http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I was emailing my wife's uncle who is a gunsmith, now retired, living on the west coast about my custom mauser project based on a J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl 1915 Gew 98 Mauser - don't worry it's a non-matching number with original stock butchered/sporterized. One of the comments he made was it was his feeling that the early 98 actions were not suited for high pressure cartridges like the .270 Winchester and recommended I choose a low pressure cartridge like the 7x57 Mauser.

For my own education, I've asked why he felt this way but while I await for his reply I thought I'd ask here as well. Anybody have any thoughts regarding suitability of the early 98 actions for high pressure cartridges like the .270 Winchester?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:04 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

baloney - its fine for 270 , 30-06 and 8mm - and a host of others

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:43 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Some guy on the history channels tales of the gun said the Gew 98 action could withstand 100,000PSI and still survive. Whats the pressure generated by an 8MM round ? 35000PSI ?
Maybe the very early GEW98's made in the late 19th century might have weaker steel but I'm sure the wartime guns were proof tested at a very high PSI just to be safe.
I'm no expert on guns,don't assume what I'm saying is true, I'm just telling you what the history channel guy said.
Before you use another caliber make sure the gun is in good condition and the barrel doesn't have corrossion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks guys. Heard back from my wife's uncle. In a nutshell what he said is the early 98s were made from a low carbon steel and heat treated/case hardened which gave the steel its strength. The advantage is when the bolt and receiver receive an overload the receiver will set back where the locking lugs abut the receiver and the headspace will increase rather than the thing blowing up. The heat treatment / case hardening quality was variable during that time so some actions had more strength than others. He said he had pulled barrels from a number of custom 98s and indeed found setback in some. The best course is to have the receiver and bolt checked by someone with the necessary experience and equipment and reheat treat/ case harden them to remove any doubt. I received independent confirmation for another gunsmith regarding this question as well. The good news is the reheat treat and case hardening is only $75 bucks -worth that for the peace of mind.

BTW: He also mentioned this doesn't apply to the M96 Swedish as they were made from a difference high strength steel. He also mentioned this applies to the 1909 Argentine though finely machined, better than most modern day actions, is soft as well and requires reheat treating.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Also, you might want to check out Wikipedia's article on "Gewehr 98". It refers to a modification made on some post-WWI bringbacks or imports to take a more readily available surplus cartridge that resulted in the danger of a blow-back if the original round is used by mistake. I can't explain it any better than that - just look in Wikipedia.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the heads up. Yes that would be the 8x57 to 8mm-06 (30-06 case) conversion. Definitely would give you a surprise if you shot a 8x57 cartridge in one of those conversions. This won't apply to me in that my 1915 GEW 98 is a non matching number stock sporterized with a completely pitted rust bucket bore. It's a donor for a custom mauser rifle I've always wanted. If it were a matching number untouched example then I'd still be looking for a donor action and that puppy would be tucked safely away.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:26 pm 

Quote:
he said is the early 98s were made from a low carbon steel and heat treated/case hardened which gave the steel its strength.

All large ring 98 Mausers are low carbon steel and case hardened, even the post war Czechs and Yugos. They should all handle -06 and .270 pressures. Thousands of GEW 98s have been converted into everything from 22/250 to .458 Win Mag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

The heat-retreat is only necessary for the really high-pressure modern large-caliber rounds like .338 or such. .270's not much hotter than a 7x57 and has been around since what, the 1920s?