http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:09 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Below is my newly acquired Rasheed (also spelled as Rashid). It was made by Egypt (then known as the United Arab Republic) in 1967 and was issued to the Egyptian Army. It was imported by Century Arms in the early 1990s from Israel.... who more then likely acquired this rifle and many like it from the Six Day War as captured weapons.

Very similar is outward appearance to the SKS. Both have twenty inch barrels, both are chambered in 7.62x39mm, both are semi-automatic carbines with attached folding bayonets, and both have a traditional rifle layout. Other then that.... the similarities end.

The Rasheed is of course based off the Ljungman rifle which of course inspired the Hakim rifle. Pictured with it is my 1968 produced Chinese Type 56 Carbine made at the Number 26 Factory.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:48 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

very cool rifle have you fired it yet
i have seen them advertised some years back but never had the chance to grab one

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Nice rifle! Gunshow find?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:00 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Wait until you shoot it and the puff of gas hits you in the head.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:14 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

SmokinTurkey wrote:
Nice rifle! Gunshow find?

Gunstore find. It was on consignment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:57 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I really need to get one of these to keep my Ljungman and Hakim company.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:28 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

good luck finding one they dont show up very often
i would like to add one to the collection my self

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:48 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I have one, bought it off of GunBroker. It looks new. Shooting did not go well. The rifle failed to cycle, even though the adjustment valve appears to be fully open. So, I would say, the resemblance to the SKS ends there. The fold out locking bayonet is similar, and actually difficult to open and close. The bolt handle is more convenient, it is similar to the FAL, and would have been a good idea on the Hakim. The finish on the rifel resembles the finish on Chinese SKS's although it is a bit more red, while the Chinese SKS tended to be more yellow.

As for shooting i meant to find the reason the action didn;t cycle, perhaps the gas system is blocked or the dial on the adjustment valve incorrect, I haven't had the time to mess with it. I often have to fiddle with surplus rifels to get them to operate, so I wouldn't hold it against the rifle were you to want one. As for examples, i have had issues with even SKS rifles. On one the recoil spring was backwards, the problem was odd because the cases would hand up in the chamber, and have to be knocked out with a cleaning rod. Another SKS had not been cleaned, probably ever, and the piston was carboned to the gas tube. I wouldn't think a Rasheed would be the kind of firearm you got for home defense or anything that required 100% reliability either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:34 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

My Rasheed is nothing more then a range toy. For HD duty I have things like my SBR PS90, FN SLp Shotgun, GLOCK 22, and everything else.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:18 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Mine is a range toy, too. I've shot SA 7.62x39 through it with no problems. It's also been mistaken for an SKS.

Some guy told me I had weird guns when I was shooting it. 8)