http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 98/22 stock
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:14 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I recently bought a CZ 98/22. It is a really great shooting rifle. It is no beauty queen and has certainly been handled a lot, but it shoots great. I am trying to tiddy it up a bit and can't decide if I want to rework the stock or replace it. It has a split that starts a little forward of the magazine and extends out the right side of the rifle. It was repaired once with what looks like some dovetail method I would not have expected to see there. The split has opened back up and although is structurally sound now I would like to fix it. I could no doubt reenforce the stock, but I would sort of like it if I could get an original spec stock to put on it.

I do shoot the rifle in competitions that state the rifle has to be in as issued condition with no components that are anymore modern then what it was built with. The rifle also must be built before 1945 so no synthetic stocks. Can you find pull off stocks or original spec stocks for one of these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I would think any GEW 98 stock would work. However, these should be pretty hard to find. I would opt for a repair of your stock.

Post subject: Re: 98/22 stock
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:07 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

mrlullabye wrote:
I recently bought a CZ 98/22. It is a really great shooting rifle. It is no beauty queen and has certainly been handled a lot, but it shoots great. I am trying to tiddy it up a bit and can't decide if I want to rework the stock or replace it. It has a split that starts a little forward of the magazine and extends out the right side of the rifle. It was repaired once with what looks like some dovetail method I would not have expected to see there. The split has opened back up and although is structurally sound now I would like to fix it. I could no doubt reenforce the stock, but I would sort of like it if I could get an original spec stock to put on it.

I do shoot the rifle in competitions that state the rifle has to be in as issued condition with no components that are anymore modern then what it was built with. The rifle also must be built before 1945 so no synthetic stocks. Can you find pull off stocks or original spec stocks for one of these?

Original 98/22 stocks are a lil difficult to find the Turks replaced broken 98/22 stocks with their own M38 stocks some very minor inletting required but its not to much, An original 98/22 stock might be found through Springfield sporters or maybe get on the backorder list for one via numrich......... As far as repairing the existing stock Gorrila glue pressured into the cracks then an assortment of small bar clamps on hand (the lil squeeze to tighten ones) ready at hand to allow creative immediate clamping will work wonders, put the gorrila glue nozle tight against the crack then squeeze till ya see it comming through the opposit side then move to the next area and repeat after ya clamp it wipe off all excess glue and let it sit for a couple days before removing clamps, I've repaired a few hundred stocks this way and so far none have failed, did have a chinese split again after 500 rnds but it didn't split at the repair it was a totally new split caused by the stock being extremally dry, its since been repaired and RE MOISTURIZED this was the big issue.......