Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

MO double date Mosins at Museum in Russia

1891, 91/30, M38, M44, 91/59, P-series, M27, M28, M28-30 and M39
72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

MO double date Mosins at Museum in Russia

#1 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:03 pm

I just got my new issue of Man at Arms GUN COLLECTOR, vol 42, No. 2, April 2020. This April issue is interesting, and I found George Layman's article titled Breaking the code of the M. O.-Marked Mosin-Nagant and double-dated dilemma, pp. 38-40, more evidence supporting the idea of the M.O.. stamped receiver marking meaning they were property of the Soviet Ministry of Defense is incorrect.

Evidence in the form of identification museum placards at the Leningrad Artillery and Engineer Museum' collection of Mosin 91/30s indicate that the M. O. marked specimens on exhibit are marked Mestnaya Oborona ( local defense) or Munitsipal'naya Oborona (municipal defense). The double dated 91/30s on exhibit were dated 1938/42, 1944/49, 1935/51 and 1938/52 all stamped with different fonts. These two organizations are Civilian military organizations step up by Stalin after 22 June 1941 for defense of towns and major cities. The author observed this information while researching for his book Communist Bloc Handguns. He also indicated some oral history supporting his thesis. Mr Layman outlines his findings in this short article which is worth the price of the issue.
$ 7.95
Gun Collector is always a great read.

My examples came early from Todd at Family when everyone thought they were from the Soviet Secret Police :lol: :lol: some are triple dated. They were also found at Gander Mountain stores around 2001-2004. Rarely did you see three dates.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRare3MODDR.htm
These had import markings on the barrel. None of these were the later versions with the red paint highlighting the markings and the import mark on the receiver. Everyone paid $200-250 for examples when the common Mosin 91/30 went for $129.
But I am glad I got a few. Todd always selected the best of the best examples and I am lucky he sold what he had.
IMG_2546.jpg
The good old days back in 2006:
https://www.empirearms.com/MO-9130.htm

More info. Listed as outdated but great pictures and a list of MO dated Mosins:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMO.htm
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

ssg_lord
United States of America

Re: MO double date Mosins at Museum in Russia

#2 Post by ssg_lord » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:46 pm

I passed the information in this article on to Alexander Yuschenko, the author of a number of reference books on Soviet firearms and he states that it is 100% incorrect. According to Alexander the MO stamp is listed in recently discovered Soviet records as a stamp related to certain Soviet Army repair depots. He is preparing a article covering this information currently that should be released sometime in March. He didn't get into specifics with me but he did say that anyone who paid extra for one of these rifles(like I did :oops: ) will likely be disappointed.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:24 pm

Very interesting, let us know when it comes out. Thanks reminds me of the first story of the Yugo M57 pistols and how rare they are :lol: :lol: :lol: They still are trying to dump them 10 years later.... :doh: More common than dandelions.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

ssg_lord
United States of America

#4 Post by ssg_lord » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:24 pm

Hello, Alexander Yuschenko's anticipated article turned out to be a entire website instead. According to his website the MO stamp is a refurbishment stamp used by the Soviet Army's Moscow military district artillery armament base №38 in Pavlovska Sloboda starting in 1942. Here is a link to the new site which is already turning much of what we thought we knew about Mosin history on its head.
https://www.m9130.info/

Return to “Russian and Finnish Rifles”