 1970 spam can at $29, adjusted for the change in the CPI would cost $159.50 today. Present 7.62X54R ammo cost is almost exactly the same price it was nearly 50 years ago. Back in 1970, I would have worked over 20 hrs to buy one can of ammo (working on a fishing boat, busting my butt). Today I can do so in about 4 hrs, and all I do is get paid to read, write, and talk. Life is good.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

Ozzman
United States of America

#5 Post by Ozzman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:35 am

72 usmc wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:09 pm

I guess the question is who really wants to buy a Mosin for such a high price?
There are new collectors made every day that didn't ride the cheap surplus wave that we did.
I guess that if you really want to own one today, you are going to pay to pry them out of other collectors hands.

Apparently, there are quite a few people willing to do exactly this.
Classic is selling #4 MK 1's for $599.99

These were $75 at AIM in 2003.
What is the definition of PROCRASTINATION?
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

roverboy
United States of America

#6 Post by roverboy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:55 pm

I've looked at prices on several websites and the prices are crazy. If and when I decide to sell mine, I should do ok.

Tommy Fox Stone
United States of America

#7 Post by Tommy Fox Stone » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:20 pm

roverboy wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:55 pm
I've looked at prices on several websites and the prices are crazy. If and when I decide to sell mine, I should do ok.
The same here I'll do very well too if I sale mine...
Shoot, Shoot, Shoot Your Gun, Kill Them All Right Now. Bang!, Bang!, Bang!, Bang!. Life Is But A Scream!...

C.S.A...

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:20 pm

AIM has a batch of Mosins 91/30 at $299 + see the deal locator section for info I posted. The new norm must be approximately $299.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

steamer
United States of America

#9 Post by steamer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:46 pm

Ozzman wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 pm
... but I want to see if any of you guys are thinking about cashing in on the 450% price increase.
No won't be selling mine as temping as it might be. Forums are full of posts with people saying "I wish I had never sold that." Perhaps if I were sitting on 20+ that might be a different story but I have a mere handful (well two handfuls) so I'll keep mine for now.

Just think what they might be worth ten years from now! Sounds like a good retirement investment. :handgestures-thumbup:

Mike Sr
United States of America

#10 Post by Mike Sr » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:42 am

Because of my failing eyesight, I will be selling off most of my small collection of C%R rifles in the near future. My two Mosin Nagant's will be the last to go, if at all. It's just something about them. Are they worth $300? Not to those who bought them years ago, but to a new collector, I believe they are well worth it.

Show your significant other the recent ad from Aim. A great opportunity for an "I told you they were a great investment."

Mike Sr.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#11 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 pm

I agree ---- and the 91/30s are dogs, who knows what the different M44s from other countries are now worth, a M38 in its original stock, and the M91s??? Price a non SA marked Remington or Westinghouse! :doh: :doh: The SA marked M91s seem to stay price wise were they were at about 5 years ago. And those anemic Nagant revolvers that you could not give away at $79 seem to go around $300, unless it is one with the import mark stamped over the maker's mark on the left side. Any Nagant lacking an import mark ( big bucks) or one with the tiny import mark on the bottom of the barrel are pushing $300 or more in WI. Imperial stamped ones are always in great demand. You got to love Russian weapons. My bring back WW II Russian Toks are pushing $800-1000. I thought I was crazy when I paid $300 for them. I believe the Russian stuff increased more then the Carcanos or Arisakas. It seems only the French weapons are not much in demand and rarely seen or shot at the clubs.

ammolab
United States of America

#12 Post by ammolab » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:10 pm

dmg4 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:26 am
A 1970 spam can at $29, adjusted for the change in the CPI would cost $159.50 today. Present 7.62X54R ammo cost is almost exactly the same price it was nearly 50 years ago. Back in 1970, I would have worked over 20 hrs to buy one can of ammo (working on a fishing boat, busting my butt). Today I can do so in about 4 hrs, and all I do is get paid to read, write, and talk. Life is good.
There were not any spam cans of ComBloc ammo around in 1970. Cold War, Berlin Wall, Vietnam War all in full swing.

Recalculate for mid 1980s.

wjh
United States of America

#13 Post by wjh » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:57 pm

I'm not paying $300 for a Mosin even if I didn't have any. They can keep them in their warehouse and admire them themselves.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#14 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:01 am

Back in the day, us old guys got a pallet of tins, 2 tins per wood box with Albanian 7.62x54R when we thought $29 a tin was expensive. And to make matters even more nuts, a gal at fleet & farm corrected me when she sold me two wood boxes at $29 for a single case of 2 tins. I told her it should be $29 a tin or $48 a crate, she informed me she was a manager and I was wrong. Being an honest, ex marine not wanting to take advantage of stupidity, I then went back and purchased with cash, the store pallet of some 30 cases -- some 60 tins of Albanian ammo at $29 a case :dance: :dance: :doh: :doh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: What a scam, no shipping. I had to pay tax.
I paid with cash-- something like $900. Half the sale price :lol: :lol:
I had the crews cash weekly per diem on me, so all the stars alingned that day. Heck, I still must have some 20 tins left after 20 years. You bet, they never knew who took them for a ride. The biggest joke was store shipping guy loaded it onto my pick up and he then got a taller pallet of ammo to put back into the store. I never found out how long it took them to realize their error. I got the ammo home, got to the bank to replace the crew per diem, and was smiling all the way to my archaeology project.
Actually this incident was around 2003-2006 if I remember correct. I wrote about it in the old forum, but can not find the old post. If I can find the old archaeology report I could nail it down because a crew member had a Mosin he let me shoot in Door co. WI. It was the first time I ever fired one and fell in love with it. My first was an M44 in a paper wrap that I got the same week. Back then tins were normally around $35 for ammo, but they were on sale at F & F for $29 a tin. So 2 for 29 was crazy. :oops: :oops: A deal how ever you figure it.

Airforce1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#15 Post by Airforce1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:55 pm

Aim just posted their 300 dollar mosins on Facebook and everyone was laughing at them in the comments.

Return to “Russian and Finnish Rifles”